Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Will this prompt more social distancing and possibly masks in the White House?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Cuomo's comment about hospitalizations coming from people who had been staying home is interesting. I will love to dig into the epidemiology of that when there is data. Meanwhile, I just read a report where in San Francisco, they tested >4000 people. 2% were positive, and 90% of those were people that had to report to work (not work remotely). Also look what happens in "close quarters" jobs like meatpacking. Not fun.
Interesting @Frankenscript

In Hong Kong there were reports of the virus travelling via the plumbing system. Wonder if this is happening in NYC?

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My neighbor works at a water treatment plant and said that the waste treatment side detected the virus before the shutdown started.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @Oceanslider

If you're really looking for answers on how to recover and open up, do check out the various options discussed:

Really good info there. Try out the different scenarios, while simplistic - it does give you some good ideas of how different responses handle the situation.
Anyone that hasn't gone through this simulation REALLY SHOULD DO IT. I spent an hour playing with it. It contains the best description I've seen of how contact tracing works without privacy invasion, and is an outstanding resource showing how various measures can reduce or avoid the need for lockdowns.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
So, we've heard about the Kalifornia criminal that committed three seperate crimes and was arrested three times in a day then let go three times that day. We've heard about criminals being set free early in a number of states because of concern about Covid-19 spreading in the prisons. But, in Texas they arrest a salon owner and put her in jail despite other criminals being let out. Her crime was trying to earn income to feed her family and help her employees to earn income so they could take care of their families. She broke the law and is a criminal...I get it. But what a double standard. She at least took precautions in her salon that the gubermint recommends for other businesses that were allowed to open. Does anyone know where the USA went?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But, in Texas they arrest a salon owner and put her in jail despite other criminals being let out. Her crime was trying to earn income to feed her family and help her employees to earn income so they could take care of their families. She broke the law and is a criminal...I get it. But what a double standard. She at least took precautions in her salon that the gubermint recommends for other businesses that were allowed to open. Does anyone know where the USA went?
If you look closely at history, the USA if full of stories like this during times of "stress".

Numerous stories from WWI, WWII, and Vietnam when the governments have abused constitutional rights. Often after the stress clears a judgement is made by a higher court stating it was wrong to do something.

Thus it is important to support organizations which attempt to bring balance to the situation. ( i.e. typically "rights organizations" - unfortunately for me, some of those are fighting each other at times... sigh )

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Last weekend we had beautiful weather here in New York. I drove out to a local beach on the northern edge of Long Island. Long and behold, nobody, and I mean NOBODY, was wearing a mask, except for me. I was in shock. Why would I want to join the herd? THIS WAS ABSOLUTELY NOT FUNNY.

I reflect back to the two weeks I was sick back in February. I remember being in contact with colleagues that had just returned from Europe. Now I wonder if I should get an antibody test; some COVID-19 patients will have mild symptoms, not all patient experience severe symptoms.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Last weekend we had beautiful weather here in New York. I drove out to a local beach on the northern edge of Long Island. Long and behold, nobody, and I mean NOBODY, was wearing a mask, except for me. I was in shock. Why would I want to join the herd? THIS WAS ABSOLUTELY NOT FUNNY.

I reflect back to the two weeks I was sick back in February. I remember being in contact with colleagues that had just returned from Europe. Now I wonder if I should get an antibody test; some COVID-19 patients will have mild symptoms, not all patient experience severe symptoms.
You should definitely get the antibody/serology test FROM LABCORP OR POSSIBLY QUEST. While not infallible, it would likely give you the best answer.

But keep in mind it isn't certain that people who had it are necessarily immune to it. Probably, not 100% for sure though.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
There's a lack of transparency and sucks to here that people may not necessarily be immune to this virus. I don't think we all are getting all the information we need to better prepare ourselves for this virus. I certainly don't recommend anyone isolating themselves from society. You need to go outdoors, spend time in a park, beach, etc. and get fresh air as well as Vitamin D from the sun. This in turn will assure and keep your immune system active. A sedentary lifestyle is the absolute worst thing anyone can do at this time. Generally when we get an infection we develop antibodies to protect ourselves from future contact.

You should definitely get the antibody/serology test FROM LABCORP OR POSSIBLY QUEST. While not infallible, it would likely give you the best answer.

But keep in mind it isn't certain that people who had it are necessarily immune to it. Probably, not 100% for sure though.

Last edited:

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
as more and more information comes out on how the true numbers are way under the projections and people start to see how difficult it is to recover from this - the narrative of "The Little Boy That Cried Wolf" will start to emerge.
Next fall when they try to push this or a similar situation at us - the people will be having none of that again.
I've never liked people breathing close to me anyway and feel that all food workers should have always been wearing masks but being FORCED to do something is not going to fly any longer.
Being Informed and careful to your own comfort level - I have no problem with that.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Definitely agree @Arjun .

The degree of resistance built up by the immunological response to COVID-19 disease is under intense study. Probably most people getting it will have resistance for a while... Months or couple years. There are a lot of factors involved.

What authorities are being careful to communicate is that it's not possible to say "if you had it, you are safe from reinfection." Sometimes with viruses you can get reinfected and be contagious with minor symptoms.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hmmmm... perhaps this is how the Democrats drop Biden out of the race and replace him with someone else...
( man, that would be too easy.. I suspect there is a big push in the Democratic party to push this sex attack to the forefront of the news to replace him.. we'll have to watch and see.. )

Tara Reade: Biden sex attack accuser urges him to quit race

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
as more and more information comes out on how the true numbers are way under the projections and people start to see how difficult it is to recover from this - the narrative of "The Little Boy That Cried Wolf" will start to emerge.
Next fall when they try to push this or a similar situation at us - the people will be having none of that again.
I've never liked people breathing close to me anyway and feel that all food workers should have always been wearing masks but being FORCED to do something is not going to fly any longer.
Being Informed and careful to your own comfort level - I have no problem with that.
I'm curious as to what you think is incorrect in the numbers. Do you disagree with the current numbers of cases or dead, as reported by states, CDC, or in aggregate by Worldometers.info (just shy of 77k US dead so far)? Or do you disagree with the modeling that predicts ...well, a variety of possibilities... but currently ~134k US dead by early August as the most likely figure? Or some other part of the equation? Just curious.