Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
What about the TP-Link PoE splitter? ($10 - $20) @Amazon

mpbcam

n3wb
Reaction score
What about the TP-Link PoE splitter? ($10 - $20) @Amazon
If you're talking about this one: Amazon.com: TP-Link Gigabit Ethernet PoE Splitter Adapter (TL-PoE10R): Electronics

It's only POE, not POE+

I saw a lot of cool POE splitters with nice, small form factors, even some that had the waterproof connector built in to the RJ-45 socket which would be a nice bonus.

Unfortunately I didn't see anything like that in the POE+ category that could deliver 24+ Watts (12V @ 2A). And the POE+ stuff was more expensive for sure, but not by that much... I just didn't know if anyone had any specific recommendations. There were a very tiny number of reviews (or none at all) for most of them which makes me leery.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Futaba

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks @nayr for the guide. I followed it and bought the parts for my 1x IPC-HFW5231E-Z bullet version. Works like a charm. I did order the mic from a different vendor on Amazon because the one you recommend doesn't have free 2-day Prime shipping on Amazon. I wanted to set it up this weekend. I picked this one instead:

Amazon.com : HIFROM(TM) 1pc High Sensitive Audio Pickup Device Tiny Spy Mini Mic Microphones Audio Sound Voice Monitoring Recording for CCTV Home Surveillance Security Camera : Camera & Photo

This one looks exactly the same and sounds very clear to me.

@nayr, any recommendation on adding a speaker to the cam? The cam also has an RCA audio out. Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Futaba,

Recommendations:
- use powered mic
- Get power by using a POE splitter.
I use an inexpensive powered mic, and am very please with the results.

Some links to parts are here:
DS-2CD2120F-IWS microphone

See the thread below with an excellent tutorial by nayr.
How-To: Audio Inputs

If you want top performance, see this thread for a bullet mic:
Bullet Mic Review

Reaction score
I was just wondering......what if you just spliced in to the stock PoE cat6 close to the camera, catch the 12V lines then slip a 5.5 x 2.1 plug on the splice(proper polarity)? Maybe sounds hokey but if you did a good job with the splice and the insulation.......? Or is it a no no to splice into cat 5/6? Could do it close to the camera. Mic will draw very little 12 volt watts, right?

mpbcam

n3wb
Reaction score
I was just wondering......what if you just spliced in to the stock PoE cat6 close to the camera, catch the 12V lines then slip a 5.5 x 2.1 plug on the splice(proper polarity)? Maybe sounds hokey but if you did a good job with the splice and the insulation.......? Or is it a no no to splice into cat 5/6? Could do it close to the camera. Mic will draw very little 12 volt watts, right?
POE has a higher voltage (around 48 volts, but really 44-57v which depends a lot on the cable distance), and to meet the power requirements that voltage is carried over multiple wires. On top of that there's a negotiation between the "client" (the camera/phone/whatever) and the POE provider (switch) regarding the class of power required.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
(around 48 volts, but really 44-57v which depends a lot on the cable distance),
The poe splitter outputs a regulated 12v, no matter what the actual POE voltage is.

Secondly, you'd be going down a very non-standard path. Sure, Cat 5 and 5e only use 4 conductors for data. Cat 6 uses all 8 conductors. Now if you connected some DC load on those lines, you're very likely to mangle the high speed data lines (with the capacitance/inductance you put onto the lines)

The poe splitter uses center-tap transformers to pass the data, balancing out the effect of extracting the DC, so the data signals aren't adversely affected.

The poe splitter is inexpensive, has all the connectors, you don't have to worry about polarity when you soldering on that DC plug onto a Cat 6 cable, etc.

Fastb

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The 4 vs. 8 conductor usage is based on the connection type. With cat 5 or greater cable, 100 MBPS ethernet uses 4 conductors, gigabit uses 8 conductors. I've run two 100 MBPS camera links on a single cat 5 cable as well as on a single cat 6 cable. The second link could just as well be carrying a DC supply voltage.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
tigerwillow, thanks for catching my sloppy description.

I said:
Cat 6 uses all 8 conductors
I should have said "Cat 6 uses all 8 conductors for 1Gb connection links"

And I could have put it in better context, eg: "It will be a very long wait before cameras move to 1Gb links, since it's not needed for a single cam's video feed"

Fastb

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
brainfart.jpg
Soon as I think I have everything figured out, I decide that I want to have sound added to my camera setup, sheesh. Constant learning at my age hurts the cells that are still available.
I am confused with all the splitter action needing to be used for sound. For example with this microphone M7WP microphone.gif and a IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 Camera.gifcamera, why do I need additional connections like a splitter and maybe a power supply? The Z5 camera already has the connections for attachments. Wouldn't the M7WP just connect to the present connectors on the camera?
If it will, is there a picture posted showing the finished connection somewhere here? in addition, is the setup completely setup in Blue Iris software or does Windows 10 have to be configured as well, so it can be heard with headphones if wanted.

Sorry for the slow thinking level, I am a quick learner though. LOL

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For wiring up mic to wires off PTZ... do you all prefer solder connections or do you have a good connector that is used to be able to disconnect later if need be. These wires are so small trying to find an ideal connector if I don't go the solder route.

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Beautiful... just slide both wires in same side and crimp.. looks like no need to strip and sealed for resistance to moisture.. ordered up

Jinx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Help please, I cannot get any audio from my setup.

I have copied the OPs setup with my Hikvision DS-2CD2185FWD-IS albeit with the coax stripped to fit the Hik's terminal block.

I have tried to enable audio in the Hik browser page but just get an error, I have tried all the formats but get the same error. Obviously no audio in BI either but I assume the camera needs it setting up first in its own config?

The config page saves fine but no sound, when I goto live view mute is always on. If I try to up the volume then the error message appears...

Jinx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you have 'Video&Audio' selected under Video Type in the Video tab of the Video/Audio menu in the camera web GUI?
You are right, I didn’t have that, video only. Typical, I looked over and over but obviously overlooked the video tab as I was only interested in audio settings :facepalm:

I can now enable the volume but still no sound output. Will have a play, hopefully something just as simple now.

Thankyou

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are right, I didn’t have that, video only. Typical, I looked over and over but obviously overlooked the video tab as I was only interested in audio settings :facepalm:

I can now enable the volume but still no sound output. Will have a play, hopefully something just as simple now.

Thankyou
Turn the Noise Filter off.

Krishna108

n3wb
Reaction score
With the OP's setup does the sound get carried over POE or do you have to run a RCA wire to the NVR?