***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
They use a different technology that sends all your video to them. You want that?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Look at it this way
Your house has an IP address given to you by your provider . Every house has a different address, just like your postal address. This is your external address on the Interwebs.

Inside your house, your router gives each device, your tv, phone, NVR, refrigerator etc a local internal private address that can’t be reached from the outside. Otherwise, Boris in Bulgaria would have access to your refrigerator.

A VPN allows you to tunnel into your home private addresses from outside your home as if you were at home. It’s a secure way of reaching your NVR that Boris can’t do, only you.

roaoro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Lol, that just went right over my head, guess I better start trying to google for step by step instructions. Curious why I never had anything like that with a nest camera or Vivint.
If simplicity is what you want, you'll want to enable the p2p function on your NVR. Then it will use the similar easy "cloud" access that your used to. VPN would be the preferred secure way of doing it.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850F using Tapatalk

mat-with-one-t

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For some reason I deselected virtual host. I reselected it and applied now I am able to go into the camera setting via E button on WebGUI.
View attachment 60076
I notice you have a 192.168.50.1 address for you router. I've just upgraded to a new Asus NT-AX86U from an old Asus. Previously, the router allocated 192.168.1.xxx numbers, and now I get 192.168.50.xxx
I have lost the ability to simply type the IP of the NVR in a browser to access its GUI, even though settings seem ok. Did you encounter this?? It's driving me crazy.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with using that network. Anything in the 192.168.x.x range is acceptable

That alone isn’t your problem.

See your other thread for more...

Last edited:

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
hmmm... What camera model and NVR model?

I just set up another brand new 4116 NVR and 2 Dahua 8MP cams at home yesterday and worked exactly as I described.

I dont mess with the camera network settings.

View attachment 60766
There's two settings that would be absolutely great to know for sure when using a poe nvr. For troubleshooting odd connection issues with cameras in a poe nvr, should the setting enable arp/ping be set to on? And should the cameras be set to dhcp or static?

Does the nvr change a camera initially set to dhcp to static when the nvr addresses it? If there's odd things happening with cameras in a poe nvr, can enabling arp/ping and switching the camera back to dhcp help, assuming this is done in the camera gui?

I have some cameras from some years ago that appear to be dahua 3 mp eyeballs (remember them!) but they insist on showing up as onvif. They have the arp/ setting off and they are set to static. I'm wondering if I reverse those two settings if they'll show as private with a port number.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Good question. I believe they come out of the box with dhcp on and arp/ping enabled. I’ll try tomorrow

c_snyder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also just to add to this discussion, if you have already initialized a camera and are trying to add it to a PoE NVR it will not work correctly with the multicast / broadcast search disabled. (Option in the system services tab on the camera) I wasted about two hours this morning trying to figure this out. I usually uncheck CGI / Genetec / Onvif in the system services and unchecked multicast / broadcast at the top as well. The NVR would not find the camera automatically nor through a device search. Once re-enabled the camera showed up and was populated into the NVR perfectly.

I did not try to add the camera manually. This might work but then you would have to assign a static IP to the camera in the 10.1.1.x range and I had worries that after a power cut or something the NVR would not re-connect to them properly. Bottom line, leave broadcast enabled. Better yet don't initialize the camera at all and just add it to the NVR fresh like red instructed here. This was just one I had laying around that I had been testing different settings on.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Good to know, thanks @c_snyder

I will say that while I didnt uncheck multicast/broadcast under System, I did have Multicast unchecked under Network and it still finds the camera as expected...

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
OK got a little busy today

So @Shockwave199 I'm trying on a couple of Dahua cameras plugged into PoE ports of a 4116 PoE NVR

1- When initially connected to the NVR PoE port the NVR assigns it a static IP in the 10.1.1.x range and Arp/Ping is Enabled by default.

2) While connected to the NVR, I am able to change to DHCP and disable Arp/Ping and Vice versa. It allows me to save that and log out and back in verifies that it held DHCP and Arp/Ping Disabled.

3) After disconnecting the camera from the NVR, and reconnecting, the NVR finds the camera fine as it still had the assigned IP it started with (10.1.1.x) even though set to DHCP and Arp/Ping Disabled. (101.1.1x address is not unique to the camera, it is assigned to the Port as we've discovered.)

4) In static mode, it allows you to change the IP and Gateway. So I changed both to the 192.168.1.x range, hit Save and it went offline as expected. After disconnecting it from the NVR, and reconnecting, the NVR found it again, assigned it the port 10.1.1.x address and changed the Gateway back to the 10.1.1.x range.

So it would seem its hard to get it to not be recognized unless you are on an external switch and not on the local LAN network. If on a local LAN IP, and connected to an external switch, the NVR will find it via Device search, it will use a port of 37777 and not the internal port of 1,2,3 etc,, and can be added manually and still be available via the blue IE icon.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
OK got a little busy today

So @Shockwave199 I'm trying on a couple of Dahua cameras plugged into PoE ports of a 4116 PoE NVR

1- When initially connected to the NVR PoE port the NVR assigns it a static IP in the 10.1.1.x range and Arp/Ping is Enabled by default.

