NEW 1080P Wifi Video Doorbell!

The Fury

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm actually quite lost on what to do with Blue Iris. I've mimicked the same setting as another forum member but I still only get about 2 fps but my bit rate is fantastic. It's a WiFi only doorbell so I can't really test an Ethernet solution. I've actually configured Tinycam Pro which is an IP camera viewer for android and it's pulling in an average of 15fps and the Doorbell app, Guarding Vision, appears to be pulling great fps as well which leads me to believe there is something in BI holding me up. I've got 9 other IP cameras I've had no issues setting up in BI so I'm pretty well versed in it but this has truly got me stumped.

Last edited:

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I use BI, but am definitely not an expert with it and I'm hoping a BI expert will chime in. I still think it's a poor WiFi connection. At best, WiFi might have a 10 milliwatt transmitter and I'll bet a doorbell WiFi camera has far less. Signal quality is key, without it you won't get good performance. I used a WiFi scanner and found out that I had a lot of neighbors on the same channel, so I just switched channels and check, every night, to make sure I'm the only one on the channel I'm using. That might help, too.

The Fury

n3wb
Reaction score
I use BI, but am definitely not an expert with it and I'm hoping a BI expert will chime in. I still think it's a poor WiFi connection. At best, WiFi might have a 10 milliwatt transmitter and I'll bet a doorbell WiFi camera has far less. Signal quality is key, without it you won't get good performance. I used a WiFi scanner and found out that I had a lot of neighbors on the same channel, so I just switched channels and check, every night, to make sure I'm the only one on the channel I'm using. That might help, too.
It's worth mentioning that I'm using a WiFi extender as well and it's about 3 feet from the door bell so I think the strength shouldn't be an issue. My fps appears to be fine in other applications which leads me to believe it's isolated to BI but I will check on the channel thing as well. Thanks!

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
But what's between the doorbell and the extender? Wires, nails, nail plates and so many other things can mess it up. I use WiFi for my craptop, tablet and phone, but my one experiment with video showed me it just isn't dependable enough for that.

The Fury

n3wb
Reaction score
But what's between the doorbell and the extender? Wires, nails, nail plates and so many other things can mess it up. I use WiFi for my craptop, tablet and phone, but my one experiment with video showed me it just isn't dependable enough for that.
The only reason I'm hesitant to say it's the WiFi is because Tinycam Pro and the Doorbell application itself show great performance and high fps with no drops :/. It appears to only be with BI

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's worth mentioning that I'm using a WiFi extender as well and it's about 3 feet from the door bell so I think the strength shouldn't be an issue. My fps appears to be fine in other applications which leads me to believe it's isolated to BI but I will check on the channel thing as well. Thanks!
the other applications may be pulling the substream...also try using the hikvision rtsp option from the drop down....if that does not work try find inspect...that string in your image is not the standard hikvision url for the video feed.

The Fury

n3wb
Reaction score
the other applications may be pulling the substream...also try using the hikvision rtsp option from the drop down....if that does not work try find inspect...that string in your image is not the standard hikvision url for the video feed.
I'll try the hikvision rtsp option but I have tried the find/inspect and that's what it populated the string as. I've also used a onvif detector software and it was able to find the same string. I've checked the setting for Tinycam and it appears to be pulling the mainstream at 1080p since i believe the substream isn't capable of that resolution.Screenshot_20180119-192850.png

The Fury

n3wb
Reaction score
Well I've figured it out guys. Thank you so much for all the suggestions. It was this little setting in BI. I'm now getting the full fps which is 12 which seemingly I can't change any higher in the web interface since the latest FW posted here yesterday.decode.PNG

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Added 2 things in our online doorbell guide:

#1) How to upgrade to latest firmware: Firmware Upgrading

#2) Some users have experienced some humming or buzzing issues on their chime ever since they installed the doorbell. This guide shows you how to solve that: Fix Humming Chime

Thanks!

Kingram

n3wb
Reaction score
Does this doorbell display color video at night if there is plenty of light or is it only black and white like the ring Doorbell cams ?

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Does this doorbell display color video at night if there is plenty of light or is it only black and white like the ring Doorbell cams ?
Hey @Kingram, as long as there is adequate light getting to the camera it won't switch to night mode and will display color video. The only time it switches to black and white is when the camera isn't getting enough light and it turns on Night Mode.

Norseman

n3wb
Reaction score
Just installed this and couldn't get a high FPS in BL despite solid signal but The Fury's setting made all the difference, works well now.

The only thing so far that doesn't work is that I can't turn off the time/date and camera name in the OSD settings, I get "Parameter Error" when I click Save. I'm running the latest firmware. How do I report this bug?

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just installed this and couldn't get a high FPS in BL despite solid signal but The Fury's setting made all the difference, works well now.

The only thing so far that doesn't work is that I can't turn off the time/date and camera name in the OSD settings, I get "Parameter Error" when I click Save. I'm running the latest firmware. How do I report this bug?
This is most likely an internet explorer plugin issue. Whenever you enter into IE, right click on the icon, then run as administrator. Then try it. It should work as I just tried it on ours. Let me know if still no go.

daveyiv

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone else have issues with the quality in blue iris? From the Guardian Vision app and VLC or something seeing the direct stream the quality is great. However, looking at even the live view in blue iris it looks pretty terrible. It shows it getting 10fps, but I get a ton of blocky pixelated image quality, especially with motion. Can anyone that has decent quality in their blue iris settings share what you're using? I am a brand new blue iris user so not quite sure how to optimize quality. I have attached images of my settings that are relevant I believe.

2.JPG 3.JPG 1.jpg

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does anyone else have issues with the quality in blue iris? From the Guardian Vision app and VLC or something seeing the direct stream the quality is great. However, looking at even the live view in blue iris it looks pretty terrible. It shows it getting 10fps, but I get a ton of blocky pixelated image quality, especially with motion. Can anyone that has decent quality in their blue iris settings share what you're using? I am a brand new blue iris user so not quite sure how to optimize quality. I have attached images of my settings that are relevant I believe.

View attachment 26418 View attachment 26419 View attachment 26417
Hi Davey,

There are definetely some BI experts on this forum and I am not one of them but what you can do is export an image from the cameras web interface 2018-02-08_1204
and then export an image from BI. Make sure they are around the same time. Let me know us know if you notice any size or major quality differences after doing this.

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
@daveyiv Just a quick glance comparing between your screenshots and @The Fury's screenshots..on your Network IP Camera Configuration page you have Receive buffer set to 3MB, his is set to 20MB. He also has Use RTP/UDP port set to 80, it looks like yours is disabled. One other thing I noticed is your bit rate is really really low in your third screenshot which is most likely the cause for the pixelization. Have you done any configuration through the web interface of the doorbell? I'm definitely not a BI expert either so those settings may not have an effect but figured I would mention just incase.

daveyiv

n3wb
Reaction score
Here are a couple example images, but they aren't really great examples because there was no motion or anything. The issue im having is mostly around motion in blue iris everything becomes blocky looking around the motion. Also sometimes the frame rate will drop down to like 1-2fps.
20180209175807820_9ebca6db1a8745d683a0ff4c18a1c6a7_830749535.jpg doorbell.20180209_175813.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Here are a couple example images, but they aren't really great examples because there was no motion or anything. The issue im having is mostly around motion in blue iris everything becomes blocky looking around the motion. Also sometimes the frame rate will drop down to like 1-2fps.
View attachment 26494 View attachment 26495
are you viewing on the blue iris mobile app or web interface? does the same problem occur on the server?

daveyiv

n3wb
Reaction score
I've viewed on both the computer its running on and the web interface. The web interface is the worst quality.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've viewed on both the computer its running on and the web interface. The web interface is the worst quality.
In BI you have limit bitrate set too low in the encoder profile you are using...you need to change the default 512 to at least 2048...