Please help! I have no idea what I’m doing!

EricaU

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I thought what I was looking for was simple, but I guess I was wrong. Simply put, I just want a POE security camera system for the outside of my home, with “maybe” adding some indoors down the line. I prefer 4K with color night vision. I was leaning heavily toward Lorex, but their reviews are quite mixed. I like Reolink’s simplicity, but their POE cameras lack color night vision. To start, I’d like (2) Tourette and (2) bullet style cameras. I’m not tech savvy, and don’t use a PC unless at work. Can anyone suggest a system that would work for me? I’m getting overwhelmed trying to figure out what to do and where to go. Just a little guidance is what I’m seeking. Thanks so much!

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll say what we tell every first time poster - read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes - it's a great wealth of knowledge that has been collected over time!

I'll point out a couple of take aways from the the cliff notes. First, don't get caught up in the megapixel race. Higher resolution comes at a cost and that cost is worse low-light performance. Also, unless you have a very bright environment, full color night vision performance may be very sub-par too.Low light performance has dramatically improved over the years and become more affordable, but there are still limitations to what you can expect.

PS - Welcome too! This is a great forum to get your questions answered.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
Also, avoid Reolink (many negatives on this forum) and I suggest turret-style over bullets (spiders and webs, frequent cleaning) or domes (UV attacks plastic, frequent cleaning due to dust sticking with fog).

Stick with Dahua 2MP Starlight turrets or Hikvision Darkfighter 2MP turrets. I suggest Empire Tech ( @EMPIRETECANDY ) here or on amazon.

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT! :)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I thought what I was looking for was simple, but I guess I was wrong. Simply put, I just want a POE security camera system for the outside of my home, with “maybe” adding some indoors down the line. I prefer 4K with color night vision. I was leaning heavily toward Lorex, but their reviews are quite mixed. I like Reolink’s simplicity, but their POE cameras lack color night vision. To start, I’d like (2) Tourette and (2) bullet style cameras. I’m not tech savvy, and don’t use a PC unless at work. Can anyone suggest a system that would work for me? I’m getting overwhelmed trying to figure out what to do and where to go. Just a little guidance is what I’m seeking. Thanks so much!
Welcome @EricaU

If you're willing to do some DIY learning, you can figure this out and get a nice setup.

Have you decided if you will be putting up the system yourself?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
---------------------------
There are NO 4K color night cameras that you can afford.
If you do not want to use a PC then I recommend an NVR, it has less function than an PC but is simpler to start. With an NVR i recommed have the NVR and the cameras from the same vendor.
Reolink is pure junk.

read study plan before spending money.
--------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (Store | IP Cam Talk) if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
N22AL12 New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
you can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgarde software when available.

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Andy's Amazon store: [URL ]EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

EricaU

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome @EricaU

If you're willing to do some DIY learning, you can figure this out and get a nice setup.

Have you decided if you will be putting up the system yourself?
I’m definitely willing to learn, but I have to be honest, I just want some cameras that’ll allow me to check on my house when I’m not home, keep record of the goings on if needed, and “feel more secure” that no one is trying to gain access into my property without an invitation, and if they do, I’ll have footage for proof. I don’t want to waste money on cheap junk, and I want it to be secure from anyone with bad intentions. That’s one if the reasons I do not want a wireless system. Yes, they are convenient, but easier to hack into. Due to a head injury last year, I’m not so certain I have the cognitive capacity to quickly delve very deeply into the in’s and out’s of cameras to the point where I can put my own system together. The injury has left me feeling violated, Hence my present drive for “security.” I don’t know if that makes sense, but that my current status. I do know of an electrician who’ll run the wiring for me.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’m definitely willing to learn, but I have to be honest, I just want some cameras that’ll allow me to check on my house when I’m not home, keep record of the goings on if needed, and “feel more secure” that no one is trying to gain access into my property without an invitation, and if they do, I’ll have footage for proof. I don’t want to waste money on cheap junk, and I want it to be secure from anyone with bad intentions. That’s one if the reasons I do not want a wireless system. Yes, they are convenient, but easier to hack into. Due to a head injury last year, I’m not so certain I have the cognitive capacity to quickly delve very deeply into the in’s and out’s of cameras to the point where I can put my own system together. The injury has left me feeling violated, Hence my present drive for “security.” I don’t know if that makes sense, but that my current status. I do know of an electrician who’ll run the wiring for me.
Most of us here will help as you progress and run into road blocks.

EricaU

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll say what we tell every first time poster - read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes - it's a great wealth of knowledge that has been collected over time!

I'll point out a couple of take aways from the the cliff notes. First, don't get caught up in the megapixel race. Higher resolution comes at a cost and that cost is worse low-light performance. Also, unless you have a very bright environment, full color night vision performance may be very sub-par too.Low light performance has dramatically improved over the years and become more affordable, but there are still limitations to what you can expect.

PS - Welcome too! This is a great forum to get your questions answered.
Thank you for the warm welcome and guidance. I thought the higher pixel was better for zooming in on objects. One of the reasons for installing cameras outside is to catch which neighbor is letting their dog use our lawn as a toilet, I figured the higher pixel would be best. However, at night, the only light around my house comes from one street light that sits on the corner (we are on a corner lot), and another that's across the street. We have the Ring doorbell camera, and when I check on it at night, the image is in color. Would that mean there is enough light to activate a camera's low light color option?

EricaU

n3wb
Reaction score
+1^^.
Also, avoid Reolink (many negatives on this forum) and I suggest turret-style over bullets (spiders and webs, frequent cleaning) or domes (UV attacks plastic, frequent cleaning due to dust sticking with fog).

