Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

Reaction score
pi
FYI -
virus = SARS-CoV-2
disease it causes = COVID-19
Where did you learn that? There's an article out there, somewhere, from a couple weeks back that says the WHO came up with COVID 19 one day, and coincidentally, on the same day, the international agency charged with naming such viruses came up with SARS COV2 (because it shares 80-90% of the DNA (or RNA?) of SARS.....but, not surprisingly, the WHO doesn't like that name, because they don't like the association of this virus with SARS, so they don't want to adopt SARS COV2. The story's out there, forgive my laziness for not searching it and linking it. My point is, they're one and the same, so the confusion is likely to persist for the foreseeable future.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Where did you learn that? There's an article out there, somewhere, from a couple weeks back that says the WHO came up with COVID 19 one day, and coincidentally, on the same day, the international agency charged with naming such viruses came up with SARS COV2 (because it shares 80-90% of the DNA (or RNA?) of SARS.....but, not surprisingly, the WHO doesn't like that name, because they don't like the association of this virus with SARS, so they don't want to adopt SARS COV2. The story's out there, forgive my laziness for not searching it and linking it. My point is, they're one and the same, so the confusion is likely to persist for the foreseeable future.
Hi @Steve.L

The info I gathered from the following sources:

Dr. John Campbell and Dr. Roger Seheult have been doing a great job covering this topic at their respective Youtube channels.

Dr. John Campbell covers this in the first minute of the following video:

Last edited:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...not approved: kung-flu, Wuhan virus, corona virus, ...
This just in!

In an novel approach to combat an emerging global pandemic, the President is going to start calling it names. According to confidential sources within the White House, top strategists believe this will accomplish two (2) objectives...
  1. Will establish that the virus has been developed in a top-secret Democratic lab (headed by Pelosi...funded by Soros) in order to bring down the President
  2. Solves the problem the President has pronouncing the word “cochronowalrus”... errr... ”coincubus“ ...err... “ConJoboVirus!”
Details at eleven.

smiley17.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi @Steve.L

The info I gathered from the following sources:

Dr. John Campbell and Dr. Roger Seheult have been doing a great job cover this topic at their respective Youtube channels.

Dr. John Campbell covers this in the first minute of the following video:
Thanks for the links (I haven't watched them yet). But a cursory check for the story I was referring to finds a handful of articles supporting your statements. The conspiracy theorist in me makes me wonder if the two organizations came up with a way to save face for each other and come to a mutual agreement on that premise (I only say that because the article I read the day after the new names cropped up clearly explained the conflict in naming, with representatives from both organizations stating their opinions and positions on the matter).

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
No need for conspiracy theories. Similar example would be HIV/AIDS. The first is a virus the second is a disease. It takes a while to settle on names.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Angel_Eater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Chris Martenson ( the Pathologist which Mother Jones, the Bloomberg article noted previously, and others poo poo'ed on ) did a very good update just now titled: "Coronavirus Containment Has Failed"

Basically there's now a balancing act which countries must deal with:
1) Stop the Contagion ( need to keep people isolated and contained to prevent the spread, get R0 below 1.0 )​
2) Keep Economy Going ( need to keep economy going. At least enough to feed everyone. )​
3) Need to keep infection rate below level that swamps hospitals. ( keep hospitals working. )​

Each nation will probably emphasis one of the 3.

You can tell which side a particular leader / media is on by what they state in public / print / broadcast.

Example: Those who say "nothing to worry about" = keep economy going ( #2 )

He highlighted the following which was published in FT ( Financial Time )

"Georges Benjamin, executive director of the American Public Health Association, said: “Everybody should take a deep breath. It’s about preparedness.” He advised that businesses should consider giving employees paid sick leave to ensure they do not come to work when ill, and put in place contingency plans so everyone can work from home. Individuals should think about stockpiling food for at least three or four days — or ideally two weeks, in case there are lockdowns, he added. " ( ref: Subscribe to read | Financial Times )

Every country (world wide) should implement immediate international travel bans (domestic flying/travel only). If completely necessary, pre-approval and 3 week isolation required upon entry. (US needs to finish building the border wall to restrict points of entry.

Do not suggest to horde food, that will cause public panic).

Assess your own countries status, get test kits and masks and goggles to as much public as you can in case of breakouts. Town/city lockdowns would then be implemented.

Designate infected/quarantine treatment centers for complete isolation and come up with infection plans

Keep the public up to date.

Figure out manufacturing/distributing centers nationally.

Re-evaluate global status and lift bans accordingly.

Assist other countries as able.

Do this and youve saved the world.

Angel_Eater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This just in!

In an novel approach to combat an emerging global pandemic, the President is going to start calling it names. According to confidential sources within the White House, top strategists believe this will accomplish two (2) objectives...
  1. Will establish that the virus has been developed in a top-secret Democratic lab (headed by Pelosi...funded by Soros) in order to bring down the President
  2. Solves the problem the President has pronouncing the word “cochronowalrus”... errr... ”coincubus“ ...err... “ConJoboVirus!”
Details at eleven.

View attachment 56150
How can that be, when really China created it to plant on President Trump when he visits Russia to rig the 2020 election. Everyone knows China hates Trump and are jealous of the Russians!

