New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have only measured temps with the cover on.

Just checked again. Outside temperature is 61° F this evening.

Checked top and sides of doorbell and readings are from 68° F to 70° F. Touching top and sides of the doorbell it is not hot and barely a bit warm at this time.

I am using firmware version posted above which is:

Nelly NSC-DB2

NDB313-W
Firmware Version: V5.2.4 build 190625

Note It is assumed that all of the hardware is the same so guessing that this firmware will work on the RCA Doorbell.

BUT it is not a guarantee that it will work and I take no responsiblity should you brick your camera.
Hmmm I thought that was an older firmware from ezvizlife site (maybe they updated it)
This is the 190625 version I downloaded...
I will check mine here in the next few days, wonder how firmware could fix the heat issue.

Last edited:

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you David. I corrected the links above and added an MS drive link to the same firmware upgrade file.

Very first Hikvision OEM camera I purchased was an RCA Openbox. Good price but it was not openbox rather it was used. I tested it on the workbench with a 16VAC power supply and it did get hot. I thought / guessed that the heat was from charging the older used batteries in the RCA "Openbox" device.

Unrelated but when I purchased my first Ring doorbell also sent it back and replaced it with another from Amazon. That one initially took 4 days to get to a full charge and it did get warm. The replacement charged to 100% in just a few hours.

I sent it back for a full refund anyhow and then purchased the new unlabeled OEM Hikvision doorbell.

I left the newer camera on the workbench for a day and did not notice that it was getting hot. Physically with the cover off it looked identical to the RCA camera. I really do not know how the firmware would make the camera run cooler. I have yet to leave it in streaming mode to NVR yet. It is connected to one test touchscreen via JPG captures and I have tested it with smart phone and VPN but do not leave it on this way.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you David. I corrected the links above and added an MS drive link to the same firmware upgrade file.

Very first Hikvision OEM camera I purchased was an RCA Openbox. Good price but it was not openbox rather it was used. I tested it on the workbench with a 16VAC power supply and it did get hot. I sent it back for a full refund anyhow and then purchased the new unlabeled OEM Hikvision doorbell.

I left the newer camera on the workbench for a day and did not notice that it was getting hot. Physically with the cover off it looked identical to the RCA camera. I really do not know how the firmware would make the camera run cooler. I have yet to leave it in streaming mode to NVR yet. It is connected to one test touchscreen via JPG captures and I have tested it with smart phone and VPN but do not leave it on this way.
So I went out and did a reading before I go to work this morning. Looks like mine is still running the same, about 30 degrees hotter than the outside temperature.
Sorry for bad shots but limited on time this morning. The Doorbell is even heating up the brick behind it a few degrees. Now I know my temp. gun may not be the most accurate but it is close. I have the LaView version and am running 5.2.4 build 190716 firmware also I have one main stream running 24/7.

1571495752774.png

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK tested again with pics. First test was top of hand. Wife did say she was cold but thinking temps on back of hand should be in the low 90's.
All of the temperature readings were done with gun about a foot away. Historically have only used MicroTemp gun at a distance of greater than 20 feet.
Using a new 24VAC 30VA AC doorbell transformer. Testing was done with a 16VAC 10VA transformer (transformer did get warm)/

HikVisionDoorbellTemps.jpg

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK tested again with pics. First test was top of hand. Wife did say she was cold but thinking temps on back of hand should be in the low 90's.
All of the temperature readings were done with gun about a foot away. Historically have only used MicroTemp gun at a distance of greater than 20 feet.
Using a new 24VAC 30VA AC doorbell transformer. Testing was done with a 16VAC 10VA transformer (transformer did get warm)/

View attachment 49101
Excellent job Pete, nice shots, so we are close to the same temps. Wow, wish it was 65 degrees here, it got to 89 degrees today and I was in a warehouse working :(, ready for some cooler weather...

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Guessing it will snowing here in the midwest maybe once before the end of the month.

;)

Reaction score
My current DB is the RCA version (Latest Firmware 190124 - according to Ezviz App ) and my tests were taken directly on the surface of the unit (front and back) not mounted & with out the cover. It had been running for at least 30 minutes. Temps taken with a cheap infrared thermometer, back of wrist read 89 degrees, it was 70 degrees Fahrenheit indoors, test taken 6" away, no dedicated stream running yet, and using a 24VAC 40VA transformer. Depending on the accuracy of my thermometer, that is like 50-60 degrees hotter than the ambient temp. I am returning it to amazon and I have a Nelly version on the way so I will test and post the results of that here. I have not found any post of a hack to get into the web interface, does anyone think or know if that might be possible or has it been ruled out as not existing?

DB double.png

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My current DB is the RCA version (Latest Firmware 190124 - according to Ezviz App ) and my tests were taken directly on the surface of the unit (front and back) not mounted & with out the cover. It had been running for at least 30 minutes. Temps taken with a cheap infrared thermometer, back of wrist read 89 degrees, it was 70 degrees Fahrenheit indoors, test taken 6" away, no dedicated stream running yet, and using a 24VAC 40VA transformer. Depending on the accuracy of my thermometer, that is like 50-60 degrees hotter than the ambient temp. I am returning it to amazon and I have a Nelly version on the way so I will test and post the results of that here. I have not found any post of a hack to get into the web interface, does anyone think or know if that might be possible or has it been ruled out as not existing?

View attachment 49156View attachment 49157
When you get your Nelly's please let us know your results. Curious if there is a hardware difference. So my first temp. test was without cover too. See Message #635

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This morning tested two IP camera boards (38mm) which I have mounted near the workbench on a wall. One is 4MP with a 3.6mm lens and the other is 5 MP with a 2.8mm lens.

These are 38mm camera boards with HikVision OS. Batch configuration program shows both: DS-2CD3T20D-I3

These have been running 24/7 now for a couple of weeks or so. Ambiant temperature in the unfinished basement is 66 °F and both boards are showing around 89-90 °F.

Both have a temperature / humidity tab on the batch configuration program. I do not see any temps though.

Last edited:

Ed_C

n3wb
Reaction score
For those using this doorbell with Blue Iris, do you loose signal in Blue Iris if you open the iOS app and view live video by clicking on the video. If I just view the image and don’t click app video I don’t loose signal on BI video. My WiFi seems reasonably good and I have a new 30VA transformer.
Did you ever get this resolved? I have Android (Ezviz) and saw in a earlier post to select Ultra HD when viewing (is this possible in IOS?). Now I can view camera in ezviz while BI streams, records audio, and the PIR motion works. BI also works while the doorbell is ringing but motion seems to stop if you answer the call. The stream never drops.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This morning tested two IP camera boards (38mm) which I have mounted near the workbench on a wall. One is 4MP with a 3.6mm lens and the other is 5 MP with a 2.8mm lens.

These are 38mm camera boards with HikVision OS. Batch configuration program shows both: DS-2CD3T20D-I3

These have been running 24/7 now for a couple of weeks or so. Ambiant temperature in the unfinished basement is 66 °F and both boards are showing around 89-90 °F.

Both have a temperature / humidity tab on the batch configuration program. I do not see any temps though.
I do not have any experience yet with other cameras but Ford replied to my first temperature post stating heat is common with cameras:

Most of my IPCs run way hotter than I would like to see, this doorbell runs just as hot (at least every one I have installed has). That being said, I have not experienced heat related failures on these or all the IPCs.

This is the nature of the beast. I figure who knows more about what is a safe operating temperature, the engineers that designed and tested it or me? I stopped worrying about the high temperatures years ago.

David L, if you take a reading on the back, it should be higher still.
Ford has 3 of these Doorbells running. Thank you for your help in explaining to the new owners "This is the nature of the beast" as Ford stated.

Hey Pete, I am looking to add some Hikvision (or re-brand) outdoor cameras. Do you have any suggestions? I would like to get an IP POE 8MP 4K bullet possibly 30FPS (True Ultra 4K) for the front of our house (videoing our driveway and street area, about 100 foot max distance). Vari-Focal lens (manual or motorized) would be nice.
I like the specs on this USG
Thanks

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@David L ,

Have not much looked at IP cameras until recently. Years ago started to test Ubiquiti and Grandstream cameras with SIP. Stayed with the Grandstream after a bit of testing.

Settled on 28mm lens for outdoor cameras here. As they were all connected to a Zoneminder DVR did not use vari-focal lens.

At the time it was up to 1MP cameras.

For front of home had multiple cameras facing away from house and facing house from end of driveway.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@David L ,

Have not much looked at IP cameras until recently. Years ago started to test Ubiquiti and Grandstream cameras with SIP. Stayed with the Grandstream after a bit of testing.

Settled on 28mm lens for outdoor cameras here. As they were all connected to a Zoneminder DVR did not use vari-focal lens.

At the time it was up to 1MP cameras.

For front of home had multiple cameras facing away from house and facing house from end of driveway.
Yeah this is all new to me, so am I thinking right, stick with one brand of camera? Hikvision or Dahua, just trying to make it easier to configure/update etc. I am not sure how one controls the PTZ of a camera other than it's software, can this be done in BI? If so, then maybe it would be ok to have different brands. Only installing 3 for now, one front and 2 in back. I just have to do my research. Thank You...

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you ever get this resolved? I have Android (Ezviz) and saw in a earlier post to select Ultra HD when viewing (is this possible in IOS?). Now I can view camera in ezviz while BI streams, records audio, and the PIR motion works. BI also works while the doorbell is ringing but motion seems to stop if you answer the call. The stream never drops.
I haven't got it fixed. I use the Hikvision iOS app and it only has HD or Standard for choices. I might try the ezviz app and see what happens.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Relating to transformers / RCA Hikvision DB2 doorbell another user workbench tested temperatures and noted that the 24VAC 40VA transformer use with the doorbell generated highest temperatures.

So with that in mind here went back to the 16VAC / 10VA transformer for time bean and will do outside temperature measurements again today.

The generic OEM Hikvision doorbell manual makes no mention of the transformer power requirments. The RCA manual mentions 8-24 VAC transformer use.
My whole issue here was that the old 10VAC / 5VA transformer worked fine with the Ring Doorbell and did trigger my Elk 930 current sensor board. When I switched over to the Hikvision doorbell it would not trigger the Elk 930 board so upped the transformer and going to the 16 or 24 VAC transformer did not trigger the board.

Another posting relating to the generic non labeled OEM Hikvision doorbell....

fwiw, I'd be careful with these doorbells - mine started on fire. The only thing the insurance investigator could ever turn up was that it was a faulty product.
edit: I should add, mine was a rebranded product by Nelly's

Last edited:

Ed_C

n3wb
Reaction score
Pete_C
Tell us more about the Nelly that caught on fire. Was it the current verison? Did you notice high temps on that one? I was concerned at first but it seems to be the nature of the beast.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Ed_C

I know nothing other that what I posted above. I have asked about it.

This is the first time I have read about a fire relating to this model doorbell.

Here when initially testing ZWave used first generation Intermatic ZWave switches. I did have one do a flash and burn behind a couch. Did not start a fire but did melt the case.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My first temp. test post was with a 16v/10va trans. (no face cover), second test was with 16v/30va trans. (with face cover)
First test was in the heat of summer 08-13-19 message #635, second test was last Saturday 10-20-19 message #1083 in Fall season.
I installed my trans. late, 09-29-19 message #999, due to having to get in the attic with a ladder to get to the trans. (Summer time is way too hot for this old man to be in a hot attic :))
139 degrees was the hottest temp. taken in the Summer with 99 degrees outside temp.
100 degrees was the hottest temp. taken in the Fall with 71 degrees outside temp.

I know there are many factors to consider while doing temp. test, down South here our high humidity raises our "Feels Like Temps." equal to HELL :) LoL, about avg. 10 degrees higher which is about the difference in my test.

So was 10 degree Temp. difference from the New Transformer and/or Lower Humidity? :) I won't know till next Summer 08-13-20 (Taken that the outside Temp. is the same) :) Oh and I need to remove the face cover too. :), dang too many rules...I do like this forum, I have a full history of everything I did with this Doorbell :)

Guess I like smiley faces :)

Last edited:

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did another outdoor with cover on temperatures test post installation of the 16VAC / 10VA transformer. Here mine is in the basement about 5 feet below the chime on the main floor and a short run of maybe 25 feet to the doorbell on the front door. I've switched the tranformer a few times now in the last few weeks so it now takes about 15 minutes to swap it out.

Here in the midwest.

Ambient temps outside a few minutes ago are 50 ° F.

Tested temps on sides and top cover.

All side plastic temps were around 60 ° F except for front face.

Front face / cover camera section was around 62°F. Middle PIR section was around 68 °F and bottom button section was around 60° F.

I am fine with these temps and not concerned any more.