Recommended security camera system for garage

Saleen21

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’ve looked and reviewed 100’s of security cameras from ring, nest, Swann, Lorex, Amcrest, and Reolink and to be honest, none of them actually have great reviews. But out of those I was set on getting the Reolink 4K four to eight camera POE package. But then I saw a FB add pop up for Montavue, but never heard of them and then that led me to here and see people mentioning Dahua, but never heard them either and can’t find anywhere to purchase them.
So bottom line looking for recommendations for POE security cameras for garage Inside and outside of garage). Video quality is top priority day and night as garage was broken into once already and the Vivint security cameras mounted on house was too grainy at night to make out who the thief was.

any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve looked and reviewed 100’s of security cameras from ring, nest, Swann, Lorex, Amcrest, and Reolink and to be honest, none of them actually have great reviews. But out of those I was set on getting the Reolink 4K four to eight camera POE package. But then I saw a FB add pop up for Montavue, but never heard of them and then that led me to here and see people mentioning Dahua, but never heard them either and can’t find anywhere to purchase them.
So bottom line looking for recommendations for POE security cameras for garage Inside and outside of garage). Video quality is top priority day and night as garage was broken into once already and the Vivint security cameras mounted on house was too grainy at night to make out who the thief was.

thanks
Study this: Wiki and This: Cliff Notes
Also, you need a real Alarm system, first and foremost. Cams are for after the fact. With a VERY loud siren inside the garage.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Welcome to the land of video surveillance lunatics. Be sure to check the WiKI, in the blue bar at the top of the page. Study, carefully on a real computer, the Cliff Notes in there. There is also a lot of other good information for sizing a system and keeping it safe on the internet, foil the "phone home" features. Read, study plan, ask questions, revise plans and test before spending money. It'll save you time, frustration and money in the end. There's tons of reviews here on cameras, and NVRs to help confuse you even more when trying to make a decision.

If you want a good, actually good, system at a reasonable price check with Andy at Empire Tech/King Security. He deals with mostly Dahua but also has some Hikvision. Additionally, IPCT sells Hikvision and Amcrest. One more is Nelly's Security, also here on IPCT. You'll find most people here use Blue Iris on a stand alone PC rather than an NVR. WiFi, Reolink, Nest, Hello, Hello Kitty and Foscam, just to name a few, are "consumer grade" equipment and, in spite of their advertised claims, poor performers especially at night.

kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:
forum: EmpireTech Andy

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ring, Reolink, Nest are junk.

Read study, plan before spending money

On a normal two car garage, mount two cameras one on each side of the door, no higher than the top of the door.
---------------------------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
17) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
I
PC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

thanks
Welcome @Saleen21

Montavue carries Dahua OEM cameras, many of which have the IVS features.
Lorex is now owned by Dahua, and carries mostly Dahua OEM cameras which iirc do not have the IVS features.

Amcrest ( see the vendor section here ) also has Dahua OEM cameras, and imho the newer models are nicer.
EmpireTech ( see EmpireTecAndy ) is also here in the vendor section, and typically has the broadest selection of models - often carrying models better in low light conditions ( see the reviews by members )

Many members prefer to use Blue Iris software on a PC and mix and match cameras to meet their needs instead of buying a "kit".

Do look for Swann and Reolink related threads here.

Numerous options, definitely check out the reviews and cliff notes.

Saleen21

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ring, Reolink, Nest are junk.

Read study, plan before spending money

On a normal two car garage, mount two cameras one on each side of the door, no higher than the top of the door.
---------------------------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
17) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
I
PC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess
I’m curious what you mean by each side of door and no higher than top of door, you have any pics for reference, I’m not quite following what your meaning.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The outside garage door. Mount the cameras on the right and left side of the door. Mount the cameras no higher than the top of the door. DO NOT mount the cameras on the soffit. That is to high to be any good. If you want a chance of of see the bad guy and identifying them, mount no higher than 7 ft up.

Test the mounting location with bucket of rocks and a 2x4, mount the camera on the 2x4 at the correct height. Have a friend or wife wear a hoodie, sun glasses and a base ball cap, doing a door check on a car in the driveway, an you identify them, will it be usable for the cops ? Test it again at night.

I do not have a setup like this as I never park in the driveway.

Garage.jpg

Saleen21

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The outside garage door. Mount the cameras on the right and left side of the door. Mount the cameras no higher than the top of the door. DO NOT mount the cameras on the soffit. That is to high to be any good. If you want a chance of of see the bad guy and identifying them, mount no higher than 7 ft up.

Test the mounting location with bucket of rocks and a 2x4, mount the camera on the 2x4 at the correct height. Have a friend or wife wear a hoodie, sun glasses and a base ball cap, doing a door check on a car in the driveway, an you identify them, will it be usable for the cops ? Test it again at night.

I do not have a setup like this as I never park in the driveway.

View attachment 60336
Ahh ok for some reason I was thinking you meant inside the garage above the door. Thanks

TJIP

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Montavue system and it works well. However the s/w for the NVR and cameras is not the latest from what I can tell. I have procured a couple of PTZ cameras from AndyEmpire and they were plug and play but missing some IVS functionality. I have not messed with it very much to see if I can correct because I don't want to brick my cameras or system.
Again, I have been happy with my Montavue system, but after doing more research on ALL pre-assembled kits, they all include cameras that are out of date or EOL. Where you could assemble your own with blue iris, or buy a Montavue / Dahua NVR and then buy what cameras you like from Dahua. Your choice.
Cheers!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Montavue system and it works well. However the s/w for the NVR and cameras is not the latest from what I can tell. I have procured a couple of PTZ cameras from AndyEmpire and they were plug and play but missing some IVS functionality. I have not messed with it very much to see if I can correct because I don't want to brick my cameras or system.
Again, I have been happy with my Montavue system, but after doing more research on ALL pre-assembled kits, they all include cameras that are out of date or EOL. Where you could assemble your own with blue iris, or buy a Montavue / Dahua NVR and then buy what cameras you like from Dahua. Your choice.
Cheers!
Hi @TJIP

Drop the folks at Montavue a line and see if they can assist with getting newer firmware.

TJIP

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @TJIP

Drop the folks at Montavue a line and see if they can assist with getting newer firmware.
I will reach out to them. It has been on my list, but it has not been that pressing.
Again, I have been very happy with them as a company.