IPC-HDW4631C-A - any thoughts?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - for those following, you may also want to follow the "Quick and Dirty Comparison of: HDW4431C-A V2 HDW4433C-A HDW4631C-A HFW4431R-Z HFW5231R-Z HDW5231R-Z"
thread here where Truth discusses his purchase of the Chinese market camera ipc-hdw4631c-a - which he believes to be the same as the USA market one N64CG53 sold by B&H and others for $120 more:

Quick and Dirty Comparison of: HDW4431C-A V2 HDW4433C-A HDW4631C-A HFW4431R-Z HFW5231R-Z HDW5231R-Z

I'm currently encouraging Truth to help us determine if that is in fact the case.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi this is my first post, I'm a total noob!

Interested in a security cam, looked online and found out that SCW makes some great stuff but seemed too expensive. Found another website (backstreet surveillance) less expensive. Similar quality stuff with a discount going on and was about to buy a camera system when I found out a NVR identical on ebay for way less money! Continuing my 'research' found out that most sellers are resellers aka the middleman, nothing wrong with it just that us budget minded consumers are always looking for the best bang for our buck. Resellers like SCW, backstreet and bnhphotovideo provide support and such but as I said I look for the better deal always and support myself through the internet lol. In my 'research' I found this Dahua ipc hdw4631c-a camera with the Dahua nvr4104-p-4sk2 to work great! Bought it on eBay from someone out of Walton, Kentucky (100% positive feedback) for around $225 (155 nvr+70cam) plus the cat6 cables and 2tb HDD. Have space for 3 more cameras at around $70 a piece.

As others have said daytime is great, night time is very limited, I plan to add a 25 IR piece for around $60. Software is all in plain English. I don't plan to upgrade it to avoid any issues as it's working perfectly. Though the day image is awesome (3072x2048@20fps) I wish it was better but I guess that would be 3840x2160@30 fps and up cameras which would cost a LOT more. BTW what's the difference between this camera and the N64CG53 sold by bnhphotovideo among others? It seems to be exactly the same camera for over $120 more. Maybe the official US version?

Overall my only disatisfaction is the range of the night vision which I'm planning to help with an IR light.
Why do you think SCW "makes great stuff"? it appears that you know nothing about ip cameras...

Ron Bergen

n3wb
Reaction score
I just bought one to use on my Synology DS with the surveillance program. All tho the DS doesn't list this particular camera model it does find it and loads the name as DAHUA - Generic_DAHUA and the Test Connection comes up with a tick and the Load Capability comes up with a tick also But there is an error "Disconnected - Please check the RTSP setting". No problems viewing the output of the camera using a web browser. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Ron

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just bought one to use on my Synology DS with the surveillance program. All tho the DS doesn't list this particular camera model it does find it and loads the name as DAHUA - Generic_DAHUA and the Test Connection comes up with a tick and the Load Capability comes up with a tick also But there is an error "Disconnected - Please check the RTSP setting". No problems viewing the output of the camera using a web browser. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Ron
sometimes you have to learn the hard way to avoid the hacked china cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Between 4431r-z , 4433ca ,4631ca , 4433f which of it is recommended ? I had a bad experience with FW upgradation on 5231r-z so planning on going with cheap chinese hacked non upgradeable cams
Dumb idea... None of those cameras will have the image quality of the starlights... Most likely your firmware upgrade problem was user error...perhaps you should buy from a reputable seller next time...

Last edited:

alexenergy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi!
i have upgraded this camera at chinese firmware.... but now my recorder don't show it... Where i can find a english moddend firmware?
Thanks

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi!
i have upgraded this camera at chinese firmware.... but now my recorder don't show it... Where i can find a english moddend firmware?
Thanks
Try asking the vendor you originally purchased the camera from.

teredactle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi folks, I just picked up one of these cameras from Amazon () and did a few searches, found this thread.
If I look at the info on the camera I see this:

Device Type VD-2T63-A - a further search on this model I found this model on the Vikylin site: 6MP 98ft IR Night Vision Starlight PoE IP Security Dome Outdoor Camera IP67 with Metal Case
System Version V2.820.003C000.0.R, Build Date: 2021-11-09
WEB Version V3.2.1.1092977
ONVIF Version 20.06(V2.9.1.1000915)
Security Baseline Version V2.1

I'm testing it and have mounted it inside as I wanted a wide angle indoor camera, even though this is for outdoor, I haven't found one and this one looked promising, to replace they Wyze cam I have that keeps dropping out (beta/unsupported RTSP, etc...).
I can say the the FOV is as wide as the WC3, so this is great.
The colour night vision doesn't seem to be as good as the WC3 ($30 cam), pretty unimpressed with this, but that's ok, B/W is fine. I've also found that I need to turn on WDR in order to see everything at the same "levels" - again comparing to WC3 which is mounted in the same spot.
Menus look pretty on par with my Amcrest, I guess Dahua menus look the same.
I didn't have to install any plugin for a browser; I did turn on HTTPS (which it defaults to after the fact) and then on TinyCam I got a message "this camera doesn't support RTSP" - I think it's because the port needs to be changed from 80 to 443; didn't test but makes sense
ONVIF works and camera works great with BI5.

It very much seems to be some version of
this: 131.84US $ |IPC T2231T ZS 2MP Starlight WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera 2.7~13.5mm Focal Length Replace the IPC HDW2231R ZS,free DHL shipping|Surveillance Cameras| - AliExpress
and this: IPC-HDW4631EM-ASE (although w/o the light)

I would much rather have a known "safe" version but availability for Canada is more sparse than the US.
I am testing and got it via Prime so I can return it if unhappy within 30 days.
Really love the wide angle on the lens, although if I set it higher than 2048x1536 the picture is "squished" and not corrected in BI despite the forced settings I use.

