Need help finding the right cam

martin.b07

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
My wife and I are looking for one or two cameras for our garden because we have a bit of trouble with our neighbor.
He doesn't like the fence we had built and now we are afraid that he will do something to our beautiful hedge.

Attached is a sketch of our property with my favourite camera installation (yellow circle)
Grundstück mit Cam.png

My first choice was two of Dahuas IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M on each side of this part of the house. After I saw Dahuas new PSDW5631S-B360 I thought I found my camera. But then I realized that it can only be used until -10°C (-14° F). Every now and then our thermometer drops down to -20°C.

Then I saw Hiks DS-2PT5326IZ-DE. Is this quite the same cam? Are there any other cam like this? Panorama + PTZ?
Now I am totally unsure what to use? PTZ would be nice to "scan" the long side of the hedge and get an attack of the neighbor on video. I don't know if a "normal" cam would get these details.

Thanks

Regards
Martin

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi
My wife and I are looking for one or two cameras for our garden because we have a bit of trouble with our neighbor.
He doesn't like the fence we had built and now we are afraid that he will do something to our beautiful hedge.

Attached is a sketch of our property with my favourite camera installation (yellow circle)
View attachment 42509

My first choice was two of Dahuas IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M on each side of this part of the house. After I saw Dahuas new PSDW5631S-B360 I thought I found my camera. But then I realized that it can only be used until -10°C (-14° F). Every now and then our thermometer drops down to -20°C.

Then I saw Hiks DS-2PT5326IZ-DE. Is this quite the same cam? Are there any other cam like this? Panorama + PTZ?
Now I am totally unsure what to use? PTZ would be nice to "scan" the long side of the hedge and get an attack of the neighbor on video. I don't know if a "normal" cam would get these details.

Thanks

Regards
Martin
Hi Martin,

Perhaps just getting a few more good cameras vs something rather pricey like the PSDW5631S-B360 or DS-2PT5326IZ-DE

The Dahua OEM 2MP starlight varifocal turret IPC-HDW2231x model is a popular option.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
fwiw & mind you I'm still new at this, I'm pretty happy with the performance I've been getting out of my Amcrest 4k IP8M-2493EW cameras. They can be a little pricey I'm learning as it seems Dahua can be cheaper.

Just my experience but Reolink cameras were awful. I was unable to update the firmware without the Windows app, (cant do it though the web console as the instructions said you could) and even the tech support agreed to not bother with the web page. Instead use the app. Maybe that was just my experience though.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
fwiw & mind you I'm still new at this, I'm pretty happy with the performance I've been getting out of my Amcrest 4k IP8M-2493EW cameras. They can be a little pricey I'm learning as it seems Dahua can be cheaper.

Just my experience but Reolink cameras were awful. I was unable to update the firmware without the Windows app, (cant do it though the web console as the instructions said you could) and even the tech support agreed to not bother with the web page. Instead use the app. Maybe that was just my experience though.
Amcrest does not make any cameras. They rebrand dahua cameras, offer you limited form factors and sensors and charge you more. For example your 4k camera performs poorly at night relative to the 4k large sensor cameras available direct from dahua. Also avoid domes.
Reolink is a lying spamming scamming company, avoid like the plague.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
-----------------------------------------------
I would recommend going with multiple cameras to cover the area. make sure each camera is covered by another camera. Use a dahua starlight with a variable focus lens.
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE

-----------------------------------------------

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
12) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS
IPC-HDW5231-ZE
IPC-T5442TM-AS
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I
DS-2CD2325FWD-I

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess