New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has the LaView variant of this HSDB2 wifi doorbell. I'm guessing it's the same hardware underneath as the RCA/Ezviz/etc but seems like LaView camp has more info like PIR Thermal Motion Detection, Sony Starlight sensor for night vision, H.264+ compression, Amazon Alexa, etc on their specs page. Wonder if their custom firmware would unlock all these enhancements for the other Hikvision rebrand variants. Specifically hoping for Alexa skills enablement for things like ‘Alexa, show front door’...

LaView HD IP ONE Halo Doorbell Security Camera

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has the LaView variant of this HSDB2 wifi doorbell. I'm guessing it's the same hardware underneath as the RCA/Ezviz/etc but seems like LaView camp has more info like PIR Thermal Motion Detection, Sony Starlight sensor for night vision, H.264+ compression, Amazon Alexa, etc on their specs page. Wonder if their custom firmware would unlock all these enhancements for the other Hikvision rebrand variants. Specifically hoping for Alexa skills enablement for things like ‘Alexa, show front door’...

LaView HD IP ONE Halo Doorbell Security Camera
There is only one way to find out...

Buy it, and let us all know!!!! Cant wait for the unboxing.

Is the LaView Onvif? Dont think it is...

but...

• SPECIAL OFFER: Free 16G MicroSD card pre-installed. Free Shipping & Free 60 Day Return. Offer valid from 12/21/2018 through 2/28/2019
What are you waiting for? Return it if it doesn't work for you!!! (or us)

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There is only one way to find out...

Buy it, and let us all know!!!! Cant wait for the unboxing.

Is the LaView Onvif? Dont think it is...

but...

• SPECIAL OFFER: Free 16G MicroSD card pre-installed. Free Shipping & Free 60 Day Return. Offer valid from 12/21/2018 through 2/28/2019
What are you waiting for? Return it if it doesn't work for you!!! (or us)
There is no ONVIF on the LaView. A quick way is hoping someone can provide copy of their firmware to test on our RCA units. I use LTS or Nelly's firmware on my RCA HSDB1 doorbell without any issues so would think it will be similar for HSDB2 if we can get Ezviz or LaView's firmware.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
There is no ONVIF on the LaView. A quick way is hoping someone can provide copy of their firmware to test on our RCA units. I use LTS or Nelly's firmware on my RCA HSDB1 doorbell without any issues so would think it will be similar for HSDB2 if we can get Ezviz or LaView's firmware.
ok ok....

that sounds good. maybe see if you can find someone with a laView firmware. Maybe see if they have a reddit or other online discussion board.

or buy the doorbell, and strip the firmware (not even sure how thats done) then return it

bookemdano

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been scanning various sources to get the HIK doorbell to work with a digital chime - but came across a tutorial for getting 2 way audio enabled. I can't be certain if this works on this model - but worth a try.

Good luck - and great info from everyone with this device :)
Thanks for posting that video. I have the RCA HSDB1 doorbell (same as the Uniden he featured) and his tutorial worked great to get 2-way audio working in BI.

I recently purchased the RCA HSFLC1 Floodlight camera (started a thread here about it) and unfortunately the steps from the tutorial did not work to get audio working in BI. I tried all the different Hikvision options and the "headphones" icon in the BI app is grayed out. I sort of suspect the HSDB2 won't work either as they're of similar vintage and share the same RTSP URL, etc. But the fact that it works for the HSDB1 gives me hope that it's possible for the HSDB2/HSFLC1. We just need a larger user base for these products!

Edit: Also, I have my HSDB1 working with a digital chime, but it's a Honeywell that I think is a pretty different wiring design than most digital chimes. This is the one I have https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G0MB1E and there are several variations on it with different exterior designs/colors. Also, it does not supply enough voltage by default, but with the "Power Kit" thing wired in then it works perfectly. My HSDB1 didn't come with the Power Kit, but I re-used the one that came with my Ring Pro and it has worked perfectly.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that video. I have the RCA HSDB1 doorbell (same as the Uniden he featured) and his tutorial worked great to get 2-way audio working in BI.

I recently purchased the RCA HSFLC1 Floodlight camera (started a thread here about it) and unfortunately the steps from the tutorial did not work to get audio working in BI. I tried all the different Hikvision options and the "headphones" icon in the BI app is grayed out. I sort of suspect the HSDB2 won't work either as they're of similar vintage and share the same RTSP URL, etc. But the fact that it works for the HSDB1 gives me hope that it's possible for the HSDB2/HSFLC1. We just need a larger user base for these products!

Edit: Also, I have my HSDB1 working with a digital chime, but it's a Honeywell that I think is a pretty different wiring design than most digital chimes. This is the one I have https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G0MB1E and there are several variations on it with different exterior designs/colors. Also, it does not supply enough voltage by default, but with the "Power Kit" thing wired in then it works perfectly. My HSDB1 didn't come with the Power Kit, but I re-used the one that came with my Ring Pro and it has worked perfectly.
if you want to get it working, email support and provide access to the camera.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

HugChopShop

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Upgraded to 30VA doorbell and video is no longer choppy. Not perfect,but pretty good. I really wish we had some control over the image settings. My "porch lights" are 10' or so away from the doorbell, so everyone is back lit and too dark to recognize once they are close enough to recognize. Otherwise, picture looks nice.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
How is the WiFi connection on this doorbell? I have a gate about 80 feet from my router, an Asus RT-AC68U, the gate is about 30 feet from the house and, probably, 40 feet or more from the nearest outlet where I could put a WiFi extender. I am very concerned that WiFi just won't work in this situation.

