Mini PTZ: Reported Issues/Limitations

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I like that TL-SG1008PE switch. PoE switches have "power budgets" distributed over their PoE ports. So here is how a "power budget" works...

• PoE provides (up to) 15.4 watts of DC power
  • PoE+ provides (up to) 24.4 watts of DC power
  • The TL-SG1008PE switch has 8 ports
  • The TL-SG1008PE switch has a 124 watt power budget
Therefore, if you plug 7 Poe devices (each of which demanding 15.4 watts of power) into 7 of the switches ports you will only be able to run a 15.4 drawing device on the 8th (and last) switch post.

However, my Hikvision cameras draw no where near 15.4 watts each (I forgot their exact draw, but lets say 7 watts each). Therefore, if I plus six (6) of these cameras into 6 ports of the switch I am using only 42 watts of the switch's power budget (6 cameras @ 7 watts each = 42 watts). This means that I've got plenty of power left over in the power budget to run two (2) 24.4 watt PoE devices on the two (2) remaining switch ports.

I like that TL-SG1008PE switch.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have this little guy and have had good luck with ZyXel. That TL-SG1008PE looks very nice as well. As Q2U explained the power budget logic also applies to the little ZyXel switch with a total power budget of 75 watts distrubuted over the 4 POE+ ports.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833181248

ZyXEL GS1100-8HP Unmanaged 8-Port Gigabit PoE+
Yes, I think that ZyXEL makes good products, at least that is what I've read. HOWEVER, that switch provides PoE over only 4 of the 8 ports I believe.

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, I like that TL-SG1008PE switch. PoE switches have "power budgets" distributed over their PoE ports. So here is how a "power budget" works...

• PoE provides (up to) 15.4 watts of DC power
  • PoE+ provides (up to) 24.4 watts of DC power
  • The TL-SG1008PE switch has 8 ports
  • The TL-SG1008PE switch has a 124 watt power budget
Therefore, if you plug 7 Poe devices (each of which demanding 15.4 watts of power) into 7 of the switches ports you will only be able to run a 15.4 drawing device on the 8th (and last) switch post.

However, my Hikvision cameras draw no where near 15.4 watts each (I forgot their exact draw, but lets say 7 watts each). Therefore, if I plus six (6) of these cameras into 6 ports of the switch I am using only 42 watts of the switch's power budget (6 cameras @ 7 watts each = 42 watts). This means that I've got plenty of power left over in the power budget to run two (2) 24.4 watt PoE devices on the two (2) remaining switch ports.

I like that TL-SG1008PE switch.
Thanks for the nice info.

That Tp-link looks better than others, but from what i am reading here:
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/7264-is-this-cheap-no-brand-poe-switch-interesting/page2?highlight=CAT
Fan make quite of noise.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I thought I read that many of the folks here were running it off the regular PoE switches without a problem??

Bill
Yep, running three Mini PTZ's off of standard TP-Link PoE switches here and not having any problems. They are on separate switches though. In the long run, it might be better to use the PoE+ switches or injectors.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They also talking in that thread about this one:
Bv-Tech POE-SW800G 8 Port Gigabit 130W POE Swit Channel
Link to it here...
@ $90 with no fan, and not sure as in description say only about Cat5e cable and none about Cat6, not sure if it work or not with Cat6.

And how does it compare with Tp-link from above ?... ( One thing maybe is not a Poe+ :sad2:,the Bv-Tech)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They also talking in that thread about this one:
Bv-Tech POE-SW800G 8 Port Gigabit 130W POE Swit Channel
Link to it here...
@ $90 with no fan, and not sure as in description say only about Cat5e cable and none about Cat6, not sure if it work or not with Cat6.

And how does it compare with Tp-link from above ?... ( One thing maybe is not a Poe+ :sad2:,the Bv-Tech)
Geez, I don't know much of anything about that brand...but the specs look OK...the price is right...and it's Amazon so returning it shouldn't be a problem, eh?

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Geez, I don't know much of anything about that brand...but the specs look OK...the price is right...and it's Amazon so returning it shouldn't be a problem, eh?
Price is okay, but i don't think is a Poe+

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Price is okay, but i don't think is a Poe+
No, it's not PoE+. I don't know if I would go with a brand that is not widely known. Personally, I'll stick with TP-Link as I know they're extremely reliable and have never had any problems with any TP-Link switches, injectors or splitters.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No, it's not PoE+. I don't know if I would go with a brand that is not widely known. Personally, I'll stick with TP-Link as I know they're extremely reliable and have never had any problems with any TP-Link devices.
Hello Lare,
Yes, you right ! i may just go with the
TP-LINK TL-SG1008PE 8-Port Gigabit PoE Switch, 8 POE ports, IEEE 802.3at/af, Max Output 124W
And i could just replace the fan with a quite one if the case has no warranty stuff to void it, but i think if i have 6 cam's and 1 ptz, the tp-link should
handle all! i hope.

Thanks,

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Lare,
TP-LINK TL-SG1008PE 8-Port Gigabit PoE Switch, 8 POE ports, IEEE 802.3at/af, Max Output 124W
And i could just replace the fan with a quite one if the case has no warranty stuff to void it, but i think if i have 6 cam's and 1 ptz, the tp-link should
handle all! i hope.

Thanks,
if you like to tinker this zyxel is managed, and fanless. only POE+ 70w total, but if your other cams are hikvision dahua, they only draw 3-5w so there will be tons to spare for the ptz
http://www.amazon.com/Fanless-Managed-Desktop-Switch-GS1900-8HP/dp/B00GU1KULM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1450064299&sr=8-5&keywords=zyxel+managed+switch

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello Lare,
handle all! i hope.

Thanks,
Sounds like a good choice. Are you sure it has a fan?