Looking for a camera security system.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Another update.

I had a phone call with the new potential installer.

He's doing an onsite evaluation tomorrow.

One other thing he said was that Dahau manufactures in California now, and that their model numbers will have a shorter code.

Also, if someone could help answer questions from post #116, that would be great. Questions about which NVR; why the listing says both compression H.264 and H.265 on different line items, and what a specification means by "1-8 ports support ePoE & EoC". What about the other ports 9-16?
He's misinformed... dahua makes nothing in the us..only the specific port support the extended Poe

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
He's misinformed... dahua makes nothing in the us..only the specific port support the extended Poe
Ok. I guess they distribute in California, hence the US version of some models. But they still manufacture in China.

He was saying that because he's installed Dahau products for the government, and they can't validate how chips are manufactured in China, that Dahau installed a US manufacturing place so the government can use them now.

But I guess it's only about distribution, not manufacturing.

I guess the "short model codes" he was referring to were just US versions, and again not indicative of where they were manufactured.

4K 16CH 1.5U ePoE NVR – Dahua North America

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are different alarm conditions to consider?

One NVR has a 4 channel alarm, another has a 16 channel alarm.

I don't know if 4 alarms is good, or more.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Had a meeting with a new installer for an evaluation.

I asked him about the alarm channels for the NVR. He said that was if you wanted to set a hardwired alarm so that it's connected to lights, your alarm system, or something else. Basically if some trigger event happens, then also do this (such as turn on some light). I don't think I'm going to do this.

From his evaluation, we talked about 5 varifocals and 4 fixed lens.

He was pushing for a 4 or 5 MP camera, saying they have improved noise filters. I told him I'd consider it, but had also wanted a quote for the IPC-HDW5231R-Z or IPC-HDW5231R-ZE.

I also asked about what if I were to source my own parts. He said he wouldn't be able to provide support for those parts, and he doesn't want to get into a situation where he can't provide support because it wasn't purchased through him.

He said Dahau would also refer me to the authorized dealer where it was purchased.

Maybe he just wants to make a profit on the parts. But it's also something to think about. I know people on the forums say they can help if there's a problem. But sometimes it's easier talking to someone on the phone, vs. a forum.

Let's see what the quoted prices for the various parts end up.

One other thing that came up, was how long the hard drive would last. He said with recording at 24/7, he's not sure how long they'd last, maybe less than a year, even for a Western Digital Purple. Or, he said there might be some lost sectors, decreasing the overall capacity. What does everyone think about this?

CBagz

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds like he’s tying to pad his pockets by making you buy the components from him. I’d be a little weary.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

I asked him about the alarm channels for the NVR. He said that was if you wanted to set a hardwired alarm so that it's connected to lights, your alarm system, or something else. Basically if some trigger event happens, then also do this (such as turn on some light). I don't think I'm going to do this.

He was pushing for a 4 or 5 MP camera, saying they have improved noise filters. I told him I'd consider it, but had also wanted a quote for the IPC-HDW5231R-Z or IPC-HDW5231R-ZE.

I also asked about what if I were to source my own parts. He said he wouldn't be able to provide support for those parts, and he doesn't want to get into a situation where he can't provide support because it wasn't purchased through him.

He said Dahau would also refer me to the authorized dealer where it was purchased.

Maybe he just wants to make a profit on the parts. But it's also something to think about. I know people on the forums say they can help if there's a problem. But sometimes it's easier talking to someone on the phone, vs. a forum.

One other thing that came up, was how long the hard drive would last. He said with recording at 24/7, he's not sure how long they'd last, maybe less than a year, even for a Western Digital Purple. Or, he said there might be some lost sectors, decreasing the overall capacity. What does everyone think about this?
He is full of crap about the noise filters...when your image is noisy after the install, he wont be swapping the cameras for you..he will simply tell you its normal - you will have no recourse...
he is also full of crap about 1 year on a wd puple, hes an idiot..really. it will last many years no problem.
I dont understand why you are dealing with these installers who do this for a living, they have no incentive to charge you proper price as they likely have other jobs where they make money on parts plus labor...
You are assuming this guy is going to still be in business or answer your support calls for free in two years...both of those are not likely...
all you need is someone to run the cable from point A to point B and crimp the ends and maybe mount the cameras...any low voltage cable installer or electrician can do that...shop around..dont look for camera guys...

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

I think most guys here install the system themselves ,this also a fun like you watch the forum here. 200usd installing per cam that is bit crazy too

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
He is full of crap about the noise filters...when your image is noisy after the install, he wont be swapping the cameras for you..he will simply tell you its normal - you will have no recourse...
he is also full of crap about 1 year on a wd puple, hes an idiot..really. it will last many years no problem.
I dont understand why you are dealing with these installers who do this for a living, they have no incentive to charge you proper price as they likely have other jobs where they make money on parts plus labor...
You are assuming this guy is going to still be in business or answer your support calls for free in two years...both of those are not likely...
all you need is someone to run the cable from point A to point B and crimp the ends and maybe mount the cameras...any low voltage cable installer or electrician can do that...shop around..dont look for camera guys...
Early on in my search in August, I called several electricians and handymen. They either wouldn't do it, or had never done it before.

This is also the 6th estimate I'll be getting, across 5 installers. One estimate was for parts only.

I have to go with someone. I have to weight the pros and cons of my experience with each one, during the estimate process.

Here's a summary of the other ones:

#107 <-----

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think most guys here install the system themselves ,this also a fun like you watch the forum here. 200usd installing per cam that is bit crazy too
Thanks. This is something I know I can't do myself. I don't have the tools, and have never done any kind of wiring like this before.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Early on in my search in August, I called several electricians and handymen. They either wouldn't do it, or had never done it before.

This is also the 6th estimate I'll be getting, across 5 installers. One estimate was for parts only.

I have to go with someone. I have to weight the pros and cons of my experience with each one, during the estimate process.

Here's a summary of the other ones:

#107 <-----
The phone book has more than several options...you gotta go through it.....paying 400 per camera just to run cable is like paying 200 bux for an oil change...you wouldnt...never heard of a handman that cant fish cable...they dont have to have expertise in setting up cameras.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So the 9th camera I thought about adding last week would be in the garage.

Do you think there would be enough light at night, either when the side door is opened that connects to the side yard, or the garage door itself?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My garage is 20x20. At night, a tiny bit of light shines in from the windows on the garage door, and a little from the service door to the right, but the majority of the light is coming from the camera's infrared. This picture is from a non-Starlight camera, so I'd imagine that a Starlight would look a lot better.

Cam10.jpeg
(click on thumbnail <and patiently wait> to enlarge)

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My garage is 20x20. At night, a tiny bit of light shines in from the windows on the garage door, and a little from the service door to the right, but the majority of the light is coming from the camera's infrared. This picture is from a non-Starlight camera, so I'd imagine that a Starlight would look a lot better.

View attachment 27834
(click on thumbnail <and patiently wait> to enlarge)
That looks great. Thanks.

When you say service door, you mean the door to the rest of the house?

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How are the installation instructions on the NVR? Does the instruction booklet take you through the different system configurations?

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is possible to do 24/7 recording, using either the NVR5216-16P-4KS2 or N54B3P NVR, right?

I see under "recording mode", there's "regular". I want to confirm what that means.

I would do the 8 outdoor cameras 24/7, and the garage one on motion.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks.

Also, I just want to make sure I understand something, so I'll ask again.

When I have the NVR connected via HDMI to the TV upstairs, after I go through the settings to display the images on the downstairs TV, using the on-screen UI from the NVR, will the images similarly appear on the TV upstairs?

I'll just have to turn on the TV upstairs and go to the right HDMI input, and then see the same things I was seeing downstairs?

So I won't need to go through a UI upstairs, as long as I set things on the UI downstairs?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks.

Also, I just want to make sure I understand something, so I'll ask again.

When I have the NVR connected via HDMI to the TV upstairs, after I go through the settings to display the images on the downstairs TV, using the on-screen UI from the NVR, will the images similarly appear on the TV upstairs?

I'll just have to turn on the TV upstairs and go to the right HDMI input, and then see the same things I was seeing downstairs?

So I won't need to go through a UI upstairs, as long as I set things on the UI downstairs?
As long as you are using an HDMI splitter to send both video feeds, yes.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As long as you are using an HDMI splitter to send both video feeds, yes.
If I get the NVR with one HDMI, I'll have the splitter. If I get the dual HDMI NVR, then it won't be split. But regardless, it sounds like I can go through the settings downstairs and then just leave it.

There was a suggestion about needing a USB extender for upstairs, so I could navigate through the UI. But not sure if I'll really need it.

I'm trying to treat the upstairs one as something for viewing only. But if I need to really go through the UI, then I'll do it downstairs.

Assuming it's safe to do so, and it's not currently during a home invasion attempt. But even if that's the case, if I'm upstairs, I should be able to view what I need upstairs, and then make a decision that something is happening and I need to call the police, or that something isn't happening and it was just a normal noise or cat or something.