Everyone should be careful of the battles they start with their own political biases. It's never a clean war. ;)

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
It would have been good if the administration hadn't spent the last several years dismantling the apparatus that would have otherwise dealt with this:

Most of these changes were done or started before Democrats took back the House.

Here is an excerpt from the article:

Shutting down the entire global-health-security unit of the National Security Council.

Eliminating the US government's $30 million Complex Crises Fund.

Reducing national health spending by $15 billion.

Consistently attacking Mark Green, the director of the US Agency for International Development.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It would have been good if the administration hadn't spent the last several years dismantling the apparatus that would have otherwise dealt with this:

Most of these changes were done or started before Democrats took back the House.

Shutting down the entire global-health-security unit of the National Security Council.

Consistently attacking Mark Green, the director of the US Agency for International Development.

I always thought that Congress made laws and appropriated funds, and that the President signed them into law. I am not aware of any executive orders making these cuts, but I could be wrong.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

and none of that would have prevented the spread of the virus from China.

With all of the money and technology that will be thrown at this, and rightly so, there are some things that we don’t directly or completely control.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
and none of that would have prevented the spread of the virus from China.

With all of the money and technology that will be thrown at this, and rightly so, there are some things that we don’t directly or completely control.
What has slowed it down is the travel bans and mandatory screening imposed by the administration, but I don't see much talk of this by the MSM.

It has bought us some time to prepare, a luxury many other countries don't have.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
MSM is full of stories about the bans and their positive and potentially negative effects. Do a google search for "CNN travel ban slows virus" and lots of things pop up.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
MSM is full of stories about the bans and their positive and potentially negative effects. Do a google search for "CNN travel ban slows virus" and lots of things pop up.

Maybe they have changed their tune now that they realized it has worked. I don't know. I avoid CNN. But here is an excerpt from the first article shown in a google search with that search criteria. It was last edited early Feb.

(CNN)Experts say travel restrictions the Trump administration put in place to stop the novel coronavirus from spreading could have unintended consequences that undermine that effort.

It's been days since the US restrictions went into effect, blocking foreign nationals who've visited China in the past two weeks from coming to the US.

Details about the US travel ban's impact are still emerging. But some are already urging the US to reconsider.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
The concern is that relying on people to self-report and be banned is likely to encourage people to lie. In general it is better to encourage honesty so that people can be properly monitored. Also broad bans will have a serious economic impact, disproportionate to the actual risk.

I am in favor of hard ban to major hotspots, and tracking of traveling individuals to assess risk, plus onsite monitoring at airports for symptoms.

But the reality is that on any given year there are hundreds of millions of flu cases and half a million deaths. This Coronavirus is unlikely to reach this scale.

Someone on a plane with a fever probably has influenza, not Coronavirus. Shouldn't fly in either case.

I have to travel next week for work (US domestic) and I'm uneasy about it, but it's my job, it can't be delayed, and I will use good habits like hand washing and hope for the best. I will have sanitizing wipes with me for sure, which is more than I usually do.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I spent 4 years in Wuhan when i was a bachelor from 2006-2010, it's a wonderful city, I have many friends there right now, the real situation is really bad at early Feb, this virus can spread very fast, and from light to bad just 1-2 days, the big break make the local medical system crashed. Near 3000 doctors/nurses infected. Most dead people with Basic disease, some of them didn't get good treatment. Becuase the hospital don't have enough hospital beds. So the Gov send military medical team, and other province's medical teams. I think right now around 30K people there. The outbreak is really fast, and some official guys try to stop this desease themselves, but lastly hurt all people badly. China is not as rich as media shows, but our people are really try to stop this virus soon.

Those videos some are real, hundreds people dead at early Feb, the crematoriums are not enough, workers work 24hours still can't process the bodies. But right now things real under control, wuhan people suffer a lot from this bad virus. Doctors try to save everyone, but sometimes they also feel hopeless about the virus. The death rate there has around 5% in wuhan, but at other places, around 1%.
Right now the virus spreading in Korea, japan, Italy, Iran, i think will lastly spreading all over the world, try to protect well your family and make some preparation for any emergency. No need to be too worry, but have to do somthing.

Right now we can go to work and shopping, life is back to normal. Just meat is a little expensive than before, maybe will buy more meat from US. So tell your farmer friends to product more pork,beef,chicken, China will buy a lot soon when the virus gone. :D
70% people in China back to work now, next week i think can be more, in the middle March, i think everything can be back to normal.

Stay away from the busy places,Take care!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is in the USA now...

"Coronavirus Patient in California Was Not Tested for Days

Doctors suspected infection with the virus, but the patient did not fit the federal criteria for testing.
Feb. 27, 2020
Updated 9:56 a.m. ET

A California coronavirus patient had to wait days to be tested because of restrictive federal criteria, despite doctors’ requests. The patient, who has tested positive, may be the first person to be infected through community spread in the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday.

“Upon admission, our team asked public health officials if this case could be Covid-19,” the letter said. The medical center requested testing from the C.D.C. “Since the patient did not fit the existing C.D.C. criteria for Covid-19, a test was not immediately administered. U.C. Davis Health does not control the testing process.”..

Until now, public health officials have been able to trace all of the infections in the country to a recent trip abroad or a known patient, and to identify the sources of exposure.

Public health officials said the infected individual was a resident of Solano County, Calif., but they have not disclosed any other information to protect the patient’s privacy.
"

ref:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score