Tomscave

n3wb
Reaction score

mjerzy

n3wb
Reaction score
New member here and at Nelly's. A lot of great information from both sites. Looking to put together an NVR system for home security.

Tony G

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow. I just spotted this thread, having signed up to this forum just today... I'm planning on buying my setup from Nelly's soon, so I'm a happy bunny! :D

jeflufa

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Ryan. Looking forward to purchasing a few items soon.

Sure would love for that DS-2DE4582-AE to have a slightly higher optical zoom though.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Ryan. Looking forward to purchasing a few items soon.

Sure would love for that DS-2DE4582-AE to have a slightly higher optical zoom though.
Generally, with a higher zoom camera you will get a much narrower maximum field of view...that's the trade off...that cam has a very wide fov when zoomed out..

jeflufa

n3wb
Reaction score
Generally, with a higher zoom camera you will get a much narrower maximum field of view...that's the trade off...that cam has a very wide fov when zoomed out..
Since its a PTZ cam, the FOV trade off wouldn't apply, right?

Just trying to understand these cameras before making a purchase ...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Since its a PTZ cam, the FOV trade off wouldn't apply, right?

Just trying to understand these cameras before making a purchase ...
It would...when you compare the cameras at their widest (fully unzoomed) and at their narrowest (fully zoomed) states. here is an example
This DS-2DE4582-AE hikvisions fov is 115-33.8 degree (Wide-Tele)...115 at its widest and 33.8 at its narrowest with the focal length going from 2.8 (widest) to 12mm(narrowest)...
Now take this 30x hikvision DS-2DF7286-AEL - Network Speed Dome - Pro Series - Hikvision USA, Inc.
You will see that at its widest point its will only give you about half the field of view (57.4 ~ 2.8degree (Wide-Tele)) as the 4x camera....but you get much more zoom...its depends on what you are trying to capture....

<tbody>
</tbody>
If you are just monitoring your home and the distances are not that great and you intend to keep the camera at wide angle most of the time, i would go with the 4x...

jeflufa

n3wb
Reaction score
It would...when you compare the cameras at their widest (fully unzoomed) and at their narrowest (fully zoomed) states. here is an example
This hikvisions fov is 115-33.8 degree (Wide-Tele)...115 at its widest and 33.8 at its narrowest with the focal length going from 2.8 (widest) to 12mm(narrowest)...
Now take this 30x hikvision DS-2DF7286-AEL - Network Speed Dome - Pro Series - Hikvision USA, Inc.
You will see that at its widest point its will only give you about half the field of view (57.4 ~ 2.8degree (Wide-Tele)) as the 4x camera....but you get much more zoom...its depends on what you are trying to capture....

<tbody>
</tbody>
If you are just monitoring your home and the distances are not that great and you intend to keep the camera at wide angle most of the time, i would go with the 4x...
Thanks fenderman; very helpful.

I am trying to capture the wider FOV when not zoomed (i.e. At 2.8mm) ... but I need enough optical zoom for a room measuring 21' x 32'. I'm trying to figure out if the 4x is sufficient enough for my space.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman; very helpful.

I am trying to capture the wider FOV when not zoomed (i.e. At 2.8mm) ... but I need enough optical zoom for a room measuring 21' x 32'. I'm trying to figure out if the 4x is sufficient enough for my space.
In a small room like that i would certainly go with the 4x camera...assuming you are trying to capture faces and not the time on someones watch :)
You may also be better off with two fixed cameras...depending on what you are trying to capture..

jeflufa

n3wb
Reaction score
This DS-2DE4582-AE hikvisions fov is 115-33.8 degree (Wide-Tele)...115 at its widest and 33.8 at its narrowest with the focal length going from 2.8 (widest) to 12mm(narrowest)...

<tbody>
</tbody>
I've been looking for a simple "distance" comparison for the optical 4x zoom.

For example; if an object is 30 feet away, how far will it appear when fully zoomed at 4x (or at 12mm)?

I can't buy the camera until I have this figured out, so I was looking for a higher optical zoom to avoid being disappointed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a simple "distance" comparison for the optical 4x zoom.

For example; if an object is 30 feet away, how far will it appear when fully zoomed at 4x (or at 12mm)?

I can't buy the camera until I have this figured out, so I was looking for a higher optical zoom to avoid being disappointed.
How will you be using this camera? What are you trying to capture?

jeflufa

n3wb
Reaction score
In a small room like that i would certainly go with the 4x camera...assuming you are trying to capture faces and not the time on someones watch :)
You may also be better off with two fixed cameras...depending on what you are trying to capture..
Interesting that you used the example of capturing the time on someone's watch ... Because, specifically, I'm trying to capture what a toddler may have in his hands (from 30' away), or what a babysitter may be removing from his hands from 30' away.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you actively going to monitor this cam and do the zooming?
Look at post number 6 by @mjb in this thread...http://www.ipcamtalk.com/hikvision/91-lens-comparisons-4mm-6mm-12mm.html?highlight=12mm
that is a comparison between a 4mm and 12mm lens...your max on the 4x will be 12mm...you will have a wider view when you set it at the widest because you can go to 2.8mm...
The cameras are not an exact match but it will give you an idea...
You can also use this tool to get some very rough estimates IPVM Camera Calculator

Last edited by a moderator:

jeflufa

n3wb
Reaction score
Look at post number 6 by @mjb in this thread...http://www.ipcamtalk.com/hikvision/91-lens-comparisons-4mm-6mm-12mm.html?highlight=12mm
that is a comparison between a 4mm and 12mm lens...your max on the 4x will be 12mm...you will have a wider view when you set it at the widest because you can go to 2.8mm...
You can also use this tool to get some very rough estimates IPVM Camera Calculator
I looked at the post by mjb, but would need the 30' point/distance to see the diff vs. 12mm; so it's still a guess. I looked at the calculator; but it's not user friendly for a newb! I'll just need to take my time and understand/learn a little more unless I can visually see an actual distance comparison at 30'.

Thanks for all your help; really appreciate it.

jeflufa

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, on occasion I will be actively monitoring this cam and panning/zooming in real-time.