Hikvision FIRMWARE TOOLS - change language, extract files and create own firmware

systmworks

n3wb
Reaction score
Ask your supplier for the English firmware.
Please advise... how is the firmware used by sellers (of Chinese NVR's hacked to English) different to the official firmware from the Hikvision site, then modified to show English using the MDT hack or Firmware Tools mod shown on this forum (unless I am confused and they dont achieve that)?

Last edited by a moderator:

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These firmwares like the custom downgrader are modified, to circumvent obstacles put in place to keep a Chinese region camera only Chinese.

You can't MTD hack a 5.30 or above camera. But you can on lower fw

systmworks

n3wb
Reaction score
You can't MTD hack a 5.30 or above camera. But you can on lower fw
Thank you. My most recently bought cameras (Chinese models, hacked to English, via AliExpress) are running 5.3.3.
Even though that is too new for MDT hack, if I can get supplier to email me a copy (and share it!) of this firmware that works in English on a Chinese camera, would that be better than 5.25 ?

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you. My most recently bought cameras (Chinese models, hacked to English, via AliExpress) are running 5.3.3.
Even though that is too new for MDT hack, if I can get supplier to email me a copy (and share it!) of this firmware that works in English on a Chinese camera, would that be better than 5.25 ?
Any firmware that has the new encryption incorporated would help.

- - - Updated - - -

Should have added that has been hacked by the Chinese.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
the latest firmware can not be taken via serial cable?

Speed666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any firmware that has the new encryption incorporated would help.

- - - Updated - - -

Should have added that has been hacked by the Chinese.
Hacked? 5.3.5 is hard....

Got NAND dump of flash. Unpacked, extracted, got RSA key to decrypt and got all files in readable form. But now we have:
- Bootloader must be signed (new version inside) - to be able to flash Uboot update (i mean downgrade bootloader) - no way
- FIrmware is enrypted and signed (little modified AES),
- Kernel file is signed, CRCed and CPIO also has CRC check
- files are encrypted and signed

At now i see no way to touch it. I can repack it but it wont be accepted by original web interface because of lack of private RSA key. :(

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I suspect the Chinese have a leaked private RSA key if they really are hacking 5.3.5 - bear in mind they may have friends family etc that work in HQ. Just my guess.

My understanding it's pretty secure just like speed666 says.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some say mtd 5.30 and up is possible, but no proof of this, to prove correct at this time,
So we need a nand tool, as used in xbox modification to dump erase then rewrite an older bootloader.

Last edited by a moderator:

v1adg

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I upgraded the firmware of my cameras and now my nvr doesnt see it. The device model number is an HNR30P8 and it's a rebranded hikvision. I would like to flash it to it's proper firmware of DS-76xxNI-E1(E2). Is this possible or am i screwed?

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I upgraded the firmware of my cameras and now my nvr doesnt see it. The device model number is an HNR30P8 and it's a rebranded hikvision. I would like to flash it to it's proper firmware of DS-76xxNI-E1(E2). Is this possible or am i screwed?
Are you sure your camera's are still functioning? Can you log into your camera's web gui? Provide some details about what you did.

v1adg

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you sure your camera's are still functioning? Can you log into your camera's web gui? Provide some details about what you did.
I upgraded my DS-2CD2332 Cameras to the latest firmware from V5.2.5 build 141201 to 5.3.0 build 150513 via the nvr upgrade. I didn't have time to validate by plugging it into a separate switch and connecting directly to it but when I called hikvision support they said that most likely I would need to upgrade my nvr to see it. The upgrade said that it succeeded.

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had a HNR30P8 NVR for a while and it had no problems to see v5.2.5 cameras but I never tried anything higher. I was running V3.0.8_150209 on the NVR. I no longer have that NVR. What FW rev are you running? I think you should first make sure the camera's successfully upgraded and is functional by logging into one via its web interface (use a POE switch or a POE power injector or just use an external 12V supply on the camera to power it for the test).

uralits

n3wb
Reaction score
Прочитал всю тему. Утилита не работает. Тестировал на DS-2CD2132-I, изначально был мульти-языковая прошивка 5.2.0 , была обновлена китайской прошивкой до 5.2.5 (в 520 отваливался NAS). Затем по инструкции через SSH был отредактирован файл IEfile.tar.gz - появился англ.язык (кроме китайского). Но с iVMS эта камера работать не стала из-за несовпадения языка клиента с камерой (работает только если в iVMS сменить на китайский язык). Обновился до 5.3.0 взятой с европейского сайта и перед обновлением утилитой изменил язык на 2 (китайский) - веб администрирование выдало ошибку - несовпадения языка и не впустило в конфигуратор. Дальше понизил прошивку с помощью Dawngrader 530 (предварительно утилитой изменил язык на 1), веб конфигуратор заработал, но только на китайском. Затем я взял обычную прошивку 525 и пропатчил язык на 1 - обновился и остался все равно только китайский, опять отредактировал файл IEfile.tar.gz и добавился англ.язык, но iVMS видео от камеры все равно не показывает. Так что я не понимаю в чем смысл утилиты hiktools. Пробовал разные варианты, но мультиязыка не получил. Есть другие камеры 2132, но их трогать не стал, т.к. успеха с одной камерой не добился. Обновлял как через сайт, так и через iVMS (когда на сайт не впускало)

Speed666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is just one think that now we can do. Stop buying chineese models because it's not worth the rish of damaging camera. Still no clue about RSA key so new 2335 cams with 5.3.5 has only China lang and there is no way to switch it.

wzhick

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There is just one think that now we can do. Stop buying chineese models because it's not worth the rish of damaging camera. Still no clue about RSA key so new 2335 cams with 5.3.5 has only China lang and there is no way to switch it.
Such a method exists.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Read the entire topic. Utility is not working. Tested on DS-2CD2132-I was originally a multi-language firmware 5.2.0 has been updated to firmware China 5.2.5 (520 everything was good NAS). Then the instructions via SSH was edited IEfile.tar.gz file-Eng has appeared (except Chinese). But with this camera work iVMS became due to mismatch between the language of the client with the camera (this only works if the iVMS change in Chinese language). Upgraded to 5.3.0 taken from a European site and changed the language utility before upgrading to 2 (Chinese)-Web Administration issued an error-language mismatch and not admitted in the configurator. Further lowers the firmware using Dawngrader 530 (the utility has changed the language on 1), the Web Configurator earned, but only in Chinese. Then I took the normal firmware and patched the 525 1 language-updated and still remained only the Chinese, again edited the IEfile.tar.gz file and added to the English language, but the video from the camera iVMS still does not show. So I don't understand what is the meaning of the utility hiktools. Tried different options but mul′tiâzyka has not received. There are other cameras 2132, but their touch has not become, because of the success achieved with one camera. Updated both through the site and through iVMS (when the site is not admitted)
The region code of the camera is held within the flash memory in the 'hardware descriptor block'.
Hiktools allows to change the language in the header of the firmware you'd like to load, it does not change the region of the camera. For that you must do the 'mtd hack' or equivalent.
Hiktools works well for unpacking and re-packing the older generation of firmware for cameras, and the current generation of firmware for NVRs.