HikVision DS-7608NI-E2/8P - some pics and first impressions

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is not all, I heard a rumour and seen evidence that there will soon be a new firmware released with all the extra option for motion detection as you see on Firmware 3.2.1.

The firmware is 2.5.6

Take a look at Hikvision Home Page and click on for example the product page for the 2332i camera and click on the download tag and download the full manual for the camera and you will notice a new firmware 2.5.6 with all the extra motion detection options such as face detection etc.

Most of if not all the cameras have this new updated manual on there download page.

chrstodav

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Phillip, read your thread. Don't worry about setting up motion detection for each camera, set it up in the NVR.

HMMZZ, where can I get the new firmware???

Chris

chrstodav

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
part #: EFB0412HHDSize: 40mm Voltage: 12 VDC Suppliers: Delta Electronics
40mm
12VDC

Model
BrandDelta Electronics
ModelEFB0412HHD
Specifications
TypeDC Fan
Fan Size40mm
Bearing TypeBall
Voltage12 VDC
RPM8200
Air Flow9.43 CFM
Noise Level30.2 dBA
ConnectorLead Wires
ColorBlack
Dimensions40 x 40 x 20 mm

So I pulled out the fan. If one can be found that is quieter..........

I've had a quick look for an alternative and there are quieter fans around. Also, When I pulled the power supply apart, it was pretty cool including the components. The fan is maybe even overkill to some degree?

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Another option is to add a resistor to simply reduce the fan speed.

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Look at these MagLev fans: http://www.sunon.com/tw/products/pdf/maglev.pdf The manufacturer makes noise and reliability their main concern. I haven't tried one yet but they seem to at least address the noise issue.

Also, these NVR's are rated to operate at ambient temps up to 55C (130F). That's about the hottest my attic gets in our hot Texas summers. If you have the NVR located in your living space I doubt you'll see temps above 30C so the current fan may be a bit of overkill. Choosing a fan with a lower CFM rating probably wouldn't have a detrimental effect to cooling in this case but should be quieter.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks philip da. I think I can just make out the Delta P/N as DPS-200PB-185 A. Those 1U fans (40mm x 40mm x 15mm) are loud. I have mine in a closed door closet so it doesn't really bother me now, except when I go in that closet which is rare. I DO LIKE the NVR, it does what it is supposed to do. The only things I don't like are the fan noise and that the remote login is missing some menu items like shutdown. I really shouldn't need a monitor next to the NVR ever, but you do. The built in POE switch is nice as it keeps your IPC traffic off your LAN so as not to interfere with other traffic like Netflix, VoIP, etc. Of course an external POE switch with one port to your main LAN would do the same.

The external fan "hack" is interesting. I think I'd use two fans, replace the PSU fan with a lower CFM 12V fan which will be much quieter and still use a secondary fan as shown. That way if one fails there will still be air flow. The PSU has no way to signal the NVR of fan failure (unlike PCs).
Off of fendermans comment unless you isolate the cameras ONTO their own network switch or not they are going to be on the same network. most places with IP cameras give them their own netowork. 2 cameras you should notice them heck i have 4 running on mine and don't notice them causing network issues

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone with a DS-7608NI-E2/8P NVR could post the results of the "gethardinfo" when telnet'd into their NVR? I want to see how close it is to the OEM version of the NVR that I have.

Here is my result:

# getHardInfo
Start at 2015-02-27 07:13:25
Serial NO : <omitted>
V3.0.8 build 140913
KernelVersion: V1.0.0 build 140722
dspSoftVersion: V1.0 build 140828
codecVersion: V1.0 build 100520
hardwareVersion = 0x400
encodeChans = 0
decodeChans = 8
alarmInNums = 0
alarmOutNums = 0
ataCtrlNums = 0
flashsize = 0x10
ramSize = 0x200
networksNums = 1
language = 1
devType:HNR30P8-8
bootPartition = 2
randomCode =
#

chrstodav

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What is the procedure to get this info. I'll do it if can explain it to me.Also, what do mean when you talk about OEM version?

Chris

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Chris - to get this info - log in to a command line with telnet (assuming that you have enabled it under Configuration | Network settings | Advanced) and issue the command (note it's case-sensitive) 'getHardInfo'
A good Windows telnet client is PuTTY.

scn101 - I have a friend with a similar NVR that shows this:
192.0.0.64 login: root
Password:

BusyBox v1.2.1 (2014.03.07-06:46+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of davinci system commands.
# getHardInfo
Start at 2015-02-05 20:00:30
Serial NO :0820140922BBRRxxxxxxxxxWCVU
V3.0.8 build 140830
KernelVersion: V1.0.0 build 140722
dspSoftVersion: V1.0 build 140828
codecVersion: V1.0 build 100520
hardwareVersion = 0x400
encodeChans = 0
decodeChans = 8
alarmInNums = 0
alarmOutNums = 0
ataCtrlNums = 0
flashsize = 0x10
ramSize = 0x200
networksNums = 1
language = 1
devType:DS-7608NI-SE/P
bootPartition = 2
randomCode = EBVCSY
# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l)
BogoMIPS : 999.42
Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x3
CPU part : 0xc08
CPU revision : 2
Hardware : dm385evm
Revision : 0000
Serial : 0000000000000000

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

chrstodav

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Alright, time for an update.

