mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just registered at here as well as Nelly’s.

Looking to get a 7-8 camera system and NVR.

Looking for opinions on Dome vs Turret. Are the domes as bad as everyone on the net says they are with condensation? I rather the way they look but will use Turrets if the domes are going to cause issues. My cameras will be under the soffit and ceiling on front and back porch.

Looking at the following two cameras in the dark grey version
NSC-214-DM 4MP WDR Fixed Dome IP Security Camera 2.8mm - Dark Grey - Nelly's Security

NSC-2X4-DM 4MP WDR EXIR Turret IP Security Camera 2.8mm - Dark Grey - Nelly's Security

Also looking at the following NVR with a 3-4TB Drive.
NSN-608(4K)-8P 8 Channel POE Plug-N-Play 4K NVR - Nelly's Security

Thoughts on this setup?
Welcome rrp,

You'll certainly be better off outdoors with the turrets for a number of reasons.

Also note 2.8mm lens will give you a wider FOV, and that means a shorter ID distance.

Most people prefer 3.6mm/4mm or stronger lens for outdoors. 2.8mm is better for subjects very close to the camera.

rrp0968

n3wb
Reaction score
Would you recommend the 3.6 or stronger for say....right over my front door. Or would these be better suited to monitor my driveway.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would you recommend the 3.6 or stronger for say....right over my front door. Or would these be better suited to monitor my driveway.
Hi rrp,

Don't recommend over the front door, but next to it 5 feet high and 2.8mm for that location. All other locations I would use 3.6 or 4mm, mount no higher than 8 feet.

rrp0968

n3wb
Reaction score
Getting a cam at that elevation at my front door is going to be a challenge. I am not going to drill into the stucco veneer to pull the wire and my wife would shoot me if I ran conduit down the wall. My best option is the ceiling which is a little over 10’. Also, for all the other locations, they will need to be on the soffit. House is 100% brick veneer. Getting a wire behind the brick will be a challenge...and again.....the wife/conduit thing. I was thinking of the doorbell cam in addition to the cam on the ceiling.

Attachments

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Getting a cam at that elevation at my front door is going to be a challenge. I am not going to drill into the stucco veneer to pull the wire and my wife would shoot me if I ran conduit down the wall. My best option is the ceiling which is a little over 10’. Also, for all the other locations, they will need to be on the soffit. House is 100% brick veneer. Getting a wire behind the brick will be a challenge...and again.....the wife/conduit thing. I was thinking of the doorbell cam in addition to the cam on the ceiling.
Hi rrp,

At 10 feet high with a subject below the camera you will have to accept that you will not get many good chances of an image ID shot from that camera unless the suspect for some reason decides to look up at the camera.

I've seen hundreds of video captures and camera placement is the MOST critical aspect of this. Many are wearing caps and / or hoodies which cover their face from cameras mounted too high.

Also note, doorbell cameras are really video intercom devices with some security camera features - and depending on the model you get they may not function if your internet is out or if their cloud service is out. ( Note Nelly's has a good one which will function even if your internet is out - check out their thread here on it )

Sndun

n3wb
Reaction score
Email sent.
Looking forward to getting a 4K system.
Thanks in advance.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
gave a link to a buddy regarding the NSC-DB2 3MP Wifi Video Doorbell Camera which is now Onvif compliant. Any discount code I can pass along to him?

Bslsailor

n3wb
Reaction score

To get your discount code:

1. Register on IPCT as a member

2. Register an account at Nellys Security

3. Email your IPCT username and your Nellys Information to rodaniel@nellyssecurity.com

4. Once I receive your email I'll reply with your discount code

5. Checkout and save!

(This code is a one time use)

Please reply to this thread once registered on both sites!