Outdoor POE with PIR camera recommendations?

Palmpilot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know of any outdoor POE cameras with built-in PIR triggering?
I would like to use them with my Blue Iris setup (similar to how the DS-2CD2432F-IW PIR integrates with Blue Iris but outdoor).
I currently have 6 DS-2CD2332-I cameras deployed outdoor, but I get so many false positives (...and I tweaked Blue Iris to death, even with Ken's support) that I had to turn off all my outdoor alerts :(
So if there are any outdoor POE with built-in PIR, I consider replacing all my existing DS-2CD2332-I cameras.

Thank you!
P

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know of any outdoor POE cameras with built-in PIR triggering?
I would like to use them with my Blue Iris setup (similar to how the DS-2CD2432F-IW PIR integrates with Blue Iris but outdoor).
I currently have 6 DS-2CD2332-I cameras deployed outdoor, but I get so many false positives (...and I tweaked Blue Iris to death, even with Ken's support) that I had to turn off all my outdoor alerts :(
So if there are any outdoor POE with built-in PIR, I consider replacing all my existing DS-2CD2332-I cameras.

Thank you!
P
if properly setup you wont get false alerts...there are many threads discussing how to do this..
there is no outdoor with built in pir unless you pay through the nose for mobitix...then you are also settling for acceptable video...a much more effective approach would be to integrate zwave pir sensirs or a sealevel device...both of which are discussed...

Palmpilot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
if properly setup you wont get false alerts...there are many threads discussing how to do this..
there is no outdoor with built in pir unless you pay through the nose for mobitix...then you are also settling for acceptable video...a much more effective approach would be to integrate zwave pir sensirs or a sealevel device...both of which are discussed...
Hi @fenderman, I tried. And not only that, Ken tried together with me. We spent a long back and forth email threads with me sending Ken BVR samples from the cameras and setting files, and he tried to reproduce and help me fine tune the settings, but it ended up being related to trees that cast deep shades, fast clouds-sun shade transitions so intense that even Ken admitted are a challenge to Blue Iris. We also tried zone crossing but with all the trees the shades even cross the zones, enough to trigger BI, and when set too strict real events were missed.

I tried Sighthound Video (trial) with two of my Hikvision cameras and it does a great job overcoming false positives (without much fine tuning) but it doesn't support audio on my DS-2CD2432F-IW and DS-2CD2532F-IS which is a deal breaker (especially for how expensive it is with all my cameras).

I will look into the zwave pir sensirs or a sealevel device options.

Thank you!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi @fenderman, I tried. And not only that, Ken tried together with me. We spent a long back and forth email threads with me sending Ken BVR samples from the cameras and setting files, and he tried to reproduce and help me fine tune the settings, but it ended up being related to trees that cast deep shades, fast clouds-sun shade transitions so intense that even Ken admitted are a challenge to Blue Iris. We also tried zone crossing but with all the trees the shades even cross the zones, enough to trigger BI, and when set too strict real events were missed.

I tried Sighthound Video (trial) with two of my Hikvision cameras and it does a great job overcoming false positives (without much fine tuning) but it doesn't support audio on my DS-2CD2432F-IW and DS-2CD2532F-IS which is a deal breaker (especially for how expensive it is with all my cameras).

I will look into the zwave pir sensirs or a sealevel device options.

Thank you!
it can be done by cloning the cameras..and using higher thresholds for alerts vs recording...or record 24/7 and set higher thresholds for alerts.
sighthound is useless for two reasons...first its AI, does not detect all objects, so what is the point of being able to detect a person but not a car..would you not want to record if a car pulls up?
Second and more importantly, it misses true events...eliminating false positives is easy, not missing real events is the tough part...