Problems configuring Reolink 823-A with BI5

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I am still missing the beginning frames.. see attached. Anything else I can do?
Also, Disk is at 99% and CPU runs typically 71-78%

Using an Asus N501VW laptop with 24 gig RAM, i7-6700HQ CPU 2.6 GHZ, 64 bit Windows 10
Running 12 cameras. Mix of Dahua, 1 Reolink PTZ (I had 2 and replaced 1 with Dahua), rest are Foscam. (I know now the reputation of Foscam)
"New" is on local Samsung SSD C: drive and "Stored" goes on 2 Terabyte WD Passport D: drive

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Uncheck "Use Object Detection". Enable "Use Zones and HotSpot". Configure the zones in "Edit" directly to the left of "Use Zones and HotSpot". Read the Help file.

Yes, that type of intrusion zone will produce better results.

Using a laptop for Blue Iris is not going to work out in the long run. The CPU in a laptop is a mobile processor designed to minimize power utilization. That means when the processor heats up under load it throttle the speed down to cool the CPU back down. Blue Iris and video streams never relent so something has to give and, eventually, everything will get slow and jerky. On top of that, the storage capacity, hard drive space, is limited to one physical drive. I have 12TB of space spread over three drives in my desktop and will be adding another 8TB sometime this summer. That single, relatively small, drive in your laptop will fill very quickly if you're recording 24/7 and if you're not recording 24/7 you risk missing too many things that can prove important when push comes to shove.

Have you followed all the tips in the WiKi regarding optimizing Blue Iris, particularly using sub streams. Sub streams are key to getting CPU utilization down to reasonable levels. Hardware acceleration is not particularly critical since sub streams have come into use in BI. There is a very modest reduction in CPU utilization from HA and HA can also cause problems because of video driver conflicts, IE it doesn't work well with all Intel video drivers.

To put things in perspective for you, I run 21 cameras, a mix of 2MP and 4MP, on an i7-6700 and record 24/7. CPU utilization hovers around 20% utilization, varying slightly higher during the day and slightly lower at night. Disk utilization is at, essentially 100% of the disks allocated for video storage but the C: drive isn't even at 50%. I store all alerts and video on dedicated drives for that specific reason and purpose. The only thing related to BI that are on the C: drive are the program and the database, everything else is on dedicated drives. All of the cameras utilize sub streams and none of them utilize hardware acceleration. I use a three second buffer for both pre-trigger and post trigger, motion zones and IVS on the camera. The system never misses me going out the door or coming back in, either.

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Uncheck "Use Object Detection". Enable "Use Zones and HotSpot". Configure the zones in "Edit" directly to the left of "Use Zones and HotSpot". Read the Help file.

Yes, that type of intrusion zone will produce better results.

Using a laptop for Blue Iris is not going to work out in the long run. The CPU in a laptop is a mobile processor designed to minimize power utilization. That means when the processor heats up under load it throttle the speed down to cool the CPU back down. Blue Iris and video streams never relent so something has to give and, eventually, everything will get slow and jerky. On top of that, the storage capacity, hard drive space, is limited to one physical drive. I have 12TB of space spread over three drives in my desktop and will be adding another 8TB sometime this summer. That single, relatively small, drive in your laptop will fill very quickly if you're recording 24/7 and if you're not recording 24/7 you risk missing too many things that can prove important when push comes to shove.

Have you followed all the tips in the WiKi regarding optimizing Blue Iris, particularly using sub streams. Sub streams are key to getting CPU utilization down to reasonable levels. Hardware acceleration is not particularly critical since sub streams have come into use in BI. There is a very modest reduction in CPU utilization from HA and HA can also cause problems because of video driver conflicts, IE it doesn't work well with all Intel video drivers.

To put things in perspective for you, I run 21 cameras, a mix of 2MP and 4MP, on an i7-6700 and record 24/7. CPU utilization hovers around 20% utilization, varying slightly higher during the day and slightly lower at night. Disk utilization is at, essentially 100% of the disks allocated for video storage but the C: drive isn't even at 50%. I store all alerts and video on dedicated drives for that specific reason and purpose. The only thing related to BI that are on the C: drive are the program and the database, everything else is on dedicated drives. All of the cameras utilize sub streams and none of them utilize hardware acceleration. I use a three second buffer for both pre-trigger and post trigger, motion zones and IVS on the camera. The system never misses me going out the door or coming back in, either.
Thx for the recommendations

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On the Dahua camera, I have noticed that sometimes I will walk down the steps, into the yard toward the street, camera follows me as I walk around with the dog for maybe 1-2 minutes max and the camera will go back to preset 1 prior to 300 seconds (5 minutes). Any idea what can cause this? Any adjustments I can make? Is it because we are not moving around enough? or what else can cause this?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On the Dahua camera, I have noticed that sometimes I will walk down the steps, into the yard toward the street, camera follows me as I walk around with the dog for maybe 1-2 minutes max and the camera will go back to preset 1 prior to 300 seconds (5 minutes). Any idea what can cause this? Any adjustments I can make? Is it because we are not moving around enough? or what else can cause this?
Lot's of factors dictate that. Target ratio, amount of movement, locking on to something else, etc.

