New build questions

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've read over the Wiki and thought I had a grip on what I needed to replace my old school DVR setup with PoE cams and Blue Iris. Then I started looking at cameras and may have had a mild stroke trying to make sense of what's available.

I'm planning on running 8 outdoor cameras that would be positioned under the roof overhangs in my house. 4 of the cameras would need to be wide angle in order to cover the backyard and part of the street next to my fence. I'd like to be able to a reasonably clear picture of the face of whomever is near the fence (camera would be about 20 feet away) as I've had issues with people causing damage to the fence.

The other 4 cameras don't have very stringent requirements as the old system uses bullet type cameras that are fairly narrow so replacing with same is OK.

I don't have a concrete budget for the cameras but cheaper is preferable as I'll be presenting this to the wife.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've read over the Wiki and thought I had a grip on what I needed to replace my old school DVR setup with PoE cams and Blue Iris. Then I started looking at cameras and may have had a mild stroke trying to make sense of what's available.

I'm planning on running 8 outdoor cameras that would be positioned under the roof overhangs in my house. 4 of the cameras would need to be wide angle in order to cover the backyard and part of the street next to my fence. I'd like to be able to a reasonably clear picture of the face of whomever is near the fence (camera would be about 20 feet away) as I've had issues with people causing damage to the fence.

The other 4 cameras don't have very stringent requirements as the old system uses bullet type cameras that are fairly narrow so replacing with same is OK.

I don't have a concrete budget for the cameras but cheaper is preferable as I'll be presenting this to the wife.
Use the IPVM calculator in the Cliff Notes to determine what lens you need.
Don't make the newbie mistake of using a too wide of angle lens and doing too much with one camera. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
A 2.8mm "wide angle" lens would require the perp to me within 10-12' to get a face ID.
Don't mount cams higher than 8ft if you want face id's.
Cheap and good don't mix. You are looking at least $130-150 per camera.
Study the Cliff Notes.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Welcome @tomsliwowski

Recommend picking up one varifocal Dahua OEM 4MP Starlight+ camera and playing with it a bit to get an idea of what sort of FOV you want or need for each placement location.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
Read study plan before spending money.
Start slow with one or two cameras, and learn
--------------------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
17) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight
My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A
If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Before asking a question search the forum first...
The best way to search the forum is to use Google
In the google search window enter.. site:ipcamtalk.com ?????? ..where ?????? is the items/terms you are interested in.
Example site:ipcamtalk.com PALE MOON BROWSER

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess