Looking for a camera security system.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When viewing on a TV/monitor, is it possible to view all 9 cameras at the same time, from the NVR5416-16P-4KS2 NVR?

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do I need a 4K HDMI Extender, if the HDW5231R-ZE cameras are 2MP? Or is a 1080p HDMI Extender sufficient?

trucams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When viewing on a TV/monitor, is it possible to view all 9 cameras at the same time, from the NVR5416-16P-4KS2 NVR?
Yes, NVR provides multiple static display options from one camera view through all 16 channels with several in between. It also allows a rolling-view through the channels.

trucams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pulled from phone via iDMSS, but you should get the idea. Clicking on an individual channel will take you from multi view to single camera feed.
002E6F75-558B-482E-9B41-E9220F707764.png

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, NVR provides multiple static display options from one camera view through all 16 channels with several in between. It also allows a rolling-view through the channels.
Pulled from phone via iDMSS, but you should get the idea. Clicking on an individual channel will take you from multi view to single camera feed.
View attachment 28249
Thanks, those were great.

trucams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IF you think you may ever want to put 4K cameras on your system, there may be value to plan for the future. If not, the 1080p extender will work fine. I only have my NVR on one TV. I use tablet, phone and computers for viewing throughout the rest of the house (depending on where I’m at). More mobile than being stuck at a fixed point. Don’t find I spend a ton of time actively monitoring with everything else in life going on... when I do want to, I just open it on another device. Everyone’s situation is different.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IF you think you may ever want to put 4K cameras on your system, there may be value to plan for the future. If not, the 1080p extender will work fine. I only have my NVR on one TV. I use tablet, phone and computers for viewing throughout the rest of the house (depending on where I’m at). More mobile than being stuck at a fixed point. Don’t find I spend a ton of time actively monitoring with everything else in life going on... when I do want to, I just open it on another device. Everyone’s situation is different.
Thanks.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm close to narrowing it down between two installers.

One question though. While many of the other installers have said that I would need conduit in some areas, one of the installers said for those locations, it was up to me. They said they could use it if I wanted, but they didn't have a strong recommendation about whether I needed it.

What do you think? Do you think it would be a good idea, if an area could use it?

trucams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the wire is going to be run in the wall, no conduit would be needed. Wire can run and mounted exposed. It is not the best option though. Conduit provides protection from inadvertent incidents and from intentional acts of vandalism. It provides some weather and UV resistance too. Any "professional" installer should either be fishing it through the wall or putting it in conduit. I could see a DIY'er doing a direct exterior install without fishing/conduit due to knowledge or lack of skill. Not someone who does it for a living though!

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the wire is going to be run in the wall, no conduit would be needed. Wire can run and mounted exposed. It is not the best option though. Conduit provides protection from inadvertent incidents and from intentional acts of vandalism. It provides some weather and UV resistance too. Any "professional" installer should either be fishing it through the wall or putting it in conduit. I could see a DIY'er doing a direct exterior install without fishing/conduit due to knowledge or lack of skill. Not someone who does it for a living though!
Thank you.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've finally found an installer with reasonable charges, and whose communication and answers have also been good.

They will let me buy my own cameras and NVR.

Question: For the 5231R-ZE and the 5231R-Z, if I set recording to 24/7, and I also provide local storage via a 128 GB micro SD card, will it also record 24/7 to the local storage?

Or is it possible to set recording 24/7 to the NVR, and on motion to the micro SD card?

Also, where do I find the camera mounts? I don't see them on @EMPIRETECANDY's Amazon Store.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I've finally found an installer with reasonable charges, and whose communication and answers have also been good.

Question: For the 5231R-ZE and the 5231R-Z, if I set recording to 24/7, and I also provide local storage via a 128 GB micro SD card, will it also record 24/7 to the local storage?

Or is it possible to set recording 24/7 to the NVR, and on motion to the micro SD card?

Also, where do I find the camera mounts? I don't see them on @EMPIRETECANDY's Amazon Store.
Just send me email for what you want to buy, then do a better price for you, lol. r is it possible to set recording 24/7 to the NVR, and on motion to the micro SD card? This can be OK.
Just the NVR all day recording, if small NVR, can't record too much time.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Yes and yes. ;)

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just wanted to go over a parts list before purchasing items. If anyone thinks something is missing, please let me know.

I haven't bought any of these yet.

@EMPIRETECANDY and others, please review. :)

Monitor for upstairs:

1) Sony XBR49X900E
2) Wall Mount:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KBEOL5E/?coliid=IAIPIS07A1V8V&colid=5ZOH1613TYZ9&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

TV to be installed to the wall mount by handyman.

Camera:

1) Cameras: 8 x IPC-HDW5231R-ZE (from Andy)
2) Camera Mounts (from Andy)
3) NVR: NVR5416-16P-4KS2 (from Andy)
4) WD 6TB Purple 5400 rpm SATA III 3.5" Internal Surveillance Hard Drive

From Installer:

1) Camera installation, cat 6 cable, HDMI Extender, HDMI cables, conduit, junction box.

Optional, but I think I should get them:

1) Micro SD Cards: 8 x Sandisk Ultra 128GB Micro SDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter - 100MB/s U1 A1 - SDSQUAR-128G-GN6MA

2) USB Extender. Do you think I need one, if I want to navigate any NVR menus while I am upstairs? Will I need mouse control, if I am upstairs?

Or, do you think I can do all of the configuration, including what to display, while I am downstairs, and just leave it at that? So once I'm upstairs, I can just turn on the TV and be satisfied with what is being displayed (the feeds from the different cameras)?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I just wanted to go over a parts list before purchasing items. If anyone thinks something is missing, please let me know.

I haven't bought any of these yet.

@EMPIRETECANDY and others, please review. :)

Monitor for upstairs:

1) Sony XBR49X900E
2) Wall Mount:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KBEOL5E/?coliid=IAIPIS07A1V8V&colid=5ZOH1613TYZ9&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

TV to be installed to the wall mount by handyman.

Camera:

1) Cameras: 8 x IPC-HDW5231R-ZE (from Andy)
2) Camera Mounts (from Andy)
3) NVR: NVR5416-16P-4KS2 (from Andy)
4) WD 6TB Purple 5400 rpm SATA III 3.5" Internal Surveillance Hard Drive

From Installer:

1) Camera installation, cat 6 cable, HDMI Extender, HDMI cables, conduit, junction box.

Optional, but I think I should get them:

1) Micro SD Cards: 8 x Sandisk Ultra 128GB Micro SDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter - 100MB/s U1 A1 - SDSQUAR-128G-GN6MA

2) USB Extender. Do you think I need one, if I want to navigate any NVR menus while I am upstairs? Will I need mouse control, if I am upstairs?

Or, do you think I can do all of the configuration, including what to display, while I am downstairs, and just leave it at that? So once I'm upstairs, I can just turn on the TV and be satisfied with what is being displayed (the feeds from the different cameras)?
buddy, you already have the NVR,why install SD card again? This is waste of money i think, other options seems not bad for the money you cost.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Looking into getting a surveillance system. I had considered doing everything myself and I had honed in on probably a set of Reolink wi-fi cameras with Surveillance Station running on a synology NAS. For 5 cameras plus the NAS I priced it somewhere around $1500 for all equipment.

I then priced a couple of professional installations and one thing I'm finding is that the cameras themselves are just more expensive. For example, one option was using LTS cameras that were double to triple the price of the Reolink cameras with what seemed like fewer features (for example, no LEDs for low-light conditions, lower resolution, etc). Eg. This LTS vs This Reolink. What am I missing here? I asked for a quote for 1 PTZ camera and they quoted this one, it was $1500 just for that one camera alone, when Reolink has a PTZ camera for under $250. And the Reolink has more than double the resolution (5MP vs. 2MP). So what gives with the prices? What could justify the LTS being so much more expensive (or the Reolink being so cheap)?

Another important factor to me is the quality of the software. I'd like modern connectivity options that Are smooth / fluid and provide smartphone, desktop, and web interfaces. But I don't know of any way to compare any of the various software options before making a decision. At least I can see screenshots of Surveillance Station but with these others I have no idea what I'm signing up for. With my luck I'll get something that requires Windows 3.1 or the web interface requires Internet Explorer. Software wise, which NVRs / NAS solutions are the best?

Finally, regarding wi-fi vs. wired vs. PoE, which is the best solution? wired and PoE seem more expensive from an installation standpoint because, well, you obviously have to run more wires. Are wireless systems discouraged?

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Looking into getting a surveillance system. I had considered doing everything myself and I had honed in on probably a set of Reolink wi-fi cameras with Surveillance Station running on a synology NAS. For 5 cameras plus the NAS I priced it somewhere around $1500 for all equipment.

I then priced a couple of professional installations and one thing I'm finding is that the cameras themselves are just more expensive. For example, one option was using LTS cameras that were double to triple the price of the Reolink cameras with what seemed like fewer features (for example, no LEDs for low-light conditions, lower resolution, etc). Eg. This LTS vs This Reolink. What am I missing here? I asked for a quote for 1 PTZ camera and they quoted this one, it was $1500 just for that one camera alone, when Reolink has a PTZ camera for under $250. And the Reolink has more than double the resolution (5MP vs. 2MP). So what gives with the prices? What could justify the LTS being so much more expensive (or the Reolink being so cheap)?

Another important factor to me is the quality of the software. I'd like modern connectivity options that Are smooth / fluid and provide smartphone, desktop, and web interfaces. But I don't know of any way to compare any of the various software options before making a decision. At least I can see screenshots of Surveillance Station but with these others I have no idea what I'm signing up for. With my luck I'll get something that requires Windows 3.1 or the web interface requires Internet Explorer. Software wise, which NVRs / NAS solutions are the best?

Finally, regarding wi-fi vs. wired vs. PoE, which is the best solution? wired and PoE seem more expensive from an installation standpoint because, well, you obviously have to run more wires. Are wireless systems discouraged?
reolink wifi just toys can't say as a surveillance, watch hikvision or dahua. Your budget can get a better system, why not.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

reolink is complete garbage. Avoid like the plague. First do some basic reading..see the wiki on the top of the page.
fyi, that LTS cameras has IR, a better form than reolink its important to read. Regardless avoid domes. look for turret cams. Again see wiki at the top of the forum.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@metaprogram, do a forum search for Reolink here and see what you think from folks that own them. They're usually not happy threads.

On the blue bar at the top of the screen, click on the Wiki, and look for the link to the Cliff Notes. It's got a lot of good info for what most folks on here are using to build their systems. In short, Dahua Starlight model cameras <because they're the best for low-light conditions>, PoE instead of WiFi <both require just one wire run to the camera, but PoE is infinitely more reliable that WiFi>, and either a Dahua NVR <which works with the advanced motion detection features on the Dahua cameras like IVS/Tripwire, something Surveillance Station can't do> or Blue Iris NVR software running on a Windows box <which has its own advanced motion detection features built in>.