Hikvision's new 4MP 2-series

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've had the DS-2CD2042WD-I camera for a month now and I'm really disappointed in my purchase. The daytime image is very good, but the night time image is so poor it renders the camera useless. To be clear, I can get a night time image to look okay but as soon as the subject moves it becomes a horrible blur. I tried every setting possible and have even tried adding external IR in an effort to increase the exposure settings to minimize the blur and ghosting. If I could send this camera back I would. I also own a Hik DS-2CD2232-I5 and consider this camera far superior to the 4MP bullet. The 2232-I5 has very good night images, no blurring, no problems. I purchased the 4MP bullet and I'm simply trying to get good images, day and night, of my car in the driveway which is only 15 feet from the camera. I mention that in order to illustrate that I'm not expecting the IR on this camera to cover more than 25 to 30 feet. At this point I sometimes feel like I have a second job trying to correct the dismal night time performance of this camera. I think I should have got the DS-2CD2342WD-I which is an EXIR like my 2232_I5. In short, I think the DS-2CD2042WD-I is something to stay away from.
What have you set the exposure time to?

xyamas

n3wb
Reaction score
What have you set the exposure time to?
Hello fenderman, I've tried them all. Beyond 1/100 the image becomes so dark I have to go back down. I settled on 1/50 as this seems to decrease the blur and ghosting but it's still so bad that when my wife goes for her walk at 5am and returns at 6am, if I didn't know her, I'd never be able to identify her from the video. Today I played around with external IR thinking that if I can increase the available light I could increase the exposure time and minimize the blur. What happened is this; I now have more available IR and could increase the exposure up to 1/200 without the image turning black; but what I found is that a moving subject is still incredibly blurry and still leaves a ghost trail. If you have some suggestions I'd appreciate your help. What's frustrating is the exposure on my DS-2CD2232 is set at 1/12 and the night time images of moving people are very good. You would have no problem identifying anyone if you had a still shot from my saved video with the 2232.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello fenderman, I've tried them all. Beyond 1/100 the image becomes so dark I have to go back down. I settled on 1/50 as this seems to decrease the blur and ghosting but it's still so bad that when my wife goes for her walk at 5am and returns at 6am, if I didn't know her, I'd never be able to identify her from the video. Today I played around with external IR thinking that if I can increase the available light I could increase the exposure time and minimize the blur. What happened is this; I now have more available IR and could increase the exposure up to 1/200 without the image turning black; but what I found is that a moving subject is still incredibly blurry and still leaves a ghost trail. If you have some suggestions I'd appreciate your help. What's frustrating is the exposure on my DS-2CD2232 is set at 1/12 and the night time images of moving people are very good. You would have no problem identifying anyone if you had a still shot from my saved video with the 2232.
You should be getting good video at 1/30. Start from the defaults again. Disable wdr (high wdr settings and high noise reduction settings can cause motion blur). Adjust the gain. Set the camera back to default and post a video of what you are seeing.

xyamas

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi fenderman, I already had the wdr and blc both turned off. I have the gain set at 80. I have the white balance set to AWB1. I'm an absolute newbie to this site. I know how to save a clip with Blue Iris. Once I have the clip saved on my PC, I'll try and post. I see the "Insert video" icon in the above toolbar. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks!

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello,

I've had the DS-2CD2042WD-I camera for a month now and I'm really disappointed in my purchase. The daytime image is very good, but the night time image is so poor it renders the camera useless. To be clear, I can get a night time image to look okay but as soon as the subject moves it becomes a horrible blur. I tried every setting possible and have even tried adding external IR in an effort to increase the exposure settings to minimize the blur and ghosting. If I could send this camera back I would. I also own a Hik DS-2CD2232-I5 and consider this camera far superior to the 4MP bullet. The 2232-I5 has very good night images, no blurring, no problems. I purchased the 4MP bullet and I'm simply trying to get good images, day and night, of my car in the driveway which is only 15 feet from the camera. I mention that in order to illustrate that I'm not expecting the IR on this camera to cover more than 25 to 30 feet. At this point I sometimes feel like I have a second job trying to correct the dismal night time performance of this camera. I think I should have got the DS-2CD2342WD-I which is an EXIR like my 2232_I5. In short, I think the DS-2CD2042WD-I is something to stay away from.
Have you tried lowering the DNR (digital noise reduction)? i think you have to keep it at 50 or below to lessen the blurring. It is around the last option under Image setting.

xyamas

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi fenderman, Sorry I didn't get back to you, I was really busy at work. I did what you suggested; set the camera back to defaults and started from scratch;what I found surprised me. The IR image looks way better with reduced ghosting and blur. The image is a bit burned, meaning there's little detail until I stand still, and let the camera adjust (I did turn smart IR on). The IR on the 2232-I5 is still better and was easier to adjust. Milisbad, when I reset the defaults the DNR was automatically set to 50. MiniOH, the I frame defaulted to 50. I made 2 clips in BI but when I went to post I found I need to go through youtube or vimeo. I'm not a social media kind of guy so forgive me for giving up at that point. Fenderman, I really appreciate the help and suggesting resetting to default at least makes the image somewhat passable. I think what I originally did was I set the camera for timed switching due to where my car (the subject of the video) is parked. It's on the North side of my house so it's in partial shade and the butt of the car is in full sun. The camera is mounted under the North eave. A very contrasty location. If someone has IR video of moving subjects with the DS-2CD2042WD-I that they consider good to very good please post and let me know what settings you used. Again, Thanks for all your help.

Brakar

n3wb
Reaction score
Fox captured early morning. No IR.

[video=vimeo;152821042]https://vimeo.com/152821042[/video]

Reaction score
Got my DS-2CD2342WD-I 2.8mm cam last week. So far, it's pretty good using the web interface but the iVMS-4200 software doesn't like having H264+ enabled and also doesn't like SVC being enabled.

I get this image below (or simply a black screen) when any of the above are set. I though it might be a bug with the software trying to display it but recordings/snapshots when it looks like this also are green all over.

Cam has firmware 5.3.6

I'm also not liking that it seems like I have to have the iVMS software always running on my PC to get the motion detection recording so I have a 7608NI E2 on the way from Nelly's. I've got a 4TB seagate surveillance drive in my PC now that I'll put into that when it shows up.

Also, is it a bug with the iVMS software that you can't actually see any of the motion triggered recorded files unless you close out of the software and then log back in? I can clearly see that it's recording if I walk outside and have teamviewer open to view my PC's screen and I also get the email snapshots of me standing at the door but when I go into the playback menu, that video is not there. If I close out of the software and log back into it again, I see it. I'm wondering if that's just the messed up way the software works or if I don't have something set right? I guess it won't matter once the DVR box shows up.

Dutchlincoln

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
just to inform others, my camera ordered from Aliexpress.com had WR in serial number, I have flashed new firmware without any problem
5.3.6 has new UI, feels snappier
audio problem is still present unfortunately :(
Is this WR needed?
I have a 5.3.6 sw version, but no WR in the serial, only numbers. What might be the future problems?
Thnx.

Spotmom

n3wb
Reaction score
I had this exact problem and called Costco with the intention of returning my system, but they put me through to Lorex (Hikvision) support and here is the answer that fixed it. I posted this on your video, too.

"I had this problem and Lorex (Hikvision) said that it was the effect of my NVR getting older and not being able to cope with the mismatch of my Motion and Continuous recording settings. They said they had to be the same. I changed the motion from 720p back to 1080p to match the continuous and lowered the bitrates on everything and so far it has cured the problem. Not happy that my NVR must basically be dying and can't be run to the specs it is supposed to support after 2 1/2 years, though."

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm new here, but have appreciated all of the information that has been shared on these 4MP units.

I currently have eight Foscam 1.3MP POE bullets units, seven 1MP C1 units, and one AXIS fisheye and use Sighthound running on a MacMini, which has worked out pretty well for an initial setup but I'm frustrated by many things:
1) level of detail in general, and for most of them, not enough viewing angle (currently 4mm/70°)
2) spiders and wasps nesting in my bullets
3) lack of IR in my fisheye AXIS M3007
4) Sighthound crashing every few days

I'm looking to upgrade much of my system, including better outdoor cameras (for which I'm considering either the DS-2CD2342WD or the DS-2CD2142FWD, at 2.8mm) and an NVR. For the NVR, I like the looks of Synology's Surveillance Station but others here seem to recommend Hikvision's solutions. I'm also considering the Hikvision 12MP fisheye as a replacement for the AXIS unit, if anyone has any experience with that one (or the 6MP version).

Based on the recommendations in this thread, I'll be sending @milkisbad a message, but I'd love to hear if anyone has any specific recommendations. I've seen some references to these 4MP Hiks working with Synology but not at full resolution - has that been resolved? Are the Hikvision NVRs the best bet for monitoring/recording 4MP streams from these cameras? My eaves are black or dark wood, so I'm not very excited about white cameras (the Foscams are silver, at least, and I painted the shells a darker color) but I notice that LTS has a black version of the dome camera which could work, I suppose. Also, for the dome or turret cameras, if I'm flush-mounting to an eave do I really need a junction box? Trying to prevent as many drill holes as I can and keeping them as invisible/sleek as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

mradulo

n3wb
Reaction score
I am keen to buy a new 4MP 3-series turret camerawhich is all over ebay and amazon for a good price, but puzzled by the fact that it is not listed at all on the HIKVISION website?!
The model name is Hikvision DS-2CD3345-I 4MP EXIR Turret.
I would appreciate if anyone could help to solve the mystery.
cheers,

mradulo

n3wb
Reaction score
@mradulo: I believe that's the Chinese market version of the 2342 with some differences like a plastic base and no WDR
@jeremyclark I am a bit puzzled after a double check, as the 2342 model is also indicated as DIGITAL WDR on ebay, just the same as the 3345 model?! It is clear though that 2342 model is much more expensive, Maybe just a non-discriminative copy-paste by the sellers?

Last edited by a moderator:

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Absolutely I use mine outside the garage. Very discrete. Can have some issues with glare from the ir on the dome.