New member is completely lost...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
... The cliff notes didn't speak to the password change but that is where I got the bricked result from.
Hi John75

Understand the frustrations which are possible.. just hang on and keep at it.

Q's reply was very good imho - and hopefully useful enough to help assist you.

I have not had time to look too closely at your situation, and often understanding exactly which step someone is on takes some time and back and forth questions.

Also, there's a really good chance that issues on popular cameras / systems have already been asked and answered. ( thus the try searching )

If the cliff notes are missing something important, and you have a suggested edit - PLEASE LET US KNOW.

Thanks!

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Like ty OP I’m a total newbie working with cams and PCs, been a Mac user for 35 years plus. Follow Q’s input and the links to initial setup and config tool guide. Print them out and start at the top and work it slowly. I got thru 2 cams this way today and 4’to go. Then I’ll instal BI. Slow and ez and you’ll get it from one new guy to the other.

John75

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I didn't put it in my initial post but I already had a dual NIC in my server. I have gotten the cameras all up and working using Dual NIC setup instructions that TL1096r linked. TL also linked a Router Security page that was the best explanation of IP addresses I have come across. It really helped to clear up the IP, Subnet, Gateway, etc. In addition, Rakin gave me great advice in PM to set up one NIC with default Dahua IP and the other NIC with new IP range.

I hope my previous message didn't offend anyone. It was really meant to be funny although maybe missed the mark.

My questions I still have outstanding involves the download. Was it malware? It won't allow you to log in without starting the program. It only impacts IE. Edge worked just fine to log in.

I am done for this week. The cameras are all working and showing in Blue Iris. I will be back next week for actual settings.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Like ty OP I’m a total newbie working with cams and PCs, been a Mac user for 35 years plus. Follow Q’s input and the links to initial setup and config tool guide. Print them out and start at the top and work it slowly. I got thru 2 cams this way today and 4’to go. Then I’ll instal BI. Slow and ez and you’ll get it from one new guy to the other.
Being a total newb myself I found the dual NIC to be much easier and quicker than IP config tool.

Thanks everyone. I didn't put it in my initial post but I already had a dual NIC in my server. I have gotten the cameras all up and working using Dual NIC setup instructions that TL1096r linked. TL also linked a Router Security page that was the best explanation of IP addresses I have come across. It really helped to clear up the IP, Subnet, Gateway, etc. In addition, Rakin gave me great advice in PM to set up one NIC with default Dahua IP and the other NIC with new IP range.

I hope my previous message didn't offend anyone. It was really meant to be funny although maybe missed the mark.

My questions I still have outstanding involves the download. Was it malware? It won't allow you to log in without starting the program. It only impacts IE. Edge worked just fine to log in.

I am done for this week. The cameras are all working and showing in Blue Iris. I will be back next week for actual settings.
Thanks for sharing what you did and what helped.This will be good for others that do not feel confident.

May I ask what did Rakin suggest that was not in the Dual NIC write-up. I can add it for others that also might be lost.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Not malware, that was the plugin "software" that the browser needed to work with the camera. It is being downloaded from the camera.
IE sucks for most things these days.
For cams, use 32bit BlueMoon broswer.

Being a total newb myself I found the dual NIC to be much easier and quicker than IP config tool.
Takes all of thirty seconds using the Ipconfig tool if you read the included instructions.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not malware, that was the plugin "software" that the browser needed to work with the camera. It is being downloaded from the camera.
IE sucks for most things these days.
For cams, use 32bit BlueMoon broswer.

Takes all of thirty seconds using the Ipconfig tool if you read the included instructions.
Do not get me wrong, I did not mean to make it sound like ipconfig tool was not easy to use and quick also.. I don't feel 1 is overwhelmingly better than the other. I feel both are fine but if you want to take it to the next level and not install another piece of software going through the web interface is also a good method and worth taking some the time to learn.

Why is 32bit vs 64bit blue moon browser suggested?

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I can't speak for everyone, but for me, having an ethernet port that I can set up to whatever subnet I want, and having a POE switch on that port is very handy for "commissioning" new cameras and other ethernet devices.

To that end, I have a USB to Ethernet gadget and a small, inexpensive five-port POE switch that I only use for that and testing. That way, when I get a new camera or other ethernet device that needs to have its IP address changed from the default, and perhaps have other things set up, I have an ethernet port that I can use without needing to change the address of any of the ethernet ports that are actually in use on any of my PCs.

This was all had for around $50, and is worth having available to me just for setting things up and troubleshooting.

The 32 bit version of Blue Moon seems to be compatible with most cameras. I believe the 64 bit version is newer, and doesn't play well with some cameras.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can't speak for everyone, but for me, having an ethernet port that I can set up to whatever subnet I want, and having a POE switch on that port is very handy for "commissioning" new cameras and other ethernet devices.

To that end, I have a USB to Ethernet gadget and a small, inexpensive five-port POE switch that I only use for that and testing. That way, when I get a new camera or other ethernet device that needs to have its IP address changed from the default, and perhaps have other things set up, I have an ethernet port that I can use without needing to change the address of any of the ethernet ports that are actually in use on any of my PCs.

