Reaction score

peste19

n3wb
Reaction score
Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@mat200 Sorry, I posted the incorrect system to what I was looking at, I updated the original post but it's this 1,

16-Channel 4K NVR and 8 Outdoor 4K (8MP) IP Fixed 30FPS Real-Time Format Nocturnal Cameras with Color Night Vision and Audio Recording

I am not as knowledgeable as you, is there another system you would recommend regardless if other brand within my budget?

Thanks in advance
Hi @peste19

If you're not under an immediate threat take some time to figure this out first.

See the welcome notes that @SouthernYankee posts - they're a great quick summary to help get you started.

If you want to learn more before buying a kit, look at one of the 2MP Dahua OEM starlight cameras to start playing with.

Also - if you decide to buy a kit from a US vendor - wait until the deals come around BF-cyberweek.

peste19

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not under any immediate danger however it would make my family feel more secure and comfortable.

We had someone come in the middle of the night recently, rang our doorbell and ran. Probably some kids but left the rest of the family a bit concerned.

That's why I was trying to get it done as soon as possible

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not under any immediate danger however it would make my family feel more secure and comfortable.

We had someone come in the middle of the night recently, rang our doorbell and ran. Probably some kids but left the rest of the family a bit concerned.

That's why I was trying to get it done as soon as possible
Hi @peste19

Do take a close look at Southern Yankee's excellent summary for welcoming new members. This is the best summary to start with. Once you've covered that look at the cliff notes.

Then I would HIGHLY recommend just getting ONE camera ( one of these imho are best to start with
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW5231-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE )
and a small PoE switch.

Use this for testing. This will help you understand what is possible and what the limits are.

If you get the 5xxx model it has a microSD card slot that can be used to record to, or you can try the Dahua OEM software SmartPSS on a PC or the Demo version of Blue Iris on a PC.

I know when you feel you're in a hurry and want to just get it done, however I want to encourage you to get a decent setup. Remember no product will be perfect, and you will also want an alarm system.

:welcome:

---------------------------
When talking about equipment please provide manufacture and model.
Annke is just a remarketer they make absolutely nothing. So of there cameras are very good and some a pure junk. I have Annke cameras they are 2 MP I61DR cubes which are hikvision Cube .
---------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
12) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
13) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
14) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW5231-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi @peste19

Do take a close look at Southern Yankee's excellent summary for welcoming new members. This is the best summary to start with. Once you've covered that look at the cliff notes.

Then I would HIGHLY recommend just getting ONE camera ( one of these imho are best to start with
IPC-HDW5231-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE )
and a small PoE switch.

Use this for testing. This will help you understand what is possible and what the limits are.

If you get the 5xxx model it has a microSD card slot that can be used to record to, or you can try the Dahua OEM software SmartPSS on a PC or the Demo version of Blue Iris on a PC.

I know when you feel you're in a hurry and want to just get it done, however I want to encourage you to get a decent setup. Remember no product will be perfect, and you will also want an alarm system.

Spot on best advice. We are in process of building a home with what will be 18 cameras. I bought 5 cameras, 4 of which I have no doubts on. The 5th a 5231R-ZE which I’ll test in the field during construction and most likely buy 13 more of those. Highly recommend Andy aka @EMPIRETECANDY as a vendor. Tremendous service.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Spot on best advice. We are in process of building a home with what will be 18 cameras. I bought 5 cameras, 4 of which I have no doubts on. The 5th a 5231R-ZE which I’ll test in the field during construction and most likely buy 13 more of those. Highly recommend Andy aka @EMPIRETECANDY as a vendor. Tremendous service.
I feel you have been building this machine for the past 2 years. :) It sounds great though. Keep us updated.

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Been more than that counting design time lol. Met builder this afternoon and we are scheduled to clear the lot and rock and roll. This is our forever house on the water and builder only builds 7 houses per year so been in line.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Been more than that counting design time lol. Met builder this afternoon and we are scheduled to clear the lot and rock and roll. This is our forever house on the water and builder only builds 7 houses per year so been in line.
Nice, you are running ethernet during build?

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Absolutely, 60 drops and full Unify Network with 6 WiFi APs.