Mini PTZ camera impressions! 2015 PTZ camera of the year? AVOID THIS CAMERA

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
According to spec your nvr supports max 40watt, this cam again, according to spec, eats up to 18 watt, so it should work, but depends how many cams you already have.

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it possible to automatically return to a certain position?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, as long as you get the POE model.
Yes you have to set home and present patrols if you want them.

ttumms123

n3wb
Reaction score
According to spec your nvr supports max 40watt, this cam again, according to spec, eats up to 18 watt, so it should work, but depends how many cams you already have.
I have 4x 3332 and looking to add another one, really like this mini ptz cam...
I believe hik nvr 71xx series and 76xx series has similar spec. Which model is your nvr? Have you test this cam with the nvr's Poe ?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't power a ptz with a POE off the NVR or from a Switch, I will always use a midspan or dedicated local power.
It makes installation a bit more work, but save any strain on your NVR

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So the 3X camera is wider zoomed out, than the 10x?
Shame though if so.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Spec maybe inaccurate need to test the actual power consumption.

Yes, 3x is wider then Hikvision 2.8mm and for my purposes that's exactly what I needed.

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, standard POE (802.3af) provides only 15.4w max. Minus cable lost , left with approx 13w to the device. And if this cam consume 18w max. Shouldn't it be a problem?
I need to take my words back...I connect the ptz cam to the poe switch.....and I don't want to kill my nvr.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why would it kill nvr if you have enough power?
NVR will be up to 15.4W per port at source. Any more and it'll fry that port, and possibly the entire PoE switch and possibly the entire NVR PSU, and possibly the entire NVR...

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
That doesn't make sense. If Nvr supplies up to 15.4w then why would it supply more. And if cam requires more power then 15.4, wouldn't the camera just not function? I have 3 of these connected to my Nvr and is fine. I doubt 18w is correct but I will test it to make sure.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That doesn't make sense. If Nvr supplies up to 15.4w then why would it supply more. And if cam requires more power then 15.4, wouldn't the camera just not function? I have 3 of these connected to my Nvr and is fine. I doubt 18w is correct but I will test it to make sure.
It makes complete sense. It would either kill the PSU or make the PSU voltage drop so much that it would be sufficient to power the NVR anymore. This is basic electronics.

The camera you have is max 18W, to use that it will have to have all of the IR Leds on max and be using the zoom and pan/tilt etc. So what is happening is you are using less than 15.4W and that is why it hasn't gone boom - yet. On top of that there is a maximum combined draw over all PoE ports. There's more chance the PSU blowing than the camera stopping to work. The camera will just try to draw what it needs. If it need 18W and the PSU absolute maximum is 15W, then it will try to draw 15W. If it shuts-down then great, if not, boom your PSU is dead. It might not blow immediately but as you are running it outside the specification, it will get hotter than it wants to run and will one day, just give up the ghost. I know this from first hand experiences of PC power supplies, which are very similar to the NVR ones.

I have a DS-2CD2032-I connected up at the moment and it says 5W in the dark, despite saying 7W max. I'm sure if it turned up the IR it would go to 7W.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
OK, you got me concerned. Although, you can't turn all 4 leds so perhaps that could be the discrepancy in the power draw.

ttumms123

n3wb
Reaction score
This cam should be rated POE+ OR 802.3at and not simply POE as stated in spec :(

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FYI the 7600, 7700 series nvr have poe overload alarm trigger. Doesn't that mean it has overload protection?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Spec isn't everything, there is a lot of discrepancies. I did my own testing with a KillaWatt:

Power up: up to 6 watt
Idle 2 bottom leds: 5 watt
Idle 2 upper leds: 7 watt
Idle no leds: 1-2 watt
PTZ action with 2 bottom leds: spiked to 11 watt, but stayed between 9-10 watt
PTZ action with 2 upper leds: 11 watt
PTZ action no leds: 2 watt

Bottom line: No where near rated 18 watt and will be fine in NVR. FYI the 4 LEDs on the cam do not work all at the same.

As a comparison my 4MP Dome 2142FWD is
Idle: 2 watt
LEDs on: up to 4 watt