Hikvision's new 4MP 2-series

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think you corrected it as I was posting. Sorry!

Bullets look nicer IMO, so that's one reason. I also think bullets are a better visual deterrent. But I do agree turrets > domes unless they are within easy reach.
No problem..
The spider mitigation alone make the turret more attractive..also the the night vision is better (exir) and its way more vandal resistant than a bullet which can be easily pushed out of the way..
Aesthetics is a personal preference so I cant disagree there.
Truth be told if a camera is within easy reach its doesnt matter what its design..no camera has xray vision..

Mel42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Dutchie30 (and anyone else getting the new 4mp cams in), would love to see some WDR comparisons since the new cams have "true WDR" which should be superior to the "digital WDR" on the 3mp units. The digital WDR really makes the colors look washed out if you turn it up enough to really do much good, so I'm hoping the true WDR would improve the shadows and bright areas while still letting the image look realistic.

Would also be curious to see some night images at 1/3 frame rate in color and black/white (even though it would have motion blur) just to have a brighter and less noisy comparison of the low LUX improvements.

I'm using some of the 3mp cams as "nature cams" and the added resolution wouldn't really be worth replacing what I've got since bandwidth limitations don't allow me to even utilize all that's currently available....On the other hand, the lower LUX and true WDR could potentially make an upgrade worth while in terms of sunsets, tree shadows and noisy/grainy night images.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would really consider this an option if this seller was one of the known good ones (CCTV Camera China or XinRay). Doesn't look like this one has been around all too much with being on Ali only since Nov of last year.

If anyone does end up getting one of the turrets, please let me know where and I will soon follow.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would really consider this an option if this seller was one of the known good ones (CCTV Camera China or XinRay). Doesn't look like this one has been around all too much with being on Ali only since Nov of last year.

If anyone does end up getting one of the turrets, please let me know where and I will soon follow.
The problem is - as per the 2332 thread where one went wrong with CCTV China and they weren't quick to respond - that although a good one means you will get the camera dispatched, if something is wrong or you end up with big customs costs then you are on your own. But that's the risk you take, as long as you are aware before hand then all if fine. Having said that, I don't feel like Amazon or eBay is any better.

Dutchie30

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dutchie30 (and anyone else getting the new 4mp cams in), would love to see some WDR comparisons since the new cams have "true WDR" which should be superior to the "digital WDR" on the 3mp units. The digital WDR really makes the colors look washed out if you turn it up enough to really do much good, so I'm hoping the true WDR would improve the shadows and bright areas while still letting the image look realistic.
(images removed as they don't show WDR)

I'll try to get some good night shots tonight when I have the time. I also wanted to see how the cam performs with IR, but haven't had enough time during the night to actually fiddle with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The pictures you have taken are not suitable to evaluate the WDR feature. First of all there is no sun in the pictures (there are no shadows anywhere), it seems that you took them in a rather cloudy day. Therefore the contrast is rather flat or homogenous across the picture.
In order to test the true WDR ability of the camera (i.e. of the sensor), you must take a picture during a sunny day and with portions of the picture illuminated by the sun and part of the picture being in the shade. A true WDR would not need to adjust the WDR setting because the sensor can cater for the wide dynamic range of the light without the need of a digital WDR adjustment. A camera like the 2CD2332 would washout the sunny parts of the picture if you adjust the image brightness for the shaded parts of the picture OR it would darken the shaded parts of the picture if you adjust the image brightness for the sunny parts of the picture.

Dutchie30

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The pictures you have taken are not suitable to evaluate the WDR feature. First of all there is no sun in the pictures (there are no shadows anywhere), it seems that you took them in a rather cloudy day. Therefore the contrast is rather flat or homogenous across the picture.
In order to test the true WDR ability of the camera (i.e. of the sensor), you must take a picture during a sunny day and with portions of the picture illuminated by the sun and part of the picture being in the shade. A true WDR would not need to adjust the WDR setting because the sensor can cater for the wide dynamic range of the light without the need of a digital WDR adjustment. A camera like the 2CD2332 would washout the sunny parts of the picture if you adjust the image brightness for the shaded parts of the picture OR it would darken the shaded parts of the picture if you adjust the image brightness for the sunny parts of the picture.
Thanks for this explanation! I wasn't sure what WDR would actually do, but now I know. Unfortunately I don't think I can create a scene with both direct sunlight ánd shade where I'm currently living, I'll leave that for another forum member.

