Hikvision's new 4MP 2-series

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do any of the Hik's or Dahua cameras (outdoor) have the ethernet port on the actual camera instead of a pigtail?

I really do not feel like drilling a 1" hole in my exterior wall if I can get away with 5/16" (and then crimp an RJ45 on the cable.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Do any of the Hik's or Dahua cameras (outdoor) have the ethernet port on the actual camera instead of a pigtail?

I really do not feel like drilling a 1" hole in my exterior wall if I can get away with 5/16" (and then crimp an RJ45 on the cable.
Not that ive seen....You can mount a junction box or if you have siding, you can use a siding mount..there should be enough clearance with a siding mount to mount the connection behind the mount (between the mount and siding) or if you use a turret, you should have just enough room to stuff the cable but using a siding mount will give you room to breath.. https://www.google.com/search?q=siding+mounting+block&es_sm=122&biw=1517&bih=674&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0CKgBEPwFKAFqFQoTCLvI_JDCk8cCFcU3PgodgrYHRA&dpr=0.9

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks - I do not have siding... Instead I'd be mounting it on wood above my front door.

I plan to go with a turret at this time.

It's really surprising that these vendors don't have an easy way to use smaller holes - like even if using a pigtail, maybe it connects to the camera using a micro-USB type connector or something... While I realize that might not be the right platform, surely a connector that would allow a SMALL hole to be used rather than a 1" one.

A 5/16" hole is literally 1/10th the area of a 1" hole. Easier to plug up, insulate, etc...

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got the 2CD3345-I 4MP Chinese camera with English firmware that hooked up to my7608 NVR. on the phone only the clear mode two modes unelectable. anyone has that kind of problems? 3MP cams work fine with both clear and fluent mode and custom.

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a Chinese 3345 4MP with English firmware. hook up to nvr. the main ch only 704X576 !!!!!!!! no sub channel !!!!!NVR is 7616 English version. others 3MP work fine.

smoothunit

n3wb
Reaction score
Try resetting the camera. I've had 2 out of my 5 that needed a reset to enable the sub-channel.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks - I do not have siding... Instead I'd be mounting it on wood above my front door.

I plan to go with a turret at this time.

It's really surprising that these vendors don't have an easy way to use smaller holes - like even if using a pigtail, maybe it connects to the camera using a micro-USB type connector or something... While I realize that might not be the right platform, surely a connector that would allow a SMALL hole to be used rather than a 1" one.

A 5/16" hole is literally 1/10th the area of a 1" hole. Easier to plug up, insulate, etc...

I have had cameras where the cable connects directly to the camera and I have not had good luck with them at all. Indoors is fine, no big deal and works great but outdoors has been a nightmare. There is no way to really seal the camera well when the cable has to run inside a hole in the camera casing. Usually they have a larger hole so you can get the cable in with or without an end on it, then they want you to waterproof it yourself. This requires flex conduit to the back of the camera for bullets, and for domes there is no elegant solution. Water gets inside, condensation issues, you name it. Then one day the camera goes poof due to something shorting out. I'm looking at you ACTi.... I decided having a hole in an outdoor camera that is not factory sealed is a horrible idea lol. Out of 200 or so ACTi cameras installed I bet I have less than 50 left even with valiant efforts to seal them. Not all were water damage, they HATE lightning strikes too and will die when all other brands are fine on the same switch. Sorry, drifted off into ACTi dislike here....

Anyway, if I were designing a camera for sale there is no way I'd not have a pigtail for an outdoor camera. The returns from water damage would be too much.

Brakar

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I have just received a DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS 4MP WDR Camera from AliExpress. Now I need to get a POE injector. In the manual for the camera and on the camera itself, it is written it runs on 12V current. I tried to order a 12V poe injector from AliExpress, but the seller claims I need a 48V injector. Anyone who know which is right / can post a link to a suitable poe injector?

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Brakar, 12v is only for the DC power jack on the camera's pigtail. Standard PoE is 48 to 56 volts by design, and the camera will run on that. Just don't plug the PoE injector's power supply directly into the camera because, like I said, the DC power jack on the camera is intended for 12v.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Hi, I have just received a DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS 4MP WDR Camera from AliExpress. Now I need to get a POE injector. In the manual for the camera and on the camera itself, it is written it runs on 12V current. I tried to order a 12V poe injector from AliExpress, but the seller claims I need a 48V injector. Anyone who know which is right / can post a link to a suitable poe injector?
Below is the best POE injector. It's compact just like a regular power brick and priced right. Been using them on all of my 6 Hik cams.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Best-Universal-48V-0-5A-Wall-Plug-POE-Injector-for-IP-Phone-IP-Camera-NEW-/311414046579?hash=item4881b93f73

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
But be aware that it's a passive Poe, not 802.3af compliant "POE Type: Passive POE " so it will apply 48v independent of what's on the other end.

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use a 2.8 to cover my driveway and the front street as I live in a cul-de-sac. Every other camera is 4mm for me.
How wide is your driveway? My driveway is 2 cars wide and 4mm lens covers that perfect with a little leftover:D

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bad news ! Hik are removing crossing line in the new 4mp ?
That's a disappointment. I don't use that right now but I was going to try it so I could try and cut down on false positive recording caused by using motion detection.

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Razer and MrFixit, do you have any shots of your 4mm and 2.8mm you could send our way? I might consider doing a 2.8mm at the front door as both of you suggest and then 4mm or 6mm for the other areas.
Here you go, Also I need to get the ladder out and realign my front yard camera so please excuse the bad alignment problem, Its a bit lopsided.

Front Yard 2.8mm Lens

Driveway 4mm Lens

Attachments

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree with bp2008, Take a look at this link http://wrightwoodsurveillance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=318
Those are the ones I use for single one or two camera installations, The fine folks at Wrightwood are great to deal with. Anything more then that then you should be looking at something like multi-port poe like this one- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0098SMH4W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=I1HBFQBZH9MLQ3

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not that ive seen....You can mount a junction box or if you have siding, you can use a siding mount..there should be enough clearance with a siding mount to mount the connection behind the mount (between the mount and siding) or if you use a turret, you should have just enough room to stuff the cable but using a siding mount will give you room to breath.. https://www.google.com/search?q=siding+mounting+block&es_sm=122&biw=1517&bih=674&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0CKgBEPwFKAFqFQoTCLvI_JDCk8cCFcU3PgodgrYHRA&dpr=0.9
I agree with fenderman, I just installed a Hikvision dome using there optional wall bracket and I was able to stuff the connectors behind the wall bracket. You could also just purchase a weather proof single gang electrical box like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044FQX0I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s04
And use these connectors http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006N2U180?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s03
And these covers http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MYE8P0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages03

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
With respect to the pigtail being stuffed in the camera...

I forgot to mention that I'm mounting it above a door - where an overhead roof (for the front porch) would extend 7-8 feet out in front, and 3-4 feet to the nearest side.

It would not be hit by direct liquid moisture. Water in the form of humidity - sure, but it is well protected from rain or melting snow.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
With respect to the pigtail being stuffed in the camera...

I forgot to mention that I'm mounting it above a door - where an overhead roof (for the front porch) would extend 7-8 feet out in front, and 3-4 feet to the nearest side.

It would not be hit by direct liquid moisture. Water in the form of humidity - sure, but it is well protected from rain or melting snow.
Just wrap the connection with coax seal and it will be fine..

Sent via Taptalk