Huisun 10x LPR (License Plate Reading) settings

jnr64

n3wb
Reaction score
It worked for me. I chose Hikvision camera. My video stream looks like: rtsp://admin:admin@192.168.0.225/h264/ch1/sub/

Hope this helps.

jnr64

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry, maybe it worked for me because I am in the trial period. So I suspect Nayr is correct about the commercial licence.

rihallix

n3wb
Reaction score
Some dumb but obvious questions:

(1) SENSITIVITY:
Is 1 the least sensitive and 100 the most sensitive?

(2) SETTING THE CAPTURE ZONE
I have cars driving towards the camera from left to right. I'm hitting an issue where the Huisun triggers the moment the car comes into view when it's the most distant from the camera. I want the camera only to trigger when the car is mid screen where the plate is closer. Should I set the red square zone:
(a) to the far right, so that only when the car gets to the far right (right before exiting) does the camera trigger
(b) mid screen
(c) left screen, this is just as the cars enter shot, I get the plate but they're too far off
(d) the entire screen

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Decided to try one of the v2 cams as LPR. Can anyone share ideal configuration? I seem to be getting either overexposed or underexposed picture when attempting with manual configuration.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know my neighbor got his working... tested in daylight, dusk, and nighttime. If no one else has settings handy I can get them from him but it'll be a few days before I have the chance to talk with him again.

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Decided to try one of the v2 cams as LPR. Can anyone share ideal configuration? I seem to be getting either overexposed or underexposed picture when attempting with manual configuration.
Thanks to pozello at post #88 and #90. I'm using his settings. Day images are very good, but night images just ok depending on the speed of the car. I noticed around the time the ir's go off or on the focus and images aren't very good. I'm zoomed in about 60 feet @8.2x at about 30 degrees to the direction of cars going past. Camera is mounted about 8'-6" high. I have it currently set at 15fps. When I review the images it can take looking at a few frames to get all the characters identified - especially at night. I will continue to experiment and tweak the settings.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
since those posts, i did notice some focu issues (apparent drift after switching day -> night ).
So i went to manual focus, which i set at night for my park preset 1.
this causes day to be slightly less sharp, but useable.

There may have been firmware updates addressing focus issues, but I haven't been following that...

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I used the same settings as in post #88 and works great. I am leaving focus as semi-auto, instead of using manual

Exposure tab: shutter priority, 1/1000, bias off, compensation & gain @ 50%
Backlight tab: WDR on @ 20
Image enhancement tab: DNR on, 2d @ 20, 3d @20

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Used one Huisun for a week now to record plates and overall it does the job. Unfortunately using Semi-Auto is not great solution as it tends to lose focus at night due to the angle I have, so I am using manual, but as we know it switching between night and day with manual focus image is slightly blurry.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
can you just leave it in black/white mode 24/7? If you have another camera that can see the road in the daytime it'll get the vehicle's color for you.. loosing the focus on a plate reader is really detrimental.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
can you just leave it in black/white mode 24/7? If you have another camera that can see the road in the daytime it'll get the vehicle's color for you.. loosing the focus on a plate reader is really detrimental.
I was thinking about it, but that means reducing lifespan of the leds possibly and extra 6 watts of power usage...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
oh the IR is not controlled directly by the light sensor but by the software.. well that sux.

i doubt the LED lifespan will be the first of your worries, but if it is you can just get an external IR and just cut the leads to the onboard IR.. with an external IR like I am running you should be able to run 1/500 with gain as low as 20% even at ~150ft.. really cleans up the plate image.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
how about setting up separate presets that differ only in the focus for day/night and find a way to switch between them automatically at dusk/dawn?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hereis a nodejs onvif module: https://github.com/agsh/onvif

I am using it with the getSnapshotUri and getStreamUri calls for raspipc.tv to discover the uri's for those..

something like this should tell it to go to preset #5:
Code:
var  http = require('http'),
  Cam = require('onvif').Cam;

new Cam({
  hostname: <CAMERA_HOST>,
  username: <USERNAME>,
  password: <PASSWORD>
}, function(err) {
  this.gotoPreset(5)
  });
});
you'll need to install NodeJS and then install the onvif module via NPM..

I switch to day/night mode externally with my home automation server, it calculates sunrise/sunset and fires off a bunch of scripts to reconfigure my cameras twice a day.

chalk4

n3wb
Reaction score
how about setting up separate presets that differ only in the focus for day/night and find a way to switch between them automatically at dusk/dawn?

Pozzello were you every able to get the focus settings to change automatically within BI?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, I set focus to manual in camera's UI and created separate presets for day & night
(same view - differ only in focus), then in BI camera properties/ schedule/ event schedule...
add events relative to sunrise & sunset that switch the cam to the appropriate preset.

chalk4

n3wb
Reaction score
yes, I set focus to manual in camera's UI and created separate presets for day & night
(same view - differ only in focus), then in BI camera properties/ schedule/ event schedule...
add events relative to sunrise & sunset that switch the cam to the appropriate preset.

How are you setting the focus settings within BI? Or are you doing this through the web interface of the camera?

Attachments

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
set the presets in the cam's web ui. call them from BI