Stick with Dahua 2MP Starlight turrets or Hikvision Darkfighter 2MP turrets. I suggest Empire Tech ( @EMPIRETECANDY ) here or on amazon.

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT! :)
Thanks for the warm welcome. I have looked at Dahua before joining, but because it wasn't part of a "system," I felt intimidated and out of my league, so to speak. I couldn't figure out if the NVR actually came with preinstalled software, or if I had to find some software on my own. I stumbled across a YouTube video this morning which may answer my question, but I'm still uncertain. A hard drive was installed right out of the in the video, which makes me question if the software was obtained elsewhere, but it was never mentioned. Here is a link to the video: .

It seems turrets are recommended over bullets, so that's good to know. I'll definitely look up the camera you suggest. Since there isn't a lot of light around my house, would you say an LED enable camera, or deterrent camera is a good idea? Also, I was leaning toward installing a Ring floodlight camera since our current floodlight needs to be replaced. What are your thought's or suggestions on that?

EricaU

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Erica

FYI - some of the cloud dependent cameras has issues with "proof" as they fail to provide an embedded time stamp and thus may not be admitted as evidence by a judge if appropriately challenged by the defense.
That makes a lot of sense. I have WIFI cams in the house, Wyze, but they are mostly for keeping an eye on where my parrots are in the house. I don't have full confidence in the "everything wireless" world.

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No disrespect but I think you are likely to regret trying to do it yourself. The whole process is complex and even more challenging if you don't start with some technical knowledge (even though you do sound highly intelligent). In your place, I would simply get a recommended local installer in to give you advice, put the system in for you and provide a level of ongoing support. It may cost less than making DIY mistakes and will almost certainly deliver what you want.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No disrespect but I think you are likely to regret trying to do it yourself. The whole process is complex and even more challenging if you don't start with some technical knowledge (even though you do sound highly intelligent). In your place, I would simply get a recommended local installer in to give you advice, put the system in for you and provide a level of ongoing support. It may cost less than making DIY mistakes and will almost certainly deliver what you want.
No disrespect, but I am going the DYI road... Read, Read, Read then Ask Questions

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Um, your new here....This forum does not shy away from helping DIY's. A lot of "security cam installers" don't know their butt from a hole in the ground.
You don't know the person's skill level, and I certainly would not discourage anyone that has the will to try to do it themselves.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome. I have looked at Dahua before joining, but because it wasn't part of a "system," I felt intimidated and out of my league, so to speak. I couldn't figure out if the NVR actually came with preinstalled software, or if I had to find some software on my own. I stumbled across a YouTube video this morning which may answer my question, but I'm still uncertain. A hard drive was installed right out of the in the video, which makes me question if the software was obtained elsewhere, but it was never mentioned. Here is a link to the video: .

It seems turrets are recommended over bullets, so that's good to know. I'll definitely look up the camera you suggest. Since there isn't a lot of light around my house, would you say an LED enable camera, or deterrent camera is a good idea? Also, I was leaning toward installing a Ring floodlight camera since our current floodlight needs to be replaced. What are your thought's or suggestions on that?
An NVR has the software/firmware embedded. Once you install a HD (we suggest the Western Digital Purple drives). You don't need to find the software elsewhere.

With that said, a lot of us here use a dedicated PC with Blue Iris Software for our NVR. It is a lot more capable and customization. It is no harder to setup and get running than a regular NVR.
See here: Blue Iris - Video Security Software
You can purchase a refurbished PC from Ebay for under $200 that would run a small camera system. If you decide to go that route, we are here to help.
Here is an idea of the PC's that would work: Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

If it's not yet been mentioned, be sure to spend some time in the Wiki here, specifically the Cliff Notes. Lots of info provided.
Wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

I would avoid Ring and anything else that depends on the cloud.

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Um, your new here....This forum does not shy away from helping DIY's. A lot of "security cam installers" don't know their butt from a hole in the ground.
You don't know the person's skill level, and I certainly would not discourage anyone that has the will to try to do it themselves.
Yep, I've suffered with one or two bad installers in the past, which is why I advised choosing a "recommended" installer. I caught one of them trying to fit an IP57 camera in an exposed spot and when I called him out he assured me it was a professional outdoor camera but that the manufacturer expects the installer to make them waterproof.

Anyway, if the OP is keen to learn, it's a fun project…and she'll be a lot wiser the next time around. I stand by my advice though. After extensive research and cutting my teeth on DIY wi-fi cameras, I'm still booking a pro to install my new $2,500 POE system next month.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, I've suffered with one or two bad installers in the past, which is why I advised choosing a "recommended" installer. I caught one of them trying to fit an IP57 camera in an exposed spot and when I called him out he assured me it was a professional outdoor camera but that the manufacturer expects the installer to make them waterproof.

Anyway, if the OP is keen to learn, it's a fun project…and she'll be a lot wiser the next time around. I stand by my advice though. After extensive research and cutting my teeth on DIY wi-fi cameras, I'm still booking a pro to install my new $2,500 POE system next month.

EricaU

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your concern, however I came to this site for the sole purpose of getting help from individuals who are eager to help those with a similar situation as mine. I understand some technical knowledge is necessary, and despite my "cry for help," I am not ignorant to technology, I'm just not familiar with the best steps to tread when setting up a camera system. Professionals are in business to make money, consumers, like myself, want to save as much as possible. Even if I were to seek out a professional's assistance, I still need to have some background knowledge to prevent being taken advantage of. That's why I'm here, and thus far, I'm confident I'm being led in the proper direction.

rmalbers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FWIW: I didn't read all these replies so this might have been said but the real work is the wiring, and how much work the wiring is depends on the construction of the building. If you use D or K stuff, there's a ton of help articles/videos, you can do that part, the wiring might be an issue.