Please look at my situation and advise

Flitch

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is my situation. To the north of my house is a major hwy that is divided by a 5' fence and dense vegetation but I still have people who cross it when they run out of gas or break down. The house to the south of mine is where my parents live and our road, which is private, goes another 500 feet to the main road.

Because I have a sawmill and build things, I sometimes have folks I don't know stop by for no other reason than to see my work. Frustratingly, I've had people steal and other things have walked off. So, I'd like help picking specific cameras as I have no idea which ones should be used as perimeter, long distance or near entrances. I have a spare synology ds218+ that I will dedicate for the system but from there I need help.

If there is something else that is needed to help, please let me know and I will get back as soon as I can. Thank you in advance. Camera positions - home 3.jpg Camera positions - home 4.jpg Camera positions - home 5.jpg Camera positions - home 6.jpg Camera positions - home 7.jpg Camera positions - home 8.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @Flitch

I highly recommend getting just one good IP PoE camera and a POE power source and playing around with it a bit to get a better understanding of the capabilities of a camera. Once you're done that it is easier to plan a good setup imho.

I would suggest looking for Southern Yankees welcome to new members and pick one of the varifocal models of cameras to start playing with.

Flitch

n3wb
Reaction score
thank you Mat. I have a network system already installed from my shop to my office in the house. One thing I wish I had more of is time to do that. I don't know what Southern Yankees is, sorry. I found a Southern Electronics cameras website.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with the recommendation to buy one good varifocal camera to start with. This would be a solid choice: http://amzn.com/B07DRC93S8 -- It is one of the cheapest good varifocal cams you can get, with excellent low light performance. Great for watching choke points at short to medium range to identify people.

This is also high on my recommendations: http://amzn.com/B07KQ4Z4QP -- I love these as overview cameras because they are cheap, wide angles with good 4K sensors. Not as good as the 2MP starlight cams in low light, but good enough given that they won't be your main cameras for identifying people.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
--------------------------------
I am SouthernYankee.

Start with one IPC-HDW2231R-ZS variable focus camera. This camera is good a night. Build a test mounting device, A 5 gallon bucket filled with rocks and a long 2X4. Use it to test each camera location.

Cameras can provide two main types of information, what happened and who did it. As in your property it may be difficult to get a single camera to provided both types of information.

Also listen to BP2008 as he provides excellent advice.
--------------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras ( ) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
12) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
13) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
14) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW5231-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

-------------------------------------------------
if you are interested in Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
you can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store.

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com

------------------------------------------------------

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.