Need recommendation for $100 camera

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
SO I bought a couple IP camera's off ebay.. Seller claims they are Dahua IPC-HFW4300S OEM version.. there are no markings on them, nothing on the boxes, instructions, etc.. so I suspect they might be fakes or something.

Anyhow, while wrestling trying to get them hooked up, another member here said they are very low performance units.. IE: Junk..

So if you were going to spend $100 on a camera to go outside, what would you recommend? I'm located in the rural countryside and it gets very dark out here. The good news is that, at the moment, I don't need to see across 40 acres, I just need to see my driveway.

I prefer a bullet camera because they are small and easy to mount in any configuration. I plan to send the feed into my router so my computers and tablets can view the cameras. Using ISpy software because its free.

Recommend a camera for $100 or under?

Thanks,

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))

N22AL12 New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight - low cost entry dahua camera a dome.

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations but there isn't a single camera in that list for $100 or less.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations but there isn't a single camera in that list for $100 or less.
if 20 bux is going to break you, still with the crappy cams, you deserve them. There are fixed starlights available for 100 if you are willing to wait for slow shipping.

tai4de2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This might fit the bill:

Amcrest UltraHD 4K (8MP) Outdoor Bullet POE IP Camera, 3840x2160, 131ft NightVision, 2.8mm Lens, IP67 Weatherproof, MicroSD Recording, Black (IP8M-2496EB)
Those are $99. If the price with tax and shipping is too high you can drop down from 4K to something smaller, which should drop the price by another $10+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This might fit the bill:

Amcrest UltraHD 4K (8MP) Outdoor Bullet POE IP Camera, 3840x2160, 131ft NightVision, 2.8mm Lens, IP67 Weatherproof, MicroSD Recording, Black (IP8M-2496EB)
Those are $99. If the price with tax and shipping is too high you can drop down from 4K to something smaller, which should drop the price by another $10+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That looks promising. I don't see any IR lights on that.. How does the night vision work when its dark? I live out in the rural countryside, my neighbors are corn and cows, and when it gets dark out here, you can't even see your hand in front of your own face.. There is no ambient light on moonless cloudy nights.

Are the starlight cameras sensitive to the 850 or 940 nm IR LEDs?

Thanks for your help,

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I found a camera on ebay " Dahua Dahua IPC-HDW4631C-A 6MP Dome Turret IP Camera Metal Mic Update 4431C-A 2.8MM"

As I understand it, because of the language update, you can not update the firmware of the camera. Why would I need to update the firmware anyhow? I don't require the camera to have face recognition or license plate tracking or for it to identify the Pegasus galaxy constellation.. I just need it to send a decent quality image day and night and not break or be harmed when its 95 degrees outside or 20 below zero in a blizzard.

My home is powered by a large solar system and I plan to mount it under one of the panels. Its a ground mounted PV Array and at the highest point, its about 10 feet up. The array already has a Cat5 ethernet cable there..

Thanks for the help..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I found a camera on ebay " Dahua Dahua IPC-HDW4631C-A 6MP Dome Turret IP Camera Metal Mic Update 4431C-A 2.8MM"

As I understand it, because of the language update, you can not update the firmware of the camera. Why would I need to update the firmware anyhow? I don't require the camera to have face recognition or license plate tracking or for it to identify the Pegasus galaxy constellation.. I just need it to send a decent quality image day and night and not break or be harmed when its 95 degrees outside or 20 below zero in a blizzard.

My home is powered by a large solar system and I plan to mount it under one of the panels. Its a ground mounted PV Array and at the highest point, its about 10 feet up. The array already has a Cat5 ethernet cable there..

Thanks for the help..
This is a poor low light camera. The 8mp amcrest will also do poorly in low light. Read the cliff notes and threads on low light cameras or save 20 bux and lean the hard way.

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
TL;DR - Buy a Dahua 2231 or Hik equivalent and only cry once.
You will eventually end up buying something in that price range once you realize the others are not good. Buy 1 good camera and locate it properly and it will be better than 2 bad cameras put together.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My home is powered by a large solar system and I plan to mount it under one of the panels.
You don't owe anyone here an explanation but I am curious: I know that solar system wasn't cheap but why decide NOW you're not going to spend an additional $25-$30 on a couple of cameras as suggested? Surely that solar power setup saved you enough in energy costs to afford some good, recommended cameras.

Apparently you haven't read any of the Cliff Notes or other comments and reviews here because if you did you'd draw the same conclusions as found in the recommendations:
  • Turrets are recommended over bullets (spider webs) and domes (dome provides IR bounce back). They are no harder to mount if you use the matching box.
  • More megapixels doesn't mean better (a 2MP Dahua Starlight or Hikvision Darkfighter provides the best low-light performance). BTW, it gets dark enough everywhere for IR LED's to be provided with 99.99% of all surveillance cameras.
I could answer your question about 850 and 940nm LED's but instead I'll suggest you read some more, maybe perform a search, as that same question was posed and answered less than a week ago on 12/22.

Last edited:

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You don't owe anyone here an explanation but I am curious: I know that solar system wasn't cheap but why decide NOW you're not going to spend an additional $25-$30 on a couple of cameras as suggested? Surely that solar power setup saved you enough in energy costs to afford some good, recommended cameras.

Apparently you haven't read any of the Cliff Notes or other comments and reviews here because if you did you'd draw the same conclusions as found in the recommendations:
  • Turrets are recommended over bullets (spider webs) and domes (dome provides IR bounce back). They are no harder to mount if you use the matching box.
  • More megapixels doesn't mean better (a 2MP Dahua Starlight or Hikvision Darkfighter provides the best low-light performance). BTW, it gets dark enough everywhere for IR LED's to be provided with 99.99% of all surveillance cameras.
I could answer your question about 850 and 940nm LED's but instead I'll suggest you read some more, maybe perform a search, as that same question was posed and answered less than a week ago on 12/22.
There's a bit of conflicting information. The member who posted right above you suggested a Dahua HDBW2231R-Z which is a dome camera so far as I can tell.

I'm now looking for a Turret camera as has been suggested and I think I found one. What do you guys think of this: IP8M-T2499EW-28MM

I found a manufacturer refurbished unit on ebay for under $100. Its metal with an SD card slot.

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There's a bit of conflicting information. The member who posted right above you suggested a Dahua HDBW2231R-Z which is a dome camera so far as I can tell.

I'm now looking for a Turret camera as has been suggested and I think I found one. What do you guys think of this: IP8M-T2499EW-28MM

I found a manufacturer refurbished unit on ebay for under $100. Its metal with an SD card slot.
HDW2231 is not a dome. See post #2 & #4.

But it doesn't matter what we think. We really have no financial interest in what cameras we recommend, so just buy what you think is best for you.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.

And when you find that POE 2MP Dahua Starlight or Hikvision Darkfighter turret from a known and reliable vendor for under $100 please let me know...I've got a few unused ports on my 16 port POE switch.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
SO I bought a couple IP camera's off ebay.. Seller claims they are Dahua IPC-HFW4300S OEM version.....

So if you were going to spend $100 on a camera to go outside, what would you recommend? I'm located in the rural countryside and it gets very dark out here. The good news is that, at the moment, I don't need to see across 40 acres, I just need to see my driveway.

Recommend a camera for $100 or under?

Thanks,

Thanks for the help..
Hi @Murphy625

Starting with a budget first ( < $100 for a camera ) is imho not the way to start your journey. I think we all start out this way... and find out later we need to learn more first before jumping on a cheaper camera.

For the best results imho:
1) First decide what you functionally want / need. Use the info on the cliff notes to help you out. While the camera models in the cliff notes may have been updated with newer versions, the general principles still apply.
2) Once you have decide on what you functionally want / need - then look for cameras which may meet that need. Check out the reviews, check out the cameras listed by southernyankee.
3) then scale your budget / expectations and needs and find a balance which works for you.

Watch out for Chinese market cameras.. while the price looks good, they can be a real pita if you don't know what you're getting into as many are hacked with English versions of the firmware and thus can not be easily updated and often have cheaper components ( a reason why they are cheaper ).