Mini PTZ: Reported Issues/Limitations

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Black and White!

Got up this morning to find both of my Huisun camera's showing a black and white picture.

It got a little cold last night for S Cal (low 40's) but I also have a couple of externally mounted Hiks and they are fine. Nothing else has changed

I powered them off and on a couple of times, fooled around with the settings, but still no workie

Thoughts?
I don't have a resolution to your issue but my focus problem seems to happen when the camera switches from day to night.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Black and White!

Got up this morning to find both of my Huisun camera's showing a black and white picture.

It got a little cold last night for S Cal (low 40's) but I also have a couple of externally mounted Hiks and they are fine. Nothing else has changed

I powered them off and on a couple of times, fooled around with the settings, but still no workie

Thoughts?
If both off them showing black screenat the same time it may have something to do with power. All mine been below 32 degrees for the past week or so and no problem. I think Lare 's had even lower temperature.

Last edited by a moderator:

ElGato

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Guys for the information and education, I will order one when the wife goes to bed, lol.
Regards.
Chewie
I have 2 of these switches. One powering 2 x HIK's the other 1 x HIK + 1 x Huisun Mini PTZ.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If both off them showing black screenat the same time it may have something to do with power. All mine been below 32 degrees for the past week or so and no problem. I think Lare 's had even lower temperature.
Yep, the temp here has been down as low as 9 degree's F the last few nights. During the day it's in the 20's. All cameras including the Huisun are chugging along without a problem.

Git

Banned
Reaction score
Not a 'black' screen per say. It's a clear picture - but it is just in black and white. And they are both running from my new $130 TP-LINK TL-SG1008PE so they should have plenty of power

I made some changes with my router last night/this morning - it's an ASUS RT-AC87u and has all the bells and whistles. I was fooling around with some of the 'protection' settings, (malicious websites, parental controls, things like that). It seems too much of a coincidence that both of these cameras are doing this - I probably screwed something up. I think I will reset the router later tonight and see if that clears it up

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Not a 'black' screen per say. It's a clear picture - but it is just in black and white. And they are both running from my new $130 TP-LINK TL-SG1008PE so they should have plenty of power

I made some changes with my router last night/this morning - it's an ASUS RT-AC87u and has all the bells and whistles. I was fooling around with some of the 'protection' settings, (malicious websites, parental controls, things like that). It seems too much of a coincidence that both of these cameras are doing this - I probably screwed something up. I think I will reset the router later tonight and see if that clears it up
So, in other words it's working in IR mode? Check the setting whether IR is set to Auto or On.

Git

Banned
Reaction score
Smaaaaaaaaaaaaackkkkkk (sound of my hand hitting my head)

That was it - Operator Error. Fooling around with t00 many settings. Set to ON when it should have been Auto

Thanks

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Smaaaaaaaaaaaaackkkkkk (sound of my hand hitting my head)

That was it - Operator Error. Fooling around with t00 many settings. Set to ON when it should have been Auto

Thanks
Hmm, Had the same problem yesterday w/my Huisun was running fine and then night come and it was black,but i can see the car lights! I went 30 minutes in the settings and could not
find the IR settings in configuration! then when i so the ir icon on main page by hoovering over i was going to smack it ...go figure :loyal:.

Then it started to reboot it self! off and on every few minutes! after trying to figure out thinking that is related to the power witch the 100ft cat5e cable that was running the Huisun Cam it was not in use for months (had no cam for it).
so i started by reading this thread i decided to bring camera in by my 8ch ismart nvr, and put into one port with a cat6 3ft cable to see whats up! and looks like is working fine! so i guess is my cable and not the nvr , as i was thinking
that the nvr may not push watts to all 7 cam ports that i have. My nvr has 48v port that powers 8 poe ports, witch in my math 48v=144watts, divided to 8 is exactly 18 wats per port.

Now i need to replace the 100ft Cat5e to Cat6 and was thinking to buy this here: on ebay. was looking on Amazon for 100ft Cat6 with prime shipping ,but could not find a decent Cat6 100ft for around $8-15 (w/prime 2 day shipping)

Also have the Asus RT-AC87U Wirelles Router nice one.

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@patrocle It may not be your cable at all. Your math is incorrect. The nvr is likely limited to less an 18w per port. Some users have had issues with certain poe switches and this camera. Read the thread to see what works.
Whatever you do DO NOT buy that cheap crap cable on ebay. Its copper clad aluminium (CCA) and will simply add to your problems. If you buy quality cat6 solid (not stranded) copper cable (not cca) at 23awg your attenuation will be lowered compared to the stranded cable.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmm, Had the same problem yesterday w/my Huisun was running fine and then night come and it was black,but i can see the car lights! I went 30 minutes in the settings and could not
find the IR settings in configuration! then when i so the ir icon on main page by hoovering over i was going to smack it ...go figure :loyal:.

Then it started to reboot it self! off and on every few minutes! after trying to figure out thinking that is related to the power witch the 100ft cat5e cable that was running the Huisun Cam it was not in use for months (had no come for it).
so i started by reading this thread i decided to bring camera in by my 8ch ismart nvr, and put into one port with a cat6 3ft cable to see whats up! and looks like is working fine! so i guess is my cable and not the nvr , as i was thinking
that the nvr may not push watts to all 7 cam ports that i have. My nvr has 48v port that powers 8 poe ports, witch in my math 48v=144watts, divided to 8 is exactly 18 wats per port.

Now i need to replace the 100ft Cat5e to Cat6 and was thinking to buy this here: on ebay. was looking on Amazon for 100ft Cat6 with prime shipping ,but could not find a decent Cat6 100ft for around $8-15 (w/prime 2 day shipping)

Also have the Asus RT-AC87U Wirelles Router nice one.

Regards,
I saw your issue(s) but failed to make a connection, as I had a similar issue...for some reason my Hikvision cam didn't mind my powerline network adapter at all, but the Huisun will simply freak out on that connection...keeps rebooting and going through incessant startup pan procedure. Your issue should have rung a bell for me...but glad you sussed it! :)

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@patrocle It may not be your cable at all. Your math is incorrect. The nvr is likely limited to less an 18w per port. Some users have had issues with certain poe switches and this camera. Read the thread to see what works.
Whatever you do DO NOT buy that cheap crap cable on ebay. Its copper clad aluminium (CCA) and will simply add to your problems. If you buy quality cat6 solid (not stranded) copper cable (not cca) at 23awg your attenuation will be lowered compared to the stranded cable.
Hello Fenderman,

Yes, i am not really good at knowing what is really good to buy, so it will last in the long run. Just looked around and did not see very many options to buy "100ft cat6 solid copper cable @ 23awg! most of them you have to buy the hole box 500ft,1000ft.
And from last night till now everything works as i did bring the Huisun cam inside the house by my nvr with a 3ft cat6 cable.

Thanks for your good advice.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I saw your issue(s) but failed to make a connection, as I had a similar issue...for some reason my Hikvision cam didn't mind my powerline network adapter at all, but the Huisun will simply freak out on that connection...keeps rebooting and going through incessant startup pan procedure. Your issue should have rung a bell for me...but glad you sussed it! :)
Yes, it was going on and off and i was in a panic with this new cam! but i guess cable or as @fenderman said could be the watts per port. I may have to soon move away from the nvr and just going with BI / and few Network poe .

Also i am trying to find out if i should buy the $44 poe one from Amazon or go with the $72 one? or go with one that i so somewhere @ $130 all 8 poe ports. I only have 55 mbps internet here.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Fenderman,

Yes, i am not really good at knowing what is really good to buy, so it will last in the long run. Just looked around and did not see very many options to buy "100ft cat6 solid copper cable @ 23awg! most of them you have to buy the hole box 500ft,1000ft.
And from last night till now everything works as i did bring the Huisun cam inside the house by my nvr with a 3ft cat6 cable.

Thanks for your good advice.
yes, the 23awg will not be premade...but whatever you do dont buy crap CCA cable on ebay...the long run attenuates..that is why your are having a problem..if you are using CCA cable now, then that could be contributing to your problem. Buy from monoprice, or cable matters on amazon...

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you're going to run that Huisun PTZ off of a PoE switch you're going to need PoE+ brother...and neither those TP-LINK TL-SF1008P units are not PoE+ switches...they are PoE switches.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, it was going on and off and i was in a panic with this new cam! but i guess cable or as @fenderman said could be the watts per port. I may have to soon move away from the nvr and just going with BI / and few Network poe .

Also i am trying to find out if i should buy the $44 poe one from Amazon or go with the $72 one? or go with one that i so somewhere @ $130 all 8 poe ports. I only have 55 mbps internet here.

You can get th $44 one and since it only goes up to 100Mbps, use it only for your cameras and connect it to a 1000Mbps router (if that what you have) which networks the rest of the devices in the house.

Bill

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're going to run that Huisun PTZ off of a PoE switch you're going to need PoE+ brother...and neither those TP-LINK TL-SF1008P units are not PoE+ switches...they are PoE switches.

I thought I read that many of the folks here were running it off the regular PoE switches without a problem?? Anyhow if not enough power, we can always supply it with a power adapter to a power plug on the huisun right?

I got my first huisun yesteraday I have not power it up yet, I am studying for my final exam tomorrow so tomorrow night I will start playing with it. HOwever I noticed it included a power plug on it so I assume it used for powering up the camera if PoE wasn't avaiable right?

Bill

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I thought I read that many of the folks here were running it off the regular PoE switches without a problem?? Anyhow if not enough power, we can always supply it with a power adapter to a power plug on the huisun right?

I got my first huisun yesteraday I have not power it up yet, I am studying for my final exam tomorrow so tomorrow night I will start playing with it. HOwever I noticed it included a power plug on it so I assume it used for powering up the camera if PoE wasn't avaiable right?

Bill
Bill, as I understand it, some folks post that they have and some folks post that they have not. Yes you can always use a AC adapter...but if you need to run it off of PoE I believe that best practice dictates that it should be run off of a PoE+ switch. I know some will argue this point and state that they've been successful running it off PoE, but other state that they've had issues. Better safe than sorry IMO. PoE+ certainly cannot hurt IMO.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good advice...Appreciated.

Found a: UPVEL 8-Port 10/100Mbps PoE+ Rackmount Switch, all 8 PoE+ ports, 140 watts for $55

Info:
  • Advanced PoE+ Power Management: Provides up to 30 Watts of power on all 8 Fast Ethernet Switching Ports, Enhanced Power Availability: Build-in 140 Watt power supply delivers ample power for most demanding PoE installations, Assured PoE and PoE+ Compatibility: Connects widest array of IEEE 802.3af and IEEE 802.3at standard PoE and PoE+ devices, Easy Installation for Home and Office: No configuration required (Plug & Play). Rack-mount kit included, Durable, Energy Savvy Design: Metal housing without fans and optimized Green Ethernet Technology IEEE 802.3az