I have managed to download the iVMS-4500 app onto my phone and get it up and running within the system. At home I can quickly and easily log in and see what's going on live, playback recorded footage and take snapshots etc all using my home wireless network. I haven't yet set it up through the Hikvision DNS on my phone, but it won't be long before I will.

The more exciting thing for me toady was to hookup another network cable from my NVR in another room back to my main PC.
I was thinking last night that I have 2 network connections on my PC motherboard and I only use one of those for the main network. So.....I ran a second cable from a spare port on the NVR to the second network plug on my PC. It works a treat! Now I have easy access to my NVR and each camera via my main PC. No more do I have to plug a netbook or laptop into the NVR to get access to each camera's web interface. It's now always connected and easily accessed through my web browser anytime I need it.

Here's a little video I made to show you how easy it is to set up if you have a second ethernet port on your PC. I've always only ever used the one port and it never really dawned on me why you would require 2. LOL

Thanks again to Shockwave199 and his sticky'd thread for making this an easy thing to do!

Chris

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm curious as to why you need the 2nd Ethernet connection. Why not use the NVR's Virtual Host feature to access the IPCs? (Network Settings...Advanced...Enable Virtual Host) This allows you to access each camera connected to the NVR with no special cabling.

chrstodav

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm curious as to why you need the 2nd Ethernet connection. Why not use the NVR's Virtual Host feature to access the IPCs? (Network Settings...Advanced...Enable Virtual Host) This allows you to access each camera connected to the NVR with no special cabling.
Because it doesn't have that feature.

Chris

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just update the NVR's firmware and Virtural Host will be an option. It is a really useful option!

chrstodav

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just update the NVR's firmware and Virtural Host will be an option. It is a really useful option!
Update the firmware to what?? I have the latest firmware. It's well documented on here that the current firmware for this machine does not have that virtual host option in the firmware. If I have already just run this cable, what advantages would I gain apart from getting a port back?

Chris

chrstodav

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am still enjoying the results I am getting from my set-up so far. The individual camera settings are a little challenging, but all in all it's all going well. I am pleased with the fact that by using motion detection, even after weeks of recording the 2gig HDD still has plenty of free space.

I have just splashed out on the next step which includes a Hikvision DS-2CD2732F-IS dome camera, 2 x IR40 illuminators and a GK-803A mic. These will be se-up in the garage area. My 'garage' doesn't have a main front door right now and as well as the cars, I also store some tools locked away in storage cabinets. The stuff is reasonably safe, but this is the primary reason for the cameras in the first place. I chose this camera mainly because I wasn't sure on the placement and the field of view. The mic and alarm inputs are a plus and I will probably also run a PIR instead of the motion detection built into the camera.

I'll update you once have the gear and install it all.

Chris

madmikey

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Christodav, Did you have to do anything special to upgrade the firmware? I have the same model, but am extremely cautions/hesitant to upgrade to the latest firmware in case it reverts to Chinese, I really don't want to spend hours/days following the steps in this forum to get it back to english.
I also got mine from Alliexpress, and has been a flawless performer for the last 3 months. But I noticed today a new firmware version 3.3.1 (Build150422).
I currently have V3.0.10 (Build141126) Model DS7608NI-E2/8P.

Cheers.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
From another thread I just responded to: backups are always a good idea ...
What I strongly suggest if you think about upgrading is to back up your existing firmware so you have a way back should you wish.
All you need is a copy of mtdblock2 in the as-delivered state. But copy mtdblock0 and 1 also.
The easiest way is if you can add a NAS destination via the GUI. It does not need to be formatted.
Something like this for an NFS mount.
Use 'mount' to find the mount point, then something like:
cd /mnt/tnfs01
umount /dev/mtdblock2
cat /dev/mtdblock2 > mtdblock2_orig
mount /dev/mtdblock2 /home/hik

You could also use TFTP, something like
TFTP -p -l mtdblock2_orig <IP address of TFTP server>

And the same for mtdblock0 & 1, though these don't need unmounted.
Then you can either at a later date 'cat' the mtdblock2_orig' back where it came from, or you can create new firmware using @wzhick really useful tool Hiktools to get a digicap.dav that the web GUI and TFTP recovery is happy with.
Also - make a backup copy of the NVR configuration, and the camera settings, via the maintenance menu, with the filename including the associated firmware version. You can't restore configurations across firmware versions.
That way - you can put the whole thing back exactly how it was before the firmware update if you ever need to do so.
*edit* That's assuming, of course, that a 3.3.1 firmware update hasn't got the promised ability to block any attempts to revert to earlier versions.

chrstodav

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Christodav, Did you have to do anything special to upgrade the firmware? I have the same model, but am extremely cautions/hesitant to upgrade to the latest firmware in case it reverts to Chinese, I really don't want to spend hours/days following the steps in this forum to get it back to english.
I also got mine from Alliexpress, and has been a flawless performer for the last 3 months. But I noticed today a new firmware version 3.3.1 (Build150422).
I currently have V3.0.10 (Build141126) Model DS7608NI-E2/8P.

Cheers.
Works fine!. It was a bit screwy to start with and I ended up doing a re-set, but since then, no dramas. I am about to do the 3.3.1 now!

My unit was in a white and red box when I received it and was an 'overseas' model.

Chris