Reolink Camera question

BUneedhelp

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello I am new to the forums and wanted to ask opinions on the Reolink camera systems. Looking for advice on what to pick for a backup system and they seem to have some great options that are not too expensive. Has anyone used these cameras in the past? Do you guys recommend any better options? Thanks in advance and appreciate any info. Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello I am new to the forums and wanted to ask opinions on the Reolink camera systems. Looking for advice on what to pick for a backup system and they seem to have some great options that are not too expensive. Has anyone used these cameras in the past? Do you guys recommend any better options? Thanks in advance and appreciate any info. Thanks!
Welcome @BUneedhelp

Members dislike Reolink for a number of well documented reasons here.

I would recommend you spend a little more for a better kit.

BUneedhelp

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. So would you recommend the setup below. I am looking to get an always-on system to run through the garage to the front of the house with SD card capability. It would be awesome to have a backup battery on the camera with SD card but I can't find a good system with those options other than Arlo's product line. But Arlo looks like we would need a subscription and an additional 10$\month for always on which seems ridiculous to me. Also, they only record continuous in the cloud at regular HD. Seems like everywhere I look I see some products that are great but there is something that ruins it. I didn't think it would be this hard to find a great system.

Ipcam.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Arlo is also on the very low end of security cameras. Keep in mind that most on this forum are either serious "hobbyests" or video surveillance professionals and are accustomed to using higher quality, pro-sumer, grade equipment.

Any of the PoE cameras can be battery backed up with a UPS supply. In fact that is just good practice. A local means of recording is needed, either an NVR or VMS (dedicated PC) with sufficient storage space for video depending on how many cameras, resolution, frame rate and how long you want to store them for.

I strongly suggest you look in the WiKi, in the blue bar at the top of the page. There is a ton of excellent information in there covering all aspects of setting up a system that actually works.

Incidentally, there is no link or description visible in your last post. Generally speaking, packages are usually low end compromises in terms of hardware and all the cameras come with 2.8mm lenses which are not really appropriate in far too many situations.

BUneedhelp

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again. The pic I was trying to attach is the 4 channel POE Plug-N-Play 4K NVR listed in the IPCamTalk store with the Amcrest 4k Outdoor IP Cam (8MP). Is pretty much anything in the IPcamtalk store decent equipment? I thought about a UPS backup and will have to look for one that could power the NVR effeciently. I'm sure I can find info on that somewhere on these forums. It's just that what good is a security system if someone can just walk up and clip a wire to disable it.. that's why I want to move away from a cloud system.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The equipment in the IPCT store is good equipment, but you do REALLY need to read the information in the WiKi. Do not chase megapixels, chase sensor size. The current "king of the hill" camera is the Dahua 5442 series and the Hikvision equivalents. They use a 1/1.8" sensor and are 4MP cameras. Their low light performance is excellent, still not full color in really dark conditions, but can maintain full color with a little ambient light. Price, per camera, is in the $150 range. If those cameras were 8MP, 4K, they would only perform half as well assuming the same sensor size. There are 4/3" sensor sizes available, but bring your checkbook and a small loan for those, comparatively speaking.

Incidentally, Amcrest is actually rebranded Dahua, I believe.

BUneedhelp

n3wb
Reaction score
Awesome thanks. I was wondering about the 8MP vs 4MP and whether it really is a case where greater is better. I will check out the Dahua 5442. Appreciate your input on this since I'm getting on the forum with basic knowledge and a lot of you have spent a ton of time researching it.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
Read,study,plan before spending money .
Start with one good quality variable focus camera. Verify you camera locations and lens size.
There is NOT one size fits all.
==================

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Read Study Plan before spending money
Cameras are for surveillance to get information for after the fact.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) your first camera should be a good variable focus camera to check camera placement and the correct lens.
3) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
4) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
5) Do not use wifi cameras.
6) Do not use cloud storage
7) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
8) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
9) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
10) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
11) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
12) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
13) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
14) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
15) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
16) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
17) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
18) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
19) Camera lens size, a bigger number give more range but less field of view. Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?
20) verify your camera placement, have a friend wearing a hoodie, ball cap and sunglasses looking down approach the house, can you identify them ?

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW5442-ZE ..... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
IPC-HFW7442H-Z ..... Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera -- MP variable focus AI
IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
IPC-T3241-ZAS ...... Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal -- 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal
IPC-HFW2831T-ZS ... Review-Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZS 8MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera -- 8MP Bullet 1/1.8” sensor variable focus.
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry
IPC-T2347G-LU....... Review-Loryta OEM 4MP IPC-T2347G-LU ColorVu Fixed Turret Network 4mm lens & Junction Box -- 4MP ColorVu
.................... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera.

Other dahua 4MP starlight
My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A
If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Before asking a question search the forum first...
The best way to search the forum is to use Google
In the google search window enter.. site:ipcamtalk.com ?????? ..where ?????? is the items/terms you are interested in.
Example site:ipcamtalk.com PALE MOON BROWSER

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks again. The pic I was trying to attach is the 4 channel POE Plug-N-Play 4K NVR listed in the IPCamTalk store with the Amcrest 4k Outdoor IP Cam (8MP). Is pretty much anything in the IPcamtalk store decent equipment? I thought about a UPS backup and will have to look for one that could power the NVR effeciently. I'm sure I can find info on that somewhere on these forums. It's just that what good is a security system if someone can just walk up and clip a wire to disable it.. that's why I want to move away from a cloud system.
HI @BUneedhelp

I would recommend NOT getting a very small NVR... as often most people end up wanting to add more cameras..

At this time, I suggest picking up one good 4MP Dahua OEM 1/1.8" sensor camera, varifocal and start playing with it. Once you get the hang of it you will be understand your wants and needs.

Then you can compromise with your budget and get a setup that works well enough for your home.