Reolink: Deconstruction of a dangerous misleading youtube review "Finding the BEST 4K Security Camera NVR Package (Reolink vs Amcrest vs Swann)"

Elton Noway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great information from all... thanks! Wanted to run this by you all Just to make sure I'm deciphering everything correctly. Here's the deal... my mailbox is 185 feet from the closest mounting position I can use. Not ideal but it is what it is. I don't need an event triggers, facial recognition software, motion detection, PTZ capability etc. I'm basically looking for a POE camera I can set-and forget... one that will capture activity around my mailbox 24 hours a day while providing the best, "closest" video image I can get without breaking the bank. I know there are some super powerful optical zoom cameras out there but some of the price tags are more than I spent on my entire system. I'm also aware that due to the distance, night vision recordings IR or otherwise wouldnt be very good but night vision recording are not my first priority. I have a nice bright mercury vapor street light just above my mail box which illuminates the entire area so hoping it will help. I'm not sure if a bullet style camera or a dome style camera will offer the best solution for my situation but based on the above info it it appears a zoomed in Vari-focal like the bullet style 5241-Z12E fits the bill. Yes-No- Other suggestion?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great information from all... thanks! Wanted to run this by you all Just to make sure I'm deciphering everything correctly. Here's the deal... my mailbox is 185 feet from the closest mounting position I can use. Not ideal but it is what it is. I don't need an event triggers, facial recognition software, motion detection, PTZ capability etc. I'm basically looking for a POE camera I can set-and forget... one that will capture activity around my mailbox 24 hours a day while providing the best, "closest" video image I can get without breaking the bank. I know there are some super powerful optical zoom cameras out there but some of the price tags are more than I spent on my entire system. I'm also aware that due to the distance, night vision recordings IR or otherwise wouldnt be very good but night vision recording are not my first priority. I have a nice bright mercury vapor street light just above my mail box which illuminates the entire area so hoping it will help. I'm not sure if a bullet style camera or a dome style camera will offer the best solution for my situation but based on the above info it it appears a zoomed in Vari-focal like the bullet style 5241-Z12E fits the bill. Yes-No- Other suggestion?
Yes, the Z12E will give you the best image at that distance unless you jump to a PTZ.

You will find any other camera would just provide too big of a field of view that wouldn't let you be able to IDENTIFY anything.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - found this to be interesting posted at reddit

There was a good reply .. basically add a lot more light ( flood lights )

Posted byu/airbag888
2 months ago
New to Reolink and not a thrilled by the night time motion performance (8CH NVR + 820A & 822A)
Question about NVR and POE Cam

Hi guys. After watching hookups videos I got naively sold on the reolinks. I'm even more ashamed to say that because I'm into IT and been dabbling in IP Cams ages ago..
Anyway thinking the industry moved forwards and not back I got a set of Reolink 8ch NVR + 4 cams + 3 additional ones thinking (again naively) that the 4k resolution would do great...
Part of the reason for my lack of research was due to me being a new dad of 2 and also building our new home.
As the times go home got ready 4-5 months later than expected aka Reolink return window gone.

Now managed to install most of them (2 left) and to my regret, nighttime motion SUCKS. No other way to put it.. It ghosts and smears and changing the setting for exposure does not do ANYTHING.
Suffice to say that while the still picture is not bad (no thief is going to strike a pose for a selfie)

Research seems to show that this is due to

a small sensor to resolution ratio

craptastic iframe to fps ratio (it should be 1:1 but it's more like 1:4)

bad shutter speeds.

Essentially the iframe and shutter speeds are tuned to produce a great still image but anything moving is lost.
The issue apparently being the hardware itself, if it was tuned as required above to produce a clear moving image, it would be too dark to be usable.

Obviously, law enforcement would not be able to take ghost/smeared faces for any sort of identification and obviously, while daytime performance is great most crimes occur at night

1638576152122.png

1638576261112.png

ref:

The reply by Specialturkeyraww was good, and he did a good youtube review which showed that you must add a significant amount of flood light to get the reolinks to work at night.

