HIKVISION mtd Brick Recovery Guide

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think you may have to do this with a complete power pull on the camera, rather than resetting the POE port.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The bootloader isn't going to peek at the firmware file until it's fully downloaded it.
So the basic problem is figuring out why the tftp server isn't being probed. Assuming the camera is actually still trying to do that.

Reaction score
I setup a port mirror on the switch last night and didn't see much coming out of the camera. So I'm going to bring a ethernet tap home from work and see if the issue persists. I'm sure that the bootloader is corrupt, just based on how it's acting. Anyone know a place selling a serial cable for these camera's?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Reaction score
Here are my findings. I took a laptop, switch, broken camera and hooked them all up directly. This is by passing my normal poe switch. I took a 12v power supply and powered the camera that way. I addressed the laptop as 192.0.0.128/8 (255.0.0.0). Then ran wireshark and the tftp server. I found that the camera sent it's magic packet but couldn't reproduce this again. So I did some digging around and try to just create a static arp entry on the laptop. Tried it again and bang the camera downloaded the digicap.dav. I did this with 3 firmware releases (5.3.0, 5.2.5, and 5.1.6). I get to the step that says "Completed file [blah blah blah] transmit". However nothing after. Am I not waiting long enough??

Reaction score
@whoslooking - I also tried that 4line firmware. No luck and by the way. I'm a idiot. I found the camera boxes and it appears the broken one was made on 06/2015 and 5.3.0 150513. Yet it was loaded with 5.2.5 141201.

Last edited by a moderator:

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like Karol you have a broken one, shame as most can be recovered but if it won't take the tftp I'm at a loss,

It would seem that most of the 5.30 models from China have been downgraded to 5.25 until a block is added in the newer models they will still ship on 5.25

Reaction score
@whoslooking - So what was that mtdx talk on another thread about? I was reading that thread and didn't get a clear picture if it's possibly the same issue.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Changing the mtd 5&6 changes the language settings of the camera.
From Chinese to En/ml

wifi75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hello, can you help me?
I copy mtdblock5 & 6 from another my worked camera and I replace one .
Now my cam not start, I try to replace firmware by tftp server but nothing...

How ca I do?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's never a good idea, copy you original mtd files back as per this guide.

The mtd files 5&6 are not changed by an update.

wifi75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes already replace after update original firmware but camera not start.
and if I ping camera...see below

ping.JPG

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure the original files are not modified in any way, if you made an error they won't work.

wifi75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
sure...
I think that my camera is now garbage.... :sad: