NEW 1080P Wifi Video Doorbell!

Discussion in 'Nelly's Security' started by AJ47, Dec 11, 2017.

Share This Page

1. daveyiv

daveyiv n3wb

I didn't have that box checked for any particular limit, perhaps it defaults to 512 if nothing is set. I checked the box and set it to 2048. This seem to be getting a bit better. However, sporadically throughout the day it will seem to get worse which seems like it has wifi issues. I have a pretty good wifi system deployed in my house and have zero issues with any other devices which is troubling. It seems like this thing has a super weak wifi radio in it. Is there any change of a firmware update to increase the antenna power? Would a higher voltage doorbell transformer help any or would the wifi antenna still be limited?

Also addtional questions, I cannot find a way to access the data stored on the sd card remotely. Is there any way to get into this thing to copy data off via ftp, sftp, ssh in anything like that? Can I set anything on the device to copy data to a remote server? Will it automatically overwrite old data when the sd card fills up? I cannot find any configuration on the data stored on the sd card.

2. plomaris

plomaris n3wb

Has anyone tested the minimum WiFi signal for consistent operation? Meaning, if you used the WiFi Analyzer Android app at the doorbell location, what dBm value would be required? The way I understand it, a higher dBm value is better, so -44dBm is better than -72dBm. I'm interested in this doorbell camera, but if I can't get reliable performance, it is probably not a good investment.

3. daveyiv

daveyiv n3wb

I can say that with a signal hovering around -60 to -62dbm it doesn't work reliably at all for streaming most of the time in my case. That is connected to a ubiquiti uap-ac-pro access point

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

giomania likes this.
  4. Pilot04

Pilot04 Getting the hang of it

That was the first thing I did when I researched my RCA variant by using Wi-Fi analyzer on my android tablet to verify signal strength. My doorbell location is between -40dBm to -45dBm and it works fine with the latest firmware version.

giomania likes this.
  5. giomania

giomania Getting comfortable

Add another AC-Pro? Not sure how many you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. daveyiv

daveyiv n3wb

I'm considering it, I have a pro and lite currently. However it's hard to justify just for the doorbell when other devices like my phone from the front porch are in the 40-45dbm range and the doorbell is 60-65.

7. giomania

giomania Getting comfortable

I thought you had measured that signal using Wi-Fi Analyzer.

So the doorbell signal is 60-65 dBM, while other devices are 40-45 dBM?

Not really relevant, but my SkyBell HD measures -41 dBM, and Wi-Fi analyzer measures -45 dBM from the same AP that the SkyBell is using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Getting the hang of it

Using the netgear genie app, i tested a -65 signal at my doorbell install location and it seemed to stream fine but seemed to take sometimes a few seconds for the video to pull up. I went ahead and added a netgear AP right on the inside of the door and connected the doorbell to the AP. it pulls up alot quicker now.

Use the Netgear genie app and connect it to the same AP that your doorbell is connected to, put your phone right up to the wall where the doorbell is and run a test.

It also wouldnt hurt to make sure you have the latest firmware as well. Should be dated 12/18

9. PapaBill

PapaBill Getting the hang of it

Being Held Hostage in Central Calif By Democrats.
    Just saw this add, and decided to see if it was the same as the ring, and saw a review on Amazon about one guy who had video of someone stealing his ring, and he posted a pic of his wall with a big hole and small screw holes.
    The thief had his hand over the cam the whole time, and it never recorded him or her walking up.
    apparently that is a big issue with ring, not recording when they approach...
    Now a question for all who have one now....
    How is it at recording in the beginning, I wanna get one for my daughter but wanna make sure this doesn't happen to her.
    Also as I also asked on the youtube page, will this work without a doorbell? she does not have any at all, and I saw the crappy ring one say it will ring directly to your phone, and that would be perfect.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  10. PapaBill

PapaBill Getting the hang of it

Being Held Hostage in Central Calif By Democrats.

11. scn101

scn101 Getting the hang of it

You can set the doorbell to start recording 5s before motion is triggered and another 5s longer after motion stops. I think you can also set it for other than 5s (10, 15, etc.) too. So yes, it will record the approach. It will record to its SD card, which if stolen, is no help. If you have a NVR (like a Hikvision NVR) then your NVR will record the motion triggered footage as well, so you should capture the doorbell being stolen. Your phone can be set to be notified on motion (expect lots of notifications) or only on doorbell button press.

12. nbstl68

nbstl68 Pulling my weight

How does that work? What is it doing when you use this setting? Is it recording 24/7 but overwriting every 20 sec loop so when it triggers it has the before footage?

13. scn101

scn101 Getting the hang of it

The camera is recording all the time, not to SD, but to a circular buffer in RAM. There's a very limited amount of RAM so it can only store so much video in the RAM's circular buffer. If motion is detected or the doorbell button is pressed it then stores the video to SD.

nbstl68 likes this.
  14. The_Penguin

The_Penguin Getting the hang of it

Sorry, just noticed this post. Re the snow shoveling video yes it started recording automatically, but as scn said, doing a 4 second pre-record, but Blue Iris is doing it, not the camera.

15. Jeremy Spiering

Jeremy Spiering n3wb

What Brand and Model do you use to set up in TinyCam Pro? I can't get mine connect using TinyCam. Having the same issue with my QNAP QVR Pro software, can't figure out how to get it to connect via ONVIF.

16. jon102034050

jon102034050 Young grasshopper

Is there anybody who is not having major issues with this camera's wifi range? I have had 2 Ring doorbells and have never had one issue with their reception, and I just got this one to dump the cloud and now am able to get it to connect ~40% of the time. My range hovers around -44dbm at the doorbell itself.

17. The_Penguin

The_Penguin Getting the hang of it

Mine is solid connecting to Blue Iris. It occasionally says it's lost connection to the cloud, but B.I. never seems to notice an issue.

18. daveyiv

daveyiv n3wb

Yes, I have the same issue. The Wi-Fi in the device seems terrible. Even with a good signal the link rate will frequently drop to 1Mbps.

19. RyanODan

RyanODan IPCT Vendor

Where are you seeing the link rate at? Have you tested it with the Guarding Vision or Hik-Connect app to see if the video comes through when it drops?

20. daveyiv

daveyiv n3wb

I see the link rate in the web interface for my access point. I have tested with Guarding Vision and when the link rate drops down the video feed either hangs if I was viewing at the time or I cannot connect again until it improves. Also, in Blue Iris the signal will disconnect.

21. RyanODan

RyanODan IPCT Vendor

Is your router a modem/router combo that came from your ISP? If so, are you using the wifi from it or a separate router?

The reason I ask is I've had multiple issues with those frequently dropping wifi devices. The one I use at my home would drop my Hik 2432 cube camera multiple times a day. To resolve I put another router in front of it and used the wifi off of it and used the ISP router as a modem only.

22. daveyiv

daveyiv n3wb

Nope, I have the AT&T Gateway -> Ubiquiti USG NAT device -> Ubiquiti Switch -> 3 Ubiquiti Access points (Pro, Lite, and the Mesh M)

23. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Getting the hang of it

I am not well versed on how the intricacies of how the technology behind wifi works but I do think that as long as you have a good strong signal from your wireless access point at your doorbell location, then even if the doorbell did have a weak wifi signal it would become irrelevant because your wireless access point is carrying all the "weight" of the wifi connection. This is why its important to test the output of your router (or access point) where your doorbell is installed. You can do this with wifi analyzer apps on your cell phone. I like to use netgear genie for mine.

But im not sure if this is wifi related. If you see fluctuations in wifi performance, then Im wondering if their is something else at play that is causing the issue. Frequent disconnections should not be happening either. The first thing I check on with things like this is power. If your transformer is good, you should be reading about 18V or higher at the doorbell wires with no doorbell connected. Why 18V? Because if you have a 16V transformer, it usually spits out higher voltage than 16V to take into account voltage drop due to cable distance and load. Sometimes they will put out upwards to 20V right at the transformer. If you have a multi-meter, i would check it at the doorbell wires with and without the doorbell attached and let us know. As far as the ring goes, I do think this doorbell uses more juice than the ring.

24. daveyiv

daveyiv n3wb

In my case I registered 19v at the doorbell from the transformer. Before I added an additonal access point my signal strength varied from -57dbm to -65dbm, but the link speed varied from 52Mbps (both Tx and Rx) to 1Mbps and fluctuated frequently. Once adding the additional access point things improved greatly and my signal now hovers around -49dbm or so and link speed fluctuates from like 26Mbps to 72Mbps. It seems consistent now after adding the access point. I'm fairly convinced the wifi in the device itself is just too weak to do much unless you have an access point within a few feet and like 1 wall of it.

giomania likes this.
  25. awsum140

awsum140 Getting comfortable

WiFi, RF, links are extremely low power, in the few milliwatt range which is by design to limit their range. The frequencies they operate at, and I am assuming the doorbell is 2.4ghz, are prone to reflections. Sometimes signal reflections help but usually they don't. The slightest change in the physical environment will make the signal vary from good to poor to non-useable. The best thing to do would be to place an access point as physically close, within a few feet, of the doorbell but even then signal fluctuations, and bandwidth/fps variations, will occur.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    giomania likes this.
  26. ldasilva

ldasilva Pulling my weight

i just got mine installed does any one have the recorded tab where the sd has the files *playback*
    seems to be missing tabs/settings compared to other hik's

27. jon102034050

jon102034050 Young grasshopper

I dont have this either.

28. RyanODan

RyanODan IPCT Vendor

Are you referring to the playback tab on the web interface?

Currently the web interface lacks a lot of the options that their cameras have. Hopefully more settings will be added in the next firmware upgrade but I can't say for sure when or if it will happen. Right now playback can be done on the phone app, through ivms-4200, or through ezvizlife.com.

29. ldasilva

ldasilva Pulling my weight

yes the web interface.. i dont use ivms...right now its just the ios app and blue iris

30. Amgclk65

Amgclk65 n3wb

Hello.
    Is there anyway I can set up the doorbell camera to not activate the chime in my home and only alert me via app/blue iris ?