Hikvision's new 4MP 2-series

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For those getting the new 4mp Hikvisions, are you receiving Chinese region cameras with hacked firmware? or are these western region cams with factory-installed English firmware?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My dad and I each have one of the Dahua 4Mp IPC-HDBW4421R-AS ordered, 2.8mm lens on both. I will post snapshots when they arrive.

Edit: Actually his is the one without audio. IPC-HDBW4421R
@bp2008, would love to see shots from that camera. Do you have any idea if its a 3 axis camera?

Last edited by a moderator:

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ordered the hikvision mini dome and turret to replace my lightning damaged system. Both are 20 days until In stock even though the listing says otherwise. I'll post pics when they arrive.

Dutchie30

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For those getting the new 4mp Hikvisions, are you receiving Chinese region cameras with hacked firmware? or are these western region cams with factory-installed English firmware?
From what I"ve been told they're western region cams with factory-installed English firmware and future firmware upgrade possibility with files directly from Hikvision.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
From what I"ve been told they're western region cams with factory-installed English firmware and future firmware upgrade possibility with files directly from Hikvision.
If that's the case, that would definitely explain the jump in price as the current price for these 4mp are pretty much in line with the western region 3mp cams. Hopefully what you've been told is correct and a comparable and hackable chinese region 4mp cam will come out soon for under $100 USD. Especially now that Dahua has 4mp cams in the $80-$90 range.

skeet25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The presence of CH in the serial number indicating Chinese region, is this applicable to only the cams or does it also apply to NVR serial numbers?

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I've received my 4MP today. I'll post some comparisons and specs over the next few days. First a list of the two cams + config options:

3MP: DS-2CD2532F-IS (Firmware: V5.2.3 build 141024, Encoding: V5.0 build 140714)
4MP: DS-2CD2542FWD-IS (Firmware: V5.3.2 build 150603, Encoding: V7.0 build 150525)

The 4MP is a confirmed English cam. It has a full English sticker at the back and came in a retail (e.g., colored) box. According to the seller it's fully upgradeable for the future via official firmwares published by Hikvision. It cost me $195 including DHL shipping.

Video settings are at maximum for both, meaning:
- highest bitrate
- highest quality
- highest resolution
- highest framerate
- Iframe interval at 20

Image settings have been made equal on both:
- No image adjustments
- Exposure 1/30, gain 100
- Day setting
- No BLC area
- No WDR
- AWB1
- DNR off

Here are two day shots taken at ~15:30. The cars are approximately 10-12 meters away.

3MP:

Link to full resolution: http://www.imgdumper.nl/uploads8/559e7b28103c0/559e7b27c9c47-picture_day_3mp.jpg

4MP:

Link to full resolution: http://www.imgdumper.nl/uploads8/559e7b19196ee/559e7b18b85f5-picture_day_4mp.jpg

These are both snapshots taken directly from the camera. I'll post some evening/night shots when I get around to it.

I'm quite excited about the 4MP quality. There's a clear difference in day quality. License plates are readable on the 4MP (although blurred out for you guys), whereas on the 3MP they're barely readable.

Any questions, just ask!
That day shot looks really nice, I got my credit card out, where did you purchase these from? I like the fact that they are full US versions.

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The seller is smoking some good chinese weed...500 dollars? lol
EDIT: i see its for 4 units..
I would wait for the turret units to become available..they are superior to the bullets in every way..No idea why folks still use the bullets..
Could you please explain to my y turret units are superior to bullets and is that also true of dome cams? Just trying to learn something here.

Thanks

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Turret cams usually have the infrared LED(s) separated by some distance from the lens. Most domes and bullets put the infrared LEDs in a ring around the lens. The turret design has two major benefits:

1. Spiders and other bugs are attracted to the infrared source and in the case of a dome or bullet, they tend to sit right in front of the lens, causing alerts and blocking the view and leaving their crap all over. On a turret, they are less likely to block the lens because the infrared source is not surrounding the lens.

2. When the infrared source is separated, as it is on a typical turret cam, it is practically impossible for the camera to suffer from "IR bleed" effects. IR bleed effects are fairly common with domes that haven't been installed quite right, and are a little less common but still possible with bullets.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What BP said, plus turrets are more vandal resistant because its harder to push them out of position either intentionally or accidentally (kids playing ball)...The ir light seems a bit stronger on the turret. Depending on how you mount them you may be able to stuff the pigtail behind the turret and not need to use a junction box.
Personally I think they look much better than the bullets as well.

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Turret cams usually have the infrared LED(s) separated by some distance from the lens. Most domes and bullets put the infrared LEDs in a ring around the lens. The turret design has two major benefits:

1. Spiders and other bugs are attracted to the infrared source and in the case of a dome or bullet, they tend to sit right in front of the lens, causing alerts and blocking the view and leaving their crap all over. On a turret, they are less likely to block the lens because the infrared source is not surrounding the lens.

2. When the infrared source is separated, as it is on a typical turret cam, it is practically impossible for the camera to suffer from "IR bleed" effects. IR bleed effects are fairly common with domes that haven't been installed quite right, and are a little less common but still possible with bullets.
Thank you for the clear explanation & Yes I can confirm that the spider problem is very real and a big pain in my but, I have to clean my bullet cams off several times a month. So where would you use a dome over the turret?

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What BP said, plus turrets are more vandal resistant because its harder to push them out of position either intentionally or accidentally (kids playing ball)...The ir light seems a bit stronger on the turret. Depending on how you mount them you may be able to stuff the pigtail behind the turret and not need to use a junction box.
Personally I think they look much better than the bullets as well.
Thank you as well for your response so I will ask you as well, Where would you use I dome over a turret?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you as well for your response so I will ask you as well, Where would you use I dome over a turret?
I personally would never use a dome over a turret. The ONLY advantage they have is that the are slightly more vandal resistant.

Mel42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for the clear explanation & Yes I can confirm that the spider problem is very real and a big pain in my but, I have to clean my bullet cams off several times a month. So where would you use a dome over the turret?
If the spiders are to much you may want to consider adding an external IR and turning the internal off, this will keep the bugs away and eliminate IR bleed plus give you better IR coverage. I have had very good results with CMvision IR's, running close to 2 years with no burnt out LED's
http://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR56-Outdoor-Illuminator-Adapter/dp/B00EDRMWVG/ref=pd_sim_60_12?ie=UTF8&refRID=1J4256CKDEXC9BRXFB53

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I personally would never use a dome over a turret. The ONLY advantage they have is that the are slightly more vandal resistant.
Good to know, The only dome i installed here as at the front door because its installed low and I was afraid someone mite tamper with it. The other 5 cameras I have are all bullet but I am really liking the sound of the new 4MP so if I pull the trigger on getting some I will definitely get the turret to replace my bullet cams.

Thanks again...

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the spiders are to much you may want to consider adding an external IR and turning the internal off, this will keep the bugs away and eliminate IR bleed plus give you better IR coverage. I have had very good results with CMvision IR's, running close to 2 years with no burnt out LED's
http://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR56-Outdoor-Illuminator-Adapter/dp/B00EDRMWVG/ref=pd_sim_60_12?ie=UTF8&refRID=1J4256CKDEXC9BRXFB53
Thanks, I will have a look at the CMVision but for now I am OK. Just have to spray the hose every so often to clean the webs.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.