The only way to know for sure is to put an SD card in the camera and then playback from it with the IVS rules on so that you can see what is going on.

You cannot see that from BI, just that it stopped tracking.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree, any laptop is a poor choice: Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk
Read the BI help file.
And see these. Blue Iris Support - YouTube

If movement cease's or is very minimal it will stop tracking.
This also depends on how well you have the tracking settings tweaked.
Change a setting, then go out and test by walking around.
Rinse and repeat.

Every location is different, and the camera MUST be fine tuned for it's FOV. We can't set here and tell you everything that needs to be done, because what works in our situation, will most likely not work in yours. So, you must test and verify.

As @wittaj has already stated, you need to put an SD card in the camera so you can see what is actually occurring by watching the play back.
You need to use a little of your own initiative.

Last edited:

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lot's of factors dictate that. Target ratio, amount of movement, locking on to something else, etc.

The only way to know for sure is to put an SD card in the camera and then playback from it with the IVS rules on so that you can see what is going on.

You cannot see that from BI, just that it stopped tracking.
I can see the lens tracking me. (remember my mount is only 10-15 feet off the ground). When it suddenly moves away from me and goes to the front door (Preset 1). So I know its doing it. Just not sure why

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Of course you can see it do it, you are missing the point of what I said. The point is WHY is it happening. In playback with the IVS rules ON you can see WHY it is doing that. It will draw a red block around you and you can see does it move to something else that is stationary and then because it isn't moving it goes back to the preset, or is it the camera is zoomed in too tight and the red box disappears on you and indicates it thinks you are a stationary object.

Or send someone else with you watching it LIVE with the IVS rules on and watch and see what it is doing.

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Of course you can see it do it, you are missing the point of what I said. The point is WHY is it happening. In playback with the IVS rules ON you can see WHY it is doing that. It will draw a red block around you and you can see does it move to something else that is stationary and then because it isn't moving it goes back to the preset, or is it the camera is zoomed in too tight and the red box disappears on you and indicates it thinks you are a stationary object.

Or send someone else with you watching it LIVE with the IVS rules on and watch and see what it is doing.
AH!!! Did not know about this capability! makes sense now.

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
AH!!! Did not know about this capability! makes sense now.
Quick question... on the Dahua, Deep IVS page... I think what is happening is the wind is blowing a tree next to the front door and triggering the camera to leave tracking me while I'm in the front yard and returning to Preset 1 possible. For some reason, occasionally and not after 5 minutes, it leaves tracking me to go to Preset 1. How to I mask out the tree?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You don't want to mask it because then the black mask will stay on the screen as it moves.

Without an SD card in there to know for sure, what I suspect is happening is the reflection off the glass on the garage doors is losing track. It may be the moving tree, but usually once you start in motion, it is a stationary object that it locks onto. Granted the tree is mainly stationary, but if it only happens when the tree is in motion, I think it is something else in the field of view.

Either throw and SD card in or have someone go out while you watch the camera gui livestream with IVS rules on to see what is going on.

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, I am feeling stupid here. Ive never owned a Dahua PTZ nor working with tracking.
1. How do you "turn on IVS rules"?
2. Am I watching from Internet Explorer with direct access to the camera thru its IP address and on the "LIVE" tab?
3. If it is the glass on the garage door, how do I deal with that?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, probably best with Explorer.

Bottom left of the screen are a few icons. Select the one that says Rules Info. This will turn your IVS lines on in Blue and then it will draw rectangles around things it is identifying and running thru AI to determine if it is something to track. Once it tracks, it will do a red square around the object it is tracking.

If it turns out the to the glass, or the tree, or anything, then you adjust brightness/gamma/contrast etc. or make the target ratio a little bigger or smaller.

Are you running 50 default down each of the settings for brightness, contrast, etc.? If so, adjust those. I have found you should have contrast 8-10 points higher than brightness. So if brightness is 45 then contrast is 55 or so. Try not to take any of them over 70.

1645047490280.png

Tinchox17

n3wb
Reaction score
Im having this problem with the 810A and 410.

during daylight, the cameras work "fine" at the right fps, but during the night, the cameras are at half fps.

i couldn't find any settings, reolink support told me is what reolink camaras do, they switch to half fps during night.

im guessing there is nothing i can do right?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That would be correct unfortunately...