Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
This is humanity’s biggest and most important exam. This will dictate where we as a human population go from here. This is not a race and ethnic problem. This is a human problem. Our behaviors shape our outcomes. This is not philosophical bullshit. This is real.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
COVID-19 is a man-made problem, just sayin’
Same applies to natural disasters and climate change: when we started burning emissions the frequency and intensity of natural disasters spiked

We have a direct (forget indirect) effect on many of the problems circulating around what we call home, Earth
Mother Nature has her own way of draining the swamp...this is only one of many weapons in her toolbag.

....and your avatar may be more appropriate than you think....some people don't believe we are a native species to this planet....we might be a virus ourselves.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Mother Nature has her own way of draining the swamp...this is only one of many weapons in her toolbag.

....and your avatar may be more appropriate than you think....some people don't believe we are a native species to this planet....we might be a virus ourselves.
Panspermia

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Alien engineered species? :idk:
So much about science we don't know. Can't prove it did not happen, like a lot of science "theories" out there. It wasn't that long ago in our evolution that we thought the earth was flat, or the planets orbited the Earth.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
COVID-19 is a man-made problem, just sayin’
Same applies to natural disasters and climate change: when we started burning emissions the frequency and intensity of natural disasters spiked

We have a direct (forget indirect) effect on many of the problems circulating around what we call home, Earth
Nonsense the frequency and intensity did not spike look at the statistics furthermore even if they did spike how many years of records do you have to correlate the two?

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Nonsense the frequency and intensity did not spike look at the statistics furthermore even if they did spike how many years of records do you have to correlate the two?
Exactly. And do you trust our scientific instruments from 100 years ago in terms of accuracy or precision when it comes to measuring things like glacier temps or volume? We just don't have enough data to anything but make guesses.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Given the age of the planet, billions of years, versus the total time of records, maybe 200 years, accuracy doesn't really mean much. The records are meaningless enough on their own.
Right. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying man made climate change isn't real. I'm saying we don't know one way or another...yet. We shouldn't be trying to kill our fossil fuel industry based on incomplete data. Just my opinion.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The climate has been changing since the earth cooled and land masses were formed. It will continue to change no matter what we do. Do carbon fuels contribute to this? Beats the hell out of me and I have yet to see anything definitive to show otherwise. The "consensus of scientists" line is an insult to science and scientists. Since when did science become based on a consensus? Models are meaningless as well since they contain, either deliberately or by human nature, the biases of the modeler(s).

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The data is there, just because it does not agree with some people's perceptions does not mean the data and facts are not available.

example
About 500 BC ...

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
The midiveal warm period lasted about 300 years followed by the little ice age that lasted 300 to 500 years. How man made were those events? No one knows precisely the cause just like no one knows the reason for the current warming. The planet warms and cools and there's little to nothing man can do about it. Maybe the next time we have a global cooling period we can thank our lucky stars that the planet first warmed up rather than go from cool to cold.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Really good points here. I’m not entirely saying that humans are the sole culprits for climate change. My point is that since the industrial revolution there has been correlation in which man is accelerating the rate of warming temperatures on this planet.

Earth has the most integrated and sophisticated surveillance network of any kind; but it’s up to us how we contend it

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Again, I ask how it is known with any certainty that man is responsible for any warming? Surely, in the history of the planet there have been periods of warming and cooling that occurred long before man was on the planet and since man was on the planet and didn't use "fossil" fuels. Don't get me started on the "fossil" part of "fossil" fuels either. There simply is no way to know, the data is too recent and shows no real history. We're talking eons here, not a century or two. The whole thing started off with East Cambria cherry picking one set of tree rings, from an entire forest of tree rings, that supported their precious theory. Now NASA and NOAA are moving sensors closer to cities and claiming that the higher temperatures are clear indicators of global warming. Let's see, move a thermometer closer to a heat source and it'll read higher. What a new concept!

tng5737

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Again, I ask how it is known with any certainty that man is responsible for any warming? Surely, in the history of the planet there have been periods of warming and cooling that occurred long before man was on the planet and since man was on the planet and didn't use "fossil" fuels. Don't get me started on the "fossil" part of "fossil" fuels either. There simply is no way to know, the data is too recent and shows no real history. We're talking eons here, not a century or two. The whole thing started off with East Cambria cherry picking one set of tree rings, from an entire forest of tree rings, that supported their precious theory. Now NASA and NOAA are moving sensors closer to cities and claiming that the higher temperatures are clear indicators of global warming. Let's see, move a thermometer closer to a heat source and it'll read higher. What a new concept!
How about opening a new thread on this topic and let this thread be about the pandemic