Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P NVR w/ POE can't detect Hikvision cameras

elk80

n3wb
Reaction score
I got Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P NVR w/ POE running on the latest firmware, 1x DS-2CD2442FWD-IW(PoE 802.3af) and 3x DS-2CD4135FWD-IZ(PoE 802.3af) on the latest firmware.
First time doing test I put everything together and managed to have all cameras working through NVR PoE ports.
Then left it to rest for 2 weeks and after powering on couldn't get any cameras working through NVR PoE ports.
Status of the every four camera keeps saying "Detecting..."
Cameras working though PoE injector connected to a router.
I've tried to:
- Manually assign IP addresses to a camera(like 192.168.254.2,...)
- I've made sure that passwords are the same on NVR and cameras
- I've activated cameras before plugging in to PoE ports thtough plugging in to the router and powering using Poe injector.
- I've reset NVR and cameras to factory defaults, I've updated a firware to the latest even though previous was pretty new
- I've tried to power camera using injector and plugged a data cable into NVR's PoE port - no luck
- I've tried TFTP firware updated and didn't get luck(firmware was trying to get uploaded for a 2 mins and then started all over again in an infinite loop)
- I've tried to connect laptop to PoE port together with cameras and SADP shows nothing, neither cameras available through the browser.
- I've tried to telnet to the NVR to enable IPv4 forwarding but telnet is not there and SSH doesn't let to enable it.
- I've tried to inactivate NVR and start it all over - no luck.

Any other ideas what else to try?
Have someone experienced this?

Attachments

cutterman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Shot in the dark here. Click edit and manually enter password you have set for cameras

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
- I've tried to connect laptop to PoE port together with cameras and SADP shows nothing, neither cameras available through the browser.
That's significant - it suggests the camera are not getting any power.
- I've tried to power camera using injector and plugged a data cable into NVR's PoE port - no luck
An injector that's using the PoE port on the NVR, ie just gives the 12v DC out?

I'd speculate that the PoE power capability in the NVR PoE ports has failed.
*edit* Or perhaps the data side of the PoE ports.
Do the PoE ports LAN lights come on when the cameras are connected?
Do you have a 12v DC power supply you could power a camera with to see if that brings the camera to life?

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
a mate of mine had same issue today, it was cheap CAT6 cable, have you tried attaching the cam direct to NVR with short 1 meter cable. In the end he upgraded firmware to 3.4.92 on NVR and enabled the NEW long distance mode (it allows power to be sent on 2 pairs).

if it is the cable it best to use S/FTP CAT7. this is not the first time I have herd of cheap CAT5/6 cable being at fault.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
a mate of mine had same issue today, it was cheap CAT6 cable, have you tried attaching the cam direct to NVR with short 1 meter cable. In the end he upgraded firmware to 3.4.92 on NVR and enabled the NEW long distance mode (it allows power to be sent on 2 pairs).

if it is the cable it best to use S/FTP CAT7. this is not the first time I have herd of cheap CAT5/6 cable being at fault.
Cat7 wont be any better if its the cheap CCA copper clad aluminum..
Cat 5/6 will be fine if its not crap CCA...

elk80

n3wb
Reaction score
Shot in the dark here. Click edit and manually enter password you have set for cameras
I've tried that, it shows connecting for a short time and then a warning sign with comment Risky password. But I've set strong password (abcd1234-) on nvr and cameras

elk80

n3wb
Reaction score
That's significant - it suggests the camera are not getting any power.

An injector that's using the PoE port on the NVR, ie just gives the 12v DC out?

I'd speculate that the PoE power capability in the NVR PoE ports has failed.
*edit* Or perhaps the data side of the PoE ports.
Do the PoE ports LAN lights come on when the cameras are connected?
Do you have a 12v DC power supply you could power a camera with to see if that brings the camera to life?
Cameras getting power, small camera gets ~3Watts and large one ~5.1Watts. The LAN lights (grèen and yellow leds) on PoE ports and cameras are ON and blink from time to time rarelly

Yes, injector gives 12v DC for PoE
I don't have power supply 12v DC at this moment.

It's something with data on PoE ports.

elk80

n3wb
Reaction score

I've tried both short (1meter), medium lenght cables - same story. Same cables were working fine for the first time.
I've upgraded to 3.4.92 snd tried both short distance and long distance modes.
The power comes in on PoE ports if you see the screen.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Cables are good and work great between router and PC
That statement makes no sense..
Crap CCA cable will also "work" from router to pc...that is how they get away selling them to suckers..

elk80

n3wb
Reaction score
That statement makes no sense..
Crap CCA cable will also "work" from router to pc...that is how they get away selling them to suckers..
Same cables work through poe injector and have been working on the same nvr during the the first try

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've tried both short (1meter), medium lenght cables - same story. Same cables were working fine for the first time.
I've upgraded to 3.4.92 snd tried both short distance and long distance modes.
The power comes in on PoE ports if you see the screen.
yes did on mates too, but as soon as he enabled long distance on the cams started working, have you tried it ?

as fenderman say's cheap stranded cable in crap for PoE, the power give cross talk to other cables effecting the data side, long distance mode splits over 2 pairs, so each pair has half the power to help with cross talk.

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cat7 wont be any better if its the cheap CCA copper clad aluminum..
Cat 5/6 will be fine if its not crap CCA...
thats true but you have a better chance, amazon has some excellent CAT7 30m £13, yes pre-terminated but you can just cut ends off, so as long as you do not require longer run than 30m it is by far the cheapest / best I have found. I have used these cables all over and never had any issues.

30m CAT.7 Ethernet Gigabit Lan network cable 10 / 100: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Attachments

elk80

n3wb
Reaction score
yes did on mates too, but as soon as he enabled long distance on the cams started working, have you tried it ?
I've tried that about 10 times. I've tried with and without nvr reboot. I've tried all poe ports

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've tried that about 10 times. I've tried with and without nvr reboot. I've tried all poe ports
did it stop detecting ?, it should allow you see in SADP app to reset cams etc

elk80

n3wb
Reaction score
did it stop detecting ?, it should allow you see in SADP app to reset cams etc
When i've tried long distance PoE it stopped detecting ptetty quickly comparing to keep detecting on short distance poe mode. No, sadp still can't sere cams on long distance/short distance with laptop (static 192.168.254.100) plugged in to poe port

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When i've tried long distance PoE it stopped detecting ptetty quickly comparing to keep detecting on short distance poe mode. No, sadp still can't sere cams on long distance/short distance with laptop (static 192.168.254.100) plugged in to poe port
and I assume the same with short 1m cable ?

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've tried that, it shows connecting for a short time and then a warning sign with comment Risky password. But I've set strong password (abcd1234-) on nvr and cameras
that still maybe detected as risky as you have letters in order of alphabet, are you sure the password is correct by reconnecting via PoE switch to pc direct ?

elk80

n3wb
Reaction score
that still maybe detected as risky as you have letters in order of alphabet, are you sure the password is correct by reconnecting via PoE switch to pc direct ?
Password is correct, i can see a stream from the camera when I connect it to PoE injector and a router.
Hikvision guidlines show exaples with acceptable passwords and tgey have abc..123..in the examples