Fyi, I've removed the images to keep the thread clean.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you have a porch in the entrance of the building which is partly covered, then you can shoot a picture where half of the image looks outside the porch and the other half is from the covered porch area. If the day is sunny this will increase the contrast between the two halfs of the image and will allow us to evaluate the ability of the camera to handle a scene with very high contrast parts in it.

Check the third picture in this post http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/2576-Images-and-Video-from-HIK-Vision-DS-2CD2312-I-or-DS-2CD2332-I?p=21558&viewfull=1#post21558

The image part in the left upper part of the image is washed out due to the sun. I adjusted the image brighness fo the right half of the image.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The pictures you removed have their own value to evaluate the effect of the WDR setting. Therefore your pictures prove the fact that if your image does not have high contrast parts, adjusting the WDR would actually make the picture worse than better. I would recommend you to reinstate your pictures as a demostration of wrong usage of the WDR setting.

Dutchie30

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wow, big difference on the night color 1/3 exposure! All of that annoying, streaky, blue noise is gone!

On the other hand, the b/w 1/3 exposure, though less noise on the 4mp, actually looks brighter to me on the 1/3...Kinda odd considering the 4mp is supposed to have a lower LUX rating than the 3mp on b/w mode, too.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't call there is a big difference, just a marginal improvement. I would expect turret model will be much better then this dome at night. I have both of these cams in 3MP version and turret cam performs better, but still overall, not worth an upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I wouldn't call there is a big difference, just a marginal improvement. I would expect turret model will be much better then this dome at night. I have both of these cams in 3MP version and turret cam performs better, but still overall, not worth an upgrade.
I disagree, I think this is a huge improvement. I cannot wait, I just ordered 40 more of the 3mp versions and it hurt me to order them as I want the 4mp versions now that I've seen them. Very much worth it to me, but I am actually using night footage almost daily to catch people and the better the shot the more likely the arrest.

I just got a shot a few minutes ago from an IP cam where the moron stole a large item and waled right under the IP camera during the day, analog would not have been good enough. A lesser IP might not have got the shot, and I was able to link the person to night images from earlier this year. I need IP and the better the shot the happier I am! I will not replace the 3mp Hik cameras I have up as I agree they work fine, but I will replace the 1mp older cameras I have and even the 3mp ACTi cameras I have will be replaced by these.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Night looks better, but I wasn't overly impressed with the difference during the day. I certainly appreciate the pics, but those pics indicate no need to upgrade from an existing 3MP setup unless you're building something new IMO, and even still I don't think the current price difference is worth it.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Night looks better, but I wasn't overly impressed with the difference during the day. I certainly appreciate the pics, but those pics indicate no need to upgrade from an existing 3MP setup unless you're building something new IMO, and even still I don't think the current price difference is worth it.
Exactly my point, the improvements are negligible for the current premium in price. I would wait until it drops closer to 3MP range

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
On the 2532, the price difference is about 25 dollars...and that is not factoring in the dhl shipping...
For the 2332 and others the price is still much higher, but im with razer, the low light is much improved and I would get these even for a 50-75 dollar premium..the sample shots also dont accurately reflect normal mounting where the subject would be much closer to the camera...seems like the noise is improved substantially over the 3mp...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I like the improvement in night vision, definitely. I have two or three glitchy Chinese 5MP cams I'm just itching to swap out for these, but I want the price to go down a little further first. Probably going to buy the turret versions this time instead of bullets, to reduce the number of insects covering the lens. I just don't want to pay $155+ for each cam.