Would appreciate any thoughts; apologies if I should have started a new thread (I can move this over to a new one) but since there was one on this model already I used it.
TY

teredactle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I imagine all prices are USD + taxes, and shipping (?)

I do like the specs on IPC-T3241T-ZAS (@sebastiantombs I think this is what you're referencing?) however I don't need varifocal (also this is not starlight sensor).
The FOV at 130deg (D) is what I'm looking for. I don't need high MP, would much rather have quality optics. I do need audio though so in that respect it fits.

@EMPIRETECANDY (re: IPC-T5442TM-AS) I'm interested in what you mean by "beat down that one easily " - in performance optics in general and low light I presume? It's double the price of the 6MP.

I'm still testing the 6MP, have run tcpdump to see if it calls out (turned off most of the services) and I have yet to see it call out. In that respect I'm not too worried. The fact that I can never upgrade the firmware sucks though; but in the same boat with using WyzeCams with RTSP really (just using this as a reference to my use).

To be fair I'm looking for as small as possible POE camera, for indoor use, with audio, with large diagonal FOV (128/130 is gine) and good quality sensor (starlight is nice to have but not necessary). 1080p is totally fine. Such is difficult to find, but open to recommendations from the members here, if there are any such cameras that would fit this. Budget around $100 (CAD) would seem reasonable, but maybe not? :)

I saw that someone got Dahua firmware on this Lorex LNB8105X (rebranded IPC-HFW1831C-PIR ?) which seems to be a smaller size like I'm looking for.

Thanks

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The 3241 works very well at night, in B&W. Don't pay attention to terms like "Starvis", "DarkFighter", Full Color", "ColorVu" or anything else like those. They are nothing more than marketing terms from the marketing department and have no technical specification that can be referenced. A 6MP camera on a 1/2.8" sensor will not work well at night, too many pixels sharing a limited amount of light. A 2MP on that same 1/2.8" sensor will run rings around a 6MP under low light conditions. What good is resolution when all you're "resolving" is blurred motion?

Disclaimer - These sizes are what the manufacturers advertise and may, or may not, be the true size of the sensor in the camera.
1/3" = .333" Great for 720P
1/2.8" = .357" (think a .38 caliber bullet) Great for 2MP
1/1.8" = .555" (bigger than a .50 caliber bullet or ball) Great for 4MP
1/1.2" = .833" (bigger than a 20mm chain gun round) Great for 8MP

Note this list does not include 5MP or 6MP cameras. That is because there is currently no suitable sensor for those resolutions that can produce good low light performance. Sure, you can slow the shutter, exposure, down and get a good picture but that's only until motion happens then you get a blurred mess. The minimal shutter speed I've found is 1/60 second, 16.66ms. Anything slower won't provide good motion and actually 1/100 second, 10.0ms is better.

teredactle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've returned that camera, really found the quality subpar. Looking to get this instead: IPC-T5442TM-AS
I have a question on this (well any Dahua camera) and BI.
Can one use the AI in the camera (person detection) to trigger BI to record? I'm fine using BI for motion detection, but if I just want to record only when there is person detection that the camera AI supports, is that possible?
Thank you

teredactle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY could you please tell me what the diag FOV is on this model?
IPC-T5442TM-AS

I can't seem to find it anywhere, I checked on this model IPC-HDW5442TM-AS (which I believe is the same camera, says EOL) but could not find there either.

Also considering IPC-T5442T-ZE (same as IPC-HDW5442T-ZE?) which has a diagonal FOV of 136Deg (2.8mm) however I don't need varifocal and also read on here that the varifocal is somewhat out of focus around the edges compared to a non-varifocal.

Thank you

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IPC-T5442TM-AS

I can't seem to find it anywhere, I checked on this model IPC-HDW5442TM-AS (which I believe is the same camera, says EOL) but could not find there either.

Also considering IPC-T5442T-ZE (same as IPC-HDW5442T-ZE?) which has a diagonal FOV of 136Deg (2.8mm) however I don't need varifocal and also read on here that the varifocal is somewhat out of focus around the edges compared to a non-varifocal.

Thank you
If you have the following you can calculate the D FOV

H FOV
V FOV

D FOV = Square root ( (H FOV) ^2 + (V FOV)^2 )

1655147871154.png

teredactle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know, this is very basic principles (and I tried that with cameras that show all H/V/D options) but not quite working, hence why I asked.

IPC-HDW5442T-ZE shows Field of View: Horizontal: 114°–47°, Vertical: 62°–26°, Diagonal: 136°–54°, and using the formula for 114 and 62, gives me 129.8, not quite 136...

The camera I'm interested in getting doesn't give any spec for Diagonal FOV.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
IPC-T5442TM-AS

Thank you
The model we are selling now is the latest new one(-ASE), just refer to the specification here.

IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE (dahuasecurity.com)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've returned that camera, really found the quality subpar. Looking to get this instead: IPC-T5442TM-AS
I have a question on this (well any Dahua camera) and BI.
Can one use the AI in the camera (person detection) to trigger BI to record? I'm fine using BI for motion detection, but if I just want to record only when there is person detection that the camera AI supports, is that possible?
Thank you
Yes you can use the AI in the camera to trigger BI to record. That is exactly what I do for most of my cams.

teredactle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi gang, I just picked up a LBN8105x, or so I thought. Checking the info in the menu, I see: LNB8211X actually. A little digging shows the same camera under different models?

LNB8105X: (document date 2019)
LNB8211X: (document date 2018)

The specs look identical. I was hoping to get Dahua firmware on it, just unsure now since it's a LNB8211X even though spec wise it's the same.
Did lorex just change the model for some marketing purposes?

Any thoughts?
Thank you