This was all had for around $50, and is worth having available to me just for setting things up and troubleshooting.

The 32 bit version of Blue Moon seems to be compatible with most cameras. I believe the 64 bit version is newer, and doesn't play well with some cameras.
Yes I have a cheap POE switch I only use to setup cameras before putting them on main BI computer:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W4PJ16S

I find it easier to do this then get to BI machine and mess with settings.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

John75

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who has helped out so far. I have my camera's and computer up and running. I have a solid week to work on this again before traveling again so hoping to get everything pretty stable and recording before I leave.

Now I am trying to set up Blue Iris and my computer and have run into an interesting issue...I'm not sure if my WD Purple drive fits into the computer. It looks like there should be enough room but maybe I need a different tray/piece? To remind everyone I have:

Dell Precision 3420 Workstation Intel Quad Core i7-6700 8GB RAM 128GB (Purchased from Ebay)
Dual NIC
WD Purple 6 TB

I can't really figure out how to make the HD fit. It looks like it is set up for two SSD small form factor drives. Is there a different plastic tray (drive tray?) I should use.

In the photo with the arrows are these the cables I need? Sata 0 is hooked up to the SSD. Sata 1 are these two cables. Is the purple arrow pointing to the power? It seems odd to me that the SSD connector has more wires going it it's connection than the two wires the purple arrow is pointing to.

image0.jpeg

Thanks for any help!

PS - I have searched. Newbie question on HDDs for BI computer

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
Google for dell part number the 3.5" caddy for your particular dell model.
I got one of ebay from china. Expected the usual month wait, it arrived within 10 days.

EDIT: possibly same caddy as mine

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
Your HDD in your computer image is upside down.
Flip it over when you drop it in the caddy and drop the caddy into the slot where the HDD is now.
caddy.png

John75

n3wb
Reaction score
Alright - so I received the part and am not sure how to install it. It still looks like it takes up too much room. Can I just use an external enclosure over USB? At this point it would be easier.

The first picture is what the SSD looks like sitting on top of the blue caddy.

image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image4.jpeg image5.jpeg image6.jpeg

Attachments

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey John have you got the PC sorted?
Looks like it is a SFF (small form factor) Model. I don't know why its not fitting.
I'll rip mine down to compare with your shots.

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
The caddy you purchased looks like the correct 3.5" caddy.

I don't think there is room to stack both SSD and HDD into the top part of your metal caddy holder..... If that's what your trying to do.
I am pretty sure its a case of either 3.5" HDD or your SSD into the top section, not both.

I would drop in the 3.5" HDD to the top section. Remove the SSD from plastic caddy, and place or tape SSD the slimline DVD player slot in the lower part of your metal caddy case
(see #3 in my pics).
If the slot is taken by a dvd player then tape it to the side of the PSU or where ever you can fit it. SSD's can take a beating. :)
The other alternative is to completely ditch your current SSD and grab a M.2 SSD for your PC (see pic #4).

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's not the correct Caddy.
You don't "need" a caddy.
Drill a hole or two in the bottom of the metal cage that lines up with a mounting hole in the HD.
Mount 3.5" drive in bare metal cage with appropriate screws. Place electrical tape on the metal cage anywhere you feel that any of the connections on the HD board may touch the metal cage.

Remove the DVD drive, with double sided tape, mount SSD in the space that is now open.
Or as Pinko said, install an M2 drive instead of the SSD, you have the slot for the M2 on the mother board.

John75

n3wb
Reaction score
Alright - I'm getting there. The hard drive is in and fits the way Pinko described. Now I have a question about the hookup.

Where do I connect the cable in Photo 1 and 1A? Do I need it? Can the SATA cable provide power? Photo 2 shows how the hard drive sits in the cradle. Half of the ports are blocked. Photo 3 just shows both the SSD and HD fitting in the computer.

Thanks for all the help.

image0 (1).jpeg image1 (1).jpeg image2 (1).jpeg image3 (1).jpeg

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
slots.png Ok easy fix...
Your sata power cable should have two connectors as depicted in my image (1).
If you have only one of that type of connector, you can buy a sata power splitter (option1). Simply add the extension and connect to SSD & HDD.

If you don't have any of these type (1) sata power connectors, you should buy a dual sata cable (option 2). Carefully remove existing power cable from motherboard and plug in dual sata cable.Connect to devices.
Any PC/Electronics shop will have them. Either option should cost a few dollars.

John75

n3wb
Reaction score
@pinko - You are the man! I owe you a beer.

Thanks to everyone who helped me get this set up. I think I have a basic setup working and recording 24/7. I followed all of the tips for CPU efficiency.

Question - I logged directly into the cameras and reduced frame rate to 15. I did the same for each camera through BI. MY CPU before this was at 30% and is not running about 12%. Given my initial low CPU usage did this change really matter?