Looking for new home construction camera system-drawing included

giannid

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello to all and I'm a new member looking for some help with camera and NVR selection. I'm not new to installing cameras and security systems. It's been some years but I've done some installs on some commercial properties that I own. Looking for a relatively simple and maintenance free system that I can access and monitor from my home. Need to be able to watch over my family and belongings when I'm away. Looking for brands ands models. I don't want to spend a bunch of money but don't want junk either. Here's what I got.

I've built a home on a large rural lot and need some solid cameras and NVR. We will be installing an NVR in the basement of the home right under camera 2 location. I'm in a pretty secluded area and can use some eyes on the premises. The grounds also do not have any lighting so cameras that have IR will be needed. I'd like to use all cameras that run on POE as I'll be pre wiring the house. Included a drawing and would like you to take a look and give me your recommendations. All the measurements are in feet. Camera locations are marked with an circled x with a camera number and what it's going to do. I'll explain of each location.

Camera 1
The driveway is very long and I'd like to get a motion camera here that records any vehicles coming into the main driveway. The camera location will be 50 feet to the center of the driveway. This camera will be mounted on a pole. Not sure how high yet and can also use a recommendation. I'm going to run two cat5e cables to this pole underground in conduit.. In the future I may mount another camera here which points towards the house.

Camera 2
This camera is going to be mounted on the front corner of home to scan the front of the home and driveway area.

Camera 3
This camera will be looking at the rear patio and rear door/slider

Camera 4
This camera will overlook the rear/side of the home and the back door of the garage

Camera 5
This camera will be mounted on the corner of the garage and overlook the front of the home and will cross vision the other camera at the other corner overlooking the front door.

Camera 6
This is the difficult camera. This one will also be on a pole which height needs to be determined. I would like to place this angle on an angle so it both overlooks the driveway and is motion activated by vehicles crossing the driveway 60 feet away. I would also like this camera to overlook the barn which is 267 feet away. I know I'm not going to het a good image that far but would really like to just get a decent image to overlook the garage doors. I was thinking about putting a seperate camera system out there but think if I have just one camera to overlook this are with a decent image. I understand night quality photos will be non existent this far away. We will also be running conduit and two cat5e cables to this pole. I may want to add another camera overlooking the home in the future.

Attachments

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
------------------------------------
If all you want to do is see what happened, your plan is general ok. If you want to identify the bad guys, it needs a lot of work.
Your cameras are mounted to high. There are not enough cameras. If amazon or fedx does package dropoff , you will need a camera pointed direclt at the drop off location, max 10 ft away, you will need a camera at the door pointing out at door bell height.

Look what happens when the cameras are not mounted correctly

read,study,plan before spending money... plan, plan,plan
------------------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (Store | IP Cam Talk) if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
N22AL12 -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight
My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A
If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

giannid

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah I understand my camera system isn't going to identify the bad guys. I just want something that generally monitors the property for really stupid people doing something they shouldn't be. The camera system will add a little bit of security but not much. Ultimately, if someone knows what they're doing, they're going to avoid them. I have employees that work on the property and it'll help keep them honest. I am putting an alarm system on the house and barn regardless. The camera is a second defense system. I've been doing a lot of reading and researching. I just don't want to get sucked in by one vendo who's just trying to sell me what they can get. That's why I'm looking for advice on this fairly simple system.

Reaction score
You might consider adding cameras to the 'choke points' where offenders are most likely to walk/crawl. About five to six feet off the ground, capturing close details of their face.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I understand my camera system isn't going to identify the bad guys. I just want something that generally monitors the property for really stupid people doing something they shouldn't be. The camera system will add a little bit of security but not much. Ultimately, if someone knows what they're doing, they're going to avoid them. I have employees that work on the property and it'll help keep them honest. I am putting an alarm system on the house and barn regardless. The camera is a second defense system. I've been doing a lot of reading and researching. I just don't want to get sucked in by one vendo who's just trying to sell me what they can get. That's why I'm looking for advice on this fairly simple system.
Welcome @giannid

There's quite a bit of distance for cameras to cover.

Suggest picking up a good varifocal camera and playing around with it before calling your plans set and done.