Hikvision IE Plugin Not Working with Windows 10

Reaction score
It's not that - I can get to the camera through the router OK. I use a synology NAS and that has 'surveillance station' built in). If I try and view the camera it says 'Chrome no longer supports NPAPI plug-in' and won't show the image. I need to get a stream out of it that not active-X

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If I try and view the camera it says 'Chrome no longer supports NPAPI plug-in' and won't show the image. I need to get a stream out of it that not active-X
If Synology's Surveillance Station is anything like QNAP's Surveillance Station - QNAP removed the Active-X/NPAPI requirement and replaced it with a stand-alone client 'QVRmon' that is launched when Playback or Monitor is used.
It sounds like that's something to look into on the Synology NAS - though it should be an automatic prompted install if it exists.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Step 1: Open google Chrome
Step 2: Type chrome://flags/#enable-npapi
Step 3: click on ' enable ' NPAPI
Step 4: click on restart now at the bottom of image
If you are logged in you may need to accept the plug-in again. This can be in the upper-right corner of image by on the puzzle piece with a red x, and then click allow.
Now everything should work again.
That was only a temporary possibility on one specific version of Chrome as they progressed to stopping it completely.
That possibility is not available on the current version.

But the question was about a similar but different (not webcomponents) problem on a Synology NAS.

Reaction score
Riiight... so am I right in thinking that's not got me any further forward? There WAS a way of re-enabling NPAPI in Chrome but it's now been removed, so UNLESS I can somehow configure the Synology NAS to do something clever then I have a bunch of cameras that you can't see over the web (which is the whole point of them in the first place)?

Am I missing something?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Reaction score
What does any other Hikvision owners do? That might be a good way to tackle this. There seem to be enough of them for sale, there must be some other owners out there!

Reaction score
I think I have discovered the problem and the (lack of) solution

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=88528

That sorry tail seems to tell it all. There is no solution. Possibly Operas MIGHT work but it seems that everybody is running away from NPAPI (Like Flash). It seems that people first started to have these problems some 2 years ago and pretty much nothing has been done about it. It's not possible to view your network camera over the internet? I suspend disbelief but it seems so!