2) While connected to the NVR, I am able to change to DHCP and disable Arp/Ping and Vice versa. It allows me to save that and log out and back in verifies that it held DHCP and Arp/Ping Disabled.

3) After disconnecting the camera from the NVR, and reconnecting, the NVR finds the camera fine as it still had the assigned IP it started with (10.1.1.x) even though set to DHCP and Arp/Ping Disabled. (101.1.1x address is not unique to the camera, it is assigned to the Port as we've discovered.)

4) In static mode, it allows you to change the IP and Gateway. So I changed both to the 192.168.1.x range, hit Save and it went offline as expected. After disconnecting it from the NVR, and reconnecting, the NVR found it again, assigned it the port 10.1.1.x address and changed the Gateway back to the 10.1.1.x range.

So it would seem its hard to get it to not be recognized unless you are on an external switch and not on the local LAN network. If on a local LAN IP, and connected to an external switch, the NVR will find it via Device search, it will use a port of 37777 and not the internal port of 1,2,3 etc,, and can be added manually and still be available via the blue IE icon.
Thanks for doing that! Very much appreciated by not only me I'm sure. I have sorted my problems out and I can confirm that the cameras should be on dhcp and arp/ping enabled. It straightens out prior mistakes that may have been made on the camera end which can make a camera show as onvif instead of private or not assign a port. I'll also suggest that with these whacky poe NVR's it's best to decide what cameras and what channels you want them on and have every camera hooked up right from the start BEFORE you power on your spanking new dahua nvr and cameras. Then power the nvr and let it sort out everything. If it takes a couple minutes, be patient and let the nvr do its thing.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
As long as you haven't messed with the network settings too much on the camera, or a its new camera, no need.
Just fire up NVR, plug in camera, wait 2-5 minutes, Presto.

Most problems I've seen with PoE NVR's are self inflicted
  • Setup P2P on NVR on initialize
  • Use an extender and try and run 3-4 cameras off one PoE port (it can be done but not for the novice)
  • Set their NVR to DHCP and cant find it
  • Mess with the Config tool and screw up networking settings upon setup
  • Mess with the switch network settings
  • Instead of waiting a few minutes for the NVR to find the camera, they manually Add it to the bottom pane- which usually results in a 37777 port and no ability to connect via the IE icon
  • Change something on their LAN and cannot connect to the NVR
  • Forget they changed the password on the camera

Last edited:

c_snyder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good to know, thanks @c_snyder

I will say that while I didnt uncheck multicast/broadcast under System, I did have Multicast unchecked under Network and it still finds the camera as expected...
That's what I discovered as well. I leave both multicast boxes unchecked in the network section and it works fine. It seems that the one that includes broadcast in system is the key one.

Also something else I noticed during testing, my NVR will accept my dahua cameras regardless of password or username. This may have been covered at some point in time on the forums but it appears that the NVR, operating under the private protocol is able to disregard the credentials and add the cameras regardless. I tried using different passwords for both the NVR and the cameras and each time a camera was plugged in it populated no problem. I never entered the camera credentials into the NVR anywhere. I did read that an uninitialized camera will assume the NVR credentials when plugged in from new but it does seem that even initialized cameras with a modified username and password will work fine too. This is using dahua cameras with a dahua NVR on the built in PoE switch.

It doesn't appear that the NVR is passing credentials and overwriting the existing password because when I click on the blue IE icon to access the camera directly the NVR password will not work. It only allows a login with the unique password I set for that camera during initialization. I don't know if this is specific to cameras connected to the internal switch or not I didn't try any cameras outside of the NVR so to speak. This is all just kind of an FYI really and the result of my experimenting. I would still stick to the regular setup method to be sure everything goes smoothly.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Correct, once you have set a new password on a camera and plug it back into a newish Dahua NVR, the camera retains the pass you set on it,

But on testing on two different 4000 series NVRs this morning, while the NVR recognized the camera, I had to hit the Edit pencil and tell the NVR what the camera password was. It doesnt figure it out by itself. Until doing that I get a red indicator light and no active IE icon

photogeek54

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can't find IP of samsung camera on NVR Ethernet ports
I have a strange samsung camera (SNH-P6410BN Smartcam HD Pro) that samsung has removed the web interface in the latest firmware so I can't ask the camera what its IP is. The Dahua NVR5208 has assigned an IP via DHCP and I can use the samsung app to access the camera remotely. Is there a way to ask the DHCP server in the NVR what IP it has assigned to the camera? Device search seems to only show Dahua cameras connected to the ethernet ports so I'll have to add it manually. Maybe I'm not using device search correctly?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Um something doesnt add up

If the NVR had assigned an IP from its switch (assuming a PoE NVR) you would see it on the registration page. Then you say you'll have to add it manually. Both cant be right I dont think. The NVR assigns a port to each PoE port regardless of what camera is plugged in.

Are you sure its not getting an IP from your LAN and thats why you can see it on your app/

photogeek54

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It’s not a POE camera but its plugged into one of the poe capable ports in the nvr so it’s on the 10.1.1.* network. I have other cameras plugged into those ports and never have been able to see them with
Device search, I add them manually.