Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Quick sampling of this video from UofW Depart of Global Health

Surge Capacity question ( 1:52+ )
"back in 2006 we did some modeling to look at what a severe 1968 like and a 1918 like pandemic would do to our health care system in Kent County .. a 1968 like Pandemic would require 40% additional hospital beds .. a 1918 would be over 200% .. no hospital system in the world would be able to meet that demand without drastic changes on the way we deliver healthcare .." - Jeffrey Duchin, Seattle & King County Public Health

They actually let a crack pot Naturopathic guy into that serious meeting?

I'll bet every dollar I have saved up in my entire life that the Naturopathic therapy guy runs to a real doctor when he gets the coronavirus.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Dow futures are crashing.. down 400 and falling.. gonna be ugly in the morning... wish I'd sold my GE Friday :(

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Unfortunately I was right. I would be happy if the open was only down 400.... current pre market is down 800 .... for those invested, close your eyes..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's NOT a pandemic.. can't be as we have discontinued that term...

"WHO says it has phased out use of 'pandemic' to describe outbreaks
The World Health Organization (WHO) no longer has a process for declaring a pandemic, but the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak remains an international emergency, a spokesman said.
"There is no official category (for a pandemic)," WHO spokesman Tarik Jasarevic said. "WHO does not use the old phasing system that some people may be familiar with from 2009. Under the IHR (International Health Regulations), WHO has declared a public health emergency of international concern."

"

ref

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
At what point in time does AliExpress and other mail order services with product originating out of China take a big hit because "no one wants to receive death in a box". I think the rumors, half-truths, non-truths, et al will come gushing out shortly if answers are still far and few between the reports of possible pandemic.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Given that the vector for the infection in Northern Italy isn't known is it any wonder that people will start thinking that? There are some indications of a Chinese tourist or two may have been there, but it's still in the investigation stage, apparently. Interesting that Iran has 50 as well. Wonder what the situation is in North Korea? It probably isn't very good at all, but that's just me speculating.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Iran and North Korea are probably linked. They share technology. Most likely going through their missile program staff now.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree with comment about good time to buy stock.

Keep in mind we are a month out from spring and this thing will naturally abate as warmer temps set in globally.

And in a year or so it is likely a vaccine will be available. This a virus is a short term economic productivity threat and "don't put all your manufacturing eggs in one basket wake up call" but isn't the end of the world.

It is interesting that it is severe/fatal for older folks 65+ and not so much for the young. Nature's way of thinning the herd.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
True that with the Fed having everyone’s back since 2010, BTFD has worked well for most. That said I’m waiting a bit for this one.

All it’s gonna take is 35 cases popping up in Akron Ohio and a quarantine for the next leg down. That coupled with a gummed up supply chain, it’s gonna hurt for a while I think.

Angel_Eater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Agree with comment about good time to buy stock.

Keep in mind we are a month out from spring and this thing will naturally abate as warmer temps set in globally.

And in a year or so it is likely a vaccine will be available. This a virus is a short term economic productivity threat and "don't put all your manufacturing eggs in one basket wake up call" but isn't the end of the world.

It is interesting that it is severe/fatal for older folks 65+ and not so much for the young. Nature's way of thinning the herd.

Though this is true, unfortunately this is worldwide and ungodly contagious. Even if it dies out in the US or other nations, there will be other countries that fail to get this thing under control and mishandle it as China and other countries are (I'm worried at the over-confidence Japan has for the Olympics). If nothing else, this will likely be a "new age" seasonal flu. Since it is single strand, it could mutate easily, requiring a different vaccine each year for the new strain. And after all, we don't even have a cure for the "common cold".

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
A unique feature about the novel Coronavirus is a hook like surface feature that seems to be responsible for some of its transmissibility. Vaccines are being developed against this unique feature. If the feature mutates enough to make vaccine ineffective it is likely the virus would be less communicable anyway.

In 2 years I don't think we will be worried about this virus any more than we are worried about MERS or SARS.