Reaction score
How is the WiFi connection on this doorbell? I have a gate about 80 feet from my router, an Asus RT-AC68U, the gate is about 30 feet from the house and, probably, 40 feet or more from the nearest outlet where I could put a WiFi extender. I am very concerned that WiFi just won't work in this situation.
Forty feet of clear line-of-sight? An RT-AC68U should be able to handle that with ease. If not clear line-of-sight, it might be iffy.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, there's the outside wall and a few inside walls as well and it's a total of about 80 feet, 30 outside and 50 inside. Guess I'll pass on the idea of a whizz bang WiFi solution. Why can't somebody make one that's PoE with a simple relay to trigger an existing doorbell?

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How is this doorbell holding up to the rain? I have been struggling with the NSC-DB1 as water appears to be getting inside and causing power issues, power shorts, etc. It also causes condensation in the lens that doesn’t clear for a few days.

I can’t find an IP rating for the HSDB2A. @Chadsturgill, you were having water issues with the DB1, right? Have you had any issues with the HSDB2A?

Also, I have seen references to people buying more powerful transformers for both this and the DB1. But, I haven’t seen a reason why. I am using a 16V/40VA plug-in transformer to power two NSC-DB1’s. The one doorbell not exposed to rain seems to always been fine, but I am curious if random power losses may be due to being under powered and not just the rain.

Thanks for the help!
No issues with water in the newer model. I got a replacement from Nellys on the first one and installed it and got water in it same day. Nelly's didn't respond to my email about a refund. I just decided to chalk it up as a loss. ohwell.. It was 120.. WIsh I could get it back, but it's just been too long at this point. I still have it, it works just fine but not in a wet environment.

yugsy

n3wb
Reaction score
After a day fighting with this doorbell and the RCA Android app to give me any motion or ring notifications, I installed both the EZViz and HKVision Android apps, which both accept the same 'RCA' account login, and both apps provide phone notifications. EZViz seems pretty much an identical app to the RCA one, although a couple more features are there, and the HKVision one seems to have a few more features. Weird that RCA app has this issue alone.

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
These Apps are virtually all the same.
Varying degrees of versions & features.
They all utilize the same underlying cloud service and credentials.

LaView Connect
ClareVision Plus
Uniden One
RCA Security
Guarding Vision
EZVIZ

This app is different but also works with the doorbells.

Hik-Connect

yugsy

n3wb
Reaction score
These Apps are virtually all the same.
Varying degrees of versions & features.
They all utilize the same underlying cloud service and credentials.

LaView Connect
ClareVision Plus
Uniden One
RCA Security
Guarding Vision
EZVIZ

This app is different but also works with the doorbells.

Hik-Connect
Any particular one you prefer? I see the Hik-Connect one seems to only have standard and HD options, the other two have QHD too, but maybe that's the same 3MP either way. Or maybe you are only relying on BI.

Last edited:

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I noticed with my HSDB2 that the LaView One app is different from RCA/Ezviz/Hik/etc as I couldn't get it to recognize my acct that works with the latter.

I use the following two apps 1. hik-connect(has wifi signal meter and can delete video calls) , 2. ezviz(utilize it's IFTTT and Alexa for my HSDB1 and hope HSDB2 has firmware to enable it in future)

Glen Mark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I prefer the EZVIZ app
Hey Chad, you used to prefer the RCA app. What changed?

I hate the lag in notifications on Android -- it impacts the ones I've tried -- RCA, EZVIZ, GUARDING VISION -- the last one I tried because I saw someone post under the RCA app that RCA recommended it to them. It doesn't seem to wake up for notifications any better than EZVIZ (the last one I was using) and it doesn't have doorbell config options, it doesn't have the anti-fish-eye zoom, and it plays no sound when someone presses the doorbell (you have to have the phone on your desk to see that someone rang the bell)

Pfff. Do Ring customers have these issues??

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey Chad, you used to prefer the RCA app. What changed?

I hate the lag in notifications on Android -- it impacts the ones I've tried -- RCA, EZVIZ, GUARDING VISION -- the last one I tried because I saw someone post under the RCA app that RCA recommended it to them. It doesn't seem to wake up for notifications any better than EZVIZ (the last one I was using) and it doesn't have doorbell config options, it doesn't have the anti-fish-eye zoom, and it plays no sound when someone presses the doorbell (you have to have the phone on your desk to see that someone rang the bell)

Pfff. Do Ring customers have these issues??
Do you have a Samsung phone by chance?

Have you tried this.... Calling Android users! Hik-Connect push notifications not showing when locked [SOLVED]

half way down.... FINALLY FOUND A SOLUTION!

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I am looking for a doorbell that can operate a relay switch and this one seem to be the one to get but which brand would be more configureable or it all the same using same firmware?

Thank you