Learning

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Starting the process of getting security camera planing at my house. Have read the wiki and am overwhelmed with what I need to learn. Was initially thinking of getting the lorex setup that costco sells.....on sale now at $150 off. Not sure if this is the way to go or not. Would I be better off purchasing my own individual components? Quality is key. I don’t mind spending the cash to get quality.

Want to start with a couple cameras then expand.

Most important factors to me are simplicity, remote access and vid quality.

Thanks to all who have shared their knowledge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

You need to decide if you want an NVR or a PC running software like Blue Iris. That would be your first decision to make.

Look here to see info on how to make that decision.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Generally speaking those kits sold at big box stores are compromises and all the cameras are fixed focal length at 2.8mm. That won't work out really well in almost every case at some point, like when you really need to have a video that allows good identification of a miscreant.

Best bet is to get one varifocal camera and use it in a test setup as is described in the WiKi, 5 gallon bucket, filled with sand/stones and a 2x4-8 to mount the camera to. You can move that around from place to place to test with and view the video produced using the camera web interface.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Start with one good quality variable focus camera. To test your lens selection and camera placement.
Start small and go slow.

Read study plan before spending money.
======================================

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Read Study Plan before spending money
Cameras are for surveillance to get information for after the fact.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) your first camera should be a good variable focus camera to check camera placement and the correct lens.
3) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
4) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
5) Do not use wifi cameras.
6) Do not use cloud storage
7) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
8) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
9) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
10) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
11) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
12) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
13) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
14) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
15) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
16) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
17) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
18) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
19) Camera lens size, a bigger number give more range but less field of view. Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?
20) verify your camera placement, have a friend wearing a hoodie, ball cap and sunglasses looking down approach the house, can you identify them ?

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW5442-ZE ..... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
IPC-HFW7442H-Z ..... Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera -- MP variable focus AI
IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
IPC-T3241-ZAS ...... Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal -- 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal
IPC-HFW2831T-ZS ... Review-Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZS 8MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera -- 8MP Bullet 1/1.8” sensor variable focus.
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry
IPC-T2347G-LU....... Review-Loryta OEM 4MP IPC-T2347G-LU ColorVu Fixed Turret Network 4mm lens & Junction Box -- 4MP ColorVu
.................... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera.

Other dahua 4MP starlight
My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A
If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Before asking a question search the forum first...
The best way to search the forum is to use Google
In the google search window enter.. site:ipcamtalk.com ?????? ..where ?????? is the items/terms you are interested in.
Example site:ipcamtalk.com PALE MOON BROWSER

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

You need to decide if you want an NVR or a PC running software like Blue Iris. That would be your first decision to make.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks, wanting to keep things simple I‘m planning on NVR. Don’t want to get another computer as I’m all Mac.

Any input on NVR would be appreciated as well as app for remote access. Will be relying on cameras to monitor property while we are away.

Plan on POE as it looks to be user friendly and easily customizable for run lengths.

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Generally speaking those kits sold at big box stores are compromises and all the cameras are fixed focal length at 2.8mm. That won't work out really well in almost every case at some point, like when you really need to have a video that allows good identification of a miscreant.

Best bet is to get one varifocal camera and use it in a test setup as is described in the WiKi, 5 gallon bucket, filled with sand/stones and a 2x4-8 to mount the camera to. You can move that around from place to place to test with and view the video produced using the camera web interface.

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good advice thanks. I was thinking that is the case.

Reaction score
Getting an NVR: Pick the NVR brand based on the cam brand that you go with. An NVR runs much better if it is the same brand as the cams. That allows you to use all of the internal cam functionality. The maker of the NVR will have it's own remote access app.

Now that you have decided that. You need to decide on cams. In order to do that, you need to understand what you want from the system. And I mean specifically, not just 'I want to be able to monitor the house'. What does that mean specifically? Front door coverage? Back door coverage? Do you have your cars parked on the street or in the driveway? How are you going to get ethernet to those locations? So basically you need to start making a plan.

One way to do that is as @sebastiantombs stated, get a good varifocal cam and use a test rig to understand the coverage you will get at specific locations.

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks Sample! I’m leaning toward Dahua Starlight series camera to begin testing.

I have good attic access so running ethernet will be some work but it is doable.

Plan on 4-6 cameras based on my property layout. 1 in driveway, front door, back door and one in back yard to monitor weather ( rising water from heavy rain) with room to add a couple more if needed.

Any suggestion on Matching POE NVR? I browsed Dahua website but am a bit overwhelmed with all the options and jargon. Also where to buy? Happy to use forum sponsor if that makes sense as I’m very uneducated in the category and will likely need support.

Is the Dahua app user friendly or is there a better option ( assuming I switch brand camera/DVR). I looked for app in app store and didn’t see one. I use iphone so gotta have app on IOS platform.

Thanks for the assistance!

Reaction score
Sounds good. Do not buy all of the cams at once, really. Your plan will change as you get experience. My original plan (4-6 cams) prior to buying any cams was a great plan, or so I thought. But I did like many here recommended and bought one varifocal cam to test with. After testing, I was glad I did not buy and install those first four cams as they would have been a waste. I now have 18 installed spread out over 10 models. I have picked cams based on fit-for-purpose requirements. I also have five more to install once the temps get reasonable again, maybe next week as there is a cold front promised.

I bought all of my cams from @EMPIRETECANDY who is a member here and is a Dahua vendor located in Hong Kong. He does have an Aliexpress and an Amazon storefront, but I have always just sent him an email with my request. Paid via PayPal and received each cam within a week.

I use Blue Iris so I know nothing about NVRs. @bigredfish is the resident NVR expert and will probably give you a recommendation for Dahua NRVs.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The two most popular PoE NVR's are the 5000 series and 4000 series.

As @samplenhold mentions, cameras tend to multiply fast. Recommend at 16ch with at least 2 HD's

The two models are
Pro- 5216-16P-4KS2 (5000 series, 2 HD slots, 16 PoE ports, can run 4K limited FPS - Max 320Mbps Incoming Bandwidth )
Lite- 4216-16P-4KS2 (4000 series, 2 HDs slots, 16 PoE ports, can run 4K limited FPS - Max 200Mbps Incoming Bandwidth )

Biggest difference is the incoming bandwidth. If less than $100 difference, I'd always go with the 5216

Newest Dahua mobile app works pretty well on IoS

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

Right now this model working good if you want your system to be more AI, it can make 8 FD camera into 8 FR camera, you know the single 8FR camera will cost thousands USD.
If just for normal using, NVR5216-4KS2E None POE, NVR5216-16P-4KS2E is the best to go

1599098489977.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks all for the great input. I’m leaning now toward the Hikvision colorvu cameras. Will start with one and learn from there.

Happy to buy from EmpiretechAndy. Knowing Amazon takes a sizable cut, will go direct to Andy so he can keep a bit more for himself.

Planning max of 8 cameras. Don’t have the time to go hog wild on this LOL. will start with NVR and 1 Turret camera.

Andy hook me up with your recommendation please.

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input! Got the NVR and 1 camera on order from Andy! Will order the wire crimper and terminators mentioned in the wiki.

What wire is recommended? Want to get good quality, shielded wire. Probably order a spool with 500’ to start.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Want to get good quality, shielded wire
Why shielded? Unless there is a specific reason, you really do not need to use shielded. For indoor use I have used the following:

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why shielded? Unless there is a specific reason, you really do not need to use shielded. For indoor use I have used the following:

I like to do it once and done. Got shielded, outdoor cable. This will hopefully eliminate one more potential thing to deal with later.

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I returned shielded cable and went with standard cat 6 #23. Thanks for advise Southernyankee.

Got test system set up indoors for now.

Hik NVR fan is pretty noisy and runs constantly. I’m thinking it should “sleep” when not recording?

GUI display not showing mouse this morning. Not sure how to solve this.

So far unable to access via my Mac. I get missing plug in message ......installed plugins ( web video and mac ivms). Using Safari which I thought I read was recommended but can’t seem to find that reference.

This is turning out to be a PITA ( as expected LOL) with lots to learn.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Hik NVR fan is pretty noisy and runs constantly. I’m thinking it should “sleep” when not recording?

GUI display not showing mouse this morning. Not sure how to solve this.

So far unable to access via my Mac. I get missing plug in message ......installed plugins ( web video and mac ivms). Using Safari which I thought I read was recommended but can’t seem to find that reference.

This is turning out to be a PITA ( as expected LOL) with lots to learn.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
It would probably work best for you to start a specific thread with the appropriate title to get help on these issues. I know nothing of Hik, NVRs, and MACs.

Probably best place to post is on the Hikvision sub-forum to get their expertise.

Good luck!

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks Sample.......will do.