Default = no floodlight
Adjust = with floodlight

( basically Reolink just stinks in low light performance .. )

1638576665208.png

He noted, that he likes to force the Reolink cameras to remain in B&W mode ( IR light ) instead of color mode to get a crisp image, and only uses one camera for color info.

1638576890911.png

ref:

Last edited:

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
@mat200
The sad story about it..

The one who made the video (rhiz oplast) was banned(not 100% sure, but i think he was banned like me) from reolinks subreddit for asking the wrong questions.

3 months ago he started complaining about reolinks move to remove shutter/gain control from the firmware
you can read it here:

as you see the OP posted it 3 months ago, then he got banned..
now "Specialturkeyraww" posting the similiar content and maybe got banned again, because the turkey guy seems not active anymore.

there are people who try to find an answer to understand why their reoshit is now even worse.

reoshit.PNG

reoshit2.jpg

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Check out how great it is compared to Ring when nobody is moving...

And .. this is what he looks like when moving with good light ...

1639461702321.png
1639461768262.png

Note he is comparing a 8MP camera ("4K") with a 2mp ("1080p") camera

1639461860278.png

ref:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Another one taking the sweet sponsor money.
I made a comment, it got deleted.... I wonder who did it because they can delete comments on their own videos....

Someone here needs to get sponsored by Reolink and tell us what they require you to say about the product.
1639739400365.png

1639739433517.png

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
moderator on reolink subreddit

"What, are police going to say sorry, we can't accept that footage, it's too fishy at the edges?"

nono.. they have enhance tech... :D
went full (sponsored) reolink... its not only the quality, also the fov and mountings looks awful !

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow! It wasn't until the last camera angle when the racoons slowed to almost a stop that you could even see the telltail rings around their tails. It was a burry mess whenever they were moving! I have to laugh that the guy doesn't even know that you can rotate the camera view to correct it whenever you rotate the lens when mounting it. This guy is clearly Reolink's target audience and they have great success with this target group.

Maybe Reolink should change their tag line to "Reolink, when you are too dumb to know any better."

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
moderator on reolink subreddit

"What, are police going to say sorry, we can't accept that footage, it's too fishy at the edges?"

nono.. they have enhance tech... :D
went full (sponsored) reolink... its not only the quality, also the fov and mountings looks awful !

1640832774655.png
1640832815778.png

1640832854199.png

1640832898271.png

finally one pauses to see their slow poke friend .. and we finally see what sort of animal this is..

1640832959507.png

oh, and finally the tail stops moving ..

1640832991857.png

too bad he's turning his head now ..

and with a blur .. there they go ..

1640833026790.png

finally the slow poke comes into frame .. always the laggard ..

1640833091755.png

1640833121626.png

1640833160989.png

pausing for a snail or something .. note, there are 2 coons here .. look closely ..

1640833207873.png

and before you know it they disappear .. um, no wait .. they are still in this frame .. squint a bit more to see them ..

1640833300059.png

and finally the 3rd trailing behind ..

1640833343169.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
fwiw:

reports of Reolink finally updating their firmware to allow iframe adjustments .. just took them forever, let's see if this works and if they put this version as standard ..
( sometimes firmware is forked and the new branch with the features you like gets dropped .. hoping this adjustment becomes the main branch .. )

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The OP of that beta thread was asked to provide BI camera status page update at night to see if the camera will actually honor user inputted FPS and iframes, as well as a night video with motion showing that it was improved...since that hasn't happened either the the OP got busy or it isn't working as advertised....

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Things people like The Hook Up never talk about in a nutshell:
(one of the main problems of most of Hookups "comparisons")

(Quote from the end:
"Take these numbers with a grain of salt and dont rely 100% on the dori numbers. You still want to keep other specs in mind like the IR distance (...). There is a lot more that goes into selecting the perfect security camera"

To add:
-> sensor size
-> DORI @ night / low light

Conclusion: even if MEGAPIXEL was a topic in the video above, there are some downsides (on most cameras) with higher megapixel , like problems with small sensors resulting in horrible night vision.

Last edited: