Reolink - good & bad

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After reading this thread and the transformation of opinion of TL1096r Im wondering what system to get...
Im willing to spend 600$ for a 5 PoE camera system with recording and remote mobile access and notifications of movement.
What other options are there besides Reolink RLK8-410B4 PoE NVR Security Video System - Reolink Store

Thanks for any advice!
Hi Laser21, please check out the discussion at this link for good ideas
Small budget

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Original BI settings made for laggy choppy video.
New BI settings makes for robotic skipping video - while a car will not jump from one location to another and you now see the car throughout the video it looks like it is being slowly pushed (only way I can explain it).

Anyone running the reolink NVR have any good settings they'd like to share to get this video looking normal? On the reolink software it is smooth but I really like the BI software and all the options, much easier and better to use.

Reaction score
Honestly, it's a bit agitating to see someone, probably never use the product, to smear or trash the brand simply because they are not perfect in working with BI. It has been a great experience to use their app for my c2 camera and I do believe there are a lot of people out there enjoying the product the way I do. Just some thoughts.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly, it's a bit agitating to see someone, probably never use the product, to smear or trash the brand simply because they are not perfect in working with BI. It has been a great experience to use their app for my c2 camera and I do believe there are a lot of people out there enjoying the product the way I do. Just some thoughts.
That is NOT why its being trashed...its being trashed because of subpar quality and more importantly, reolink LIED to users about the iframe interval setting, lied about being blue iris compatible AND LIED to ME with respect to its employees SPAMMING this website.
TL1096r can vouch for OTHER lies by reolink

Reaction score
That is NOT why its being trashed...its being trashed because of subpar quality and more importantly, reolink LIED to users about the iframe interval setting, lied about being blue iris compatible AND LIED to ME with respect to its employees SPAMMING this website.
TL1096r can vouch for OTHER lies by reolink
Anyway, the camera that I got works fine and I don't need to use BI or other settings. I am really kind of just want to hook it up and be able to view it. And it works.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyway, the camera that I got works fine and I don't need to use BI or other settings. I am really kind of just want to hook it up and be able to view it. And it works.
its garbage from a lying company....should be avoided....reolink made a HUGE mistake lying and defrauding its user base.....

Reaction score
its garbage from a lying company....should be avoided....reolink made a HUGE mistake lying and defrauding its user base.....
Just curious, have you used their products? You are nice to point out some mistakes they made and help other make an informed purchase decision. Frankly, I am not quite comfortable hearing these especially my experience with the product.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just curious, have you used their products? You are nice to point out some mistakes they made and help other make an informed purchase decision. Frankly, I am not quite comfortable hearing these especially my experience with the product.
I dont need to use their products, I am not dumb enough to buy their junk. I know for a FACT they are junk as others HERE have made the mistake of buying them. Posted images as well as issues with the camera. The mistake they made is LYING to ME. Lying to users here, and lying on their twitter page. They continue to mislead users. There are much better, much more well known reliable brands like dahua and hikvision that are significantly better. Only an idiot would buy reolink. You are an inexperienced user therefore you dont know any better...

okubricko

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought the Reolink RLC-420s before I found this forum. This is my first BlueIris build and first foray into security cameras. After I had everything installed, cameras and software I was disappointed that artifacts and ghosting. I have 4 of these running on a Core i5-650 with 8 gig on memory on Win7. After reading a lot of threads on configuration in general I realized I had the max frames in BI set lower than my framerate for my 420s. I have the resolution set one notch lower than the highest 2560X1440 resolution. I'm sending 15fps from the camera at a max bitrate of 4096kbps using a Clear stream and the H.264 profile on high. I have absolutely zero artifacts or ghosting and a perfectly clear picture. I will say that the night quality probably could be better. But I can make out faces clearly and that's what is important for me. I guess I'm inexperienced or a lucky idiot, maybe I just don't know any better. But I seem to be getting what I think is good quality right now.

Also, I love BI. Now I just need to figure out how to connect my Arduino to the DIO to turn on a light when a camera is triggered.

LaZona

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is nothing good about Reolink. I have one of their 4mp cameras. Nightvission is horrible when it comes to FPS. I would only consider Reolink if you don't need an night vision.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, just popular junk, trying to figure out how to switch to all dahua soon, my last step really is trying to figure out what a good dedicated blue iris machine would be so I will use that as my NVR instead of a NVR...

A Purple WD is suggested? So HD with windows 10 and then second 10TB purple wd? Anyone want to post their BI setup here do so, help others NOT get stuck with a reolink.

If you look at reolink reviews they are great all over, that is a sign something is up, should've known better!

Reaction score
yeah, just popular junk, trying to figure out how to switch to all dahua soon, my last step really is trying to figure out what a good dedicated blue iris machine would be so I will use that as my NVR instead of a NVR...

A Purple WD is suggested? So HD with windows 10 and then second 10TB purple wd? Anyone want to post their BI setup here do so, help others NOT get stuck with a reolink.

If you look at reolink reviews they are great all over, that is a sign something is up, should've known better!
My BI system config is in my signature. Intel SSD for the Windows 10 Pro operating system, and a 2 Terabyte Western Digital Red drive for the video storage, Intel Xeon E3-1225v3 processor with 16 GB of memory, which is overkill, since BI is using only about 2 GB of RAM.

The largest benefit from the SSD is that Windows reboot time is incredibly fast, minimizing the time the Blue Iris service is offline/not running.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nice, seems reasonable, do you have links to purchase.

cameraman27

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I love my reolink cameras.

Low light is not GREAT, but it's acceptable for 90% of users besides very nit-picky 'power users' who toy with their own systems.

I have owned 6 Reolink cameras for about 16 months now and NONE have given me any sort of trouble - and actually the police were amazed at the quality of the photos I gave them of a tresspasser months ago. (which probably goes to show you how much analog or crap 480p stuff is out there that people consider 'just fine')

I JUST recently had a RLC-420 camera go down and reolink is warrantying it after owning it for 13 months -AND- buying from a non-approved seller. Which is very nice of them.

Also all four of my outdoor reolink cameras under the recesses of my roof were able to withstand 120MPH winds from hurricane irma and kept recording the whole time before the power and battery backups went out.

nothing but praise from me, and i am a 'power user' who just doesnt see the benefit of using $150 or more (double the price) comparable dahua or hikvision products (per camera).

Reaction score
Nice, seems reasonable, do you have links to purchase.
Lenovo TS140 and Dell PowerEdge T30 (coupon code "329T30") systems go on sale for about $329 to $349 USD a few times each year.
Western Digital Red or Purple 2TB drives are typically about $80 to $85 USD.
ECC server memory in uDimm format has risen in price lately. :( 8 GB RAM should be adequate. (I purchased 16 GB when it was much cheaper.)
Intel SSD of 256GB is about $100 USD.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lenovo TS140 and Dell PowerEdge T30 (coupon code "329T30") systems go on sale for about $329 to $349 USD a few times each year.
Western Digital Red or Purple 2TB drives are typically about $80 to $85 USD.
ECC server memory in uDimm format has risen in price lately. :( 8 GB RAM should be adequate. (I purchased 16 GB when it was much cheaper.)
Intel SSD of 256GB is about $100 USD.
This has quicksync? I want to get something with quicksync enabled, guess you have to use the motherboard video card to do this? I want to have a computer to run BI 24/7 vs a NVR, much better and easier to use.

I love my reolink cameras.

Low light is not GREAT, but it's acceptable for 90% of users besides very nit-picky 'power users' who toy with their own systems.

I have owned 6 Reolink cameras for about 16 months now and NONE have given me any sort of trouble - and actually the police were amazed at the quality of the photos I gave them of a tresspasser months ago. (which probably goes to show you how much analog or crap 480p stuff is out there that people consider 'just fine')

I JUST recently had a RLC-420 camera go down and reolink is warrantying it after owning it for 13 months -AND- buying from a non-approved seller. Which is very nice of them.

Also all four of my outdoor reolink cameras under the recesses of my roof were able to withstand 120MPH winds from hurricane irma and kept recording the whole time before the power and battery backups went out.

nothing but praise from me, and i am a 'power user' who just doesnt see the benefit of using $150 or more (double the price) comparable dahua or hikvision products (per camera).
To each their own, I ran into so many issues that I'm convinced I made the wrong decision when purchasing reolink. And I am not into this, I just want a clear picture without dropping. Reolink software doesn't do it and BI while clear video it skips, other cameras don't have this issue.

Reaction score

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all, just joined the forums specifically because I was looking for camera info. Forget how I found it but... anyway here I am.

I have to say I'm a bit shocked at the hate for Reolink. Granted I haven't done a lot of research... but I'm looking for some real info to compare to other brands. My "something's fishy" alarm has gone off however when considering how prominent a brand Reolink is and the fact that there's no Reolink subform here. If the site cares about unbiased truthful information I would expect a brand of their scope to be listed if nothing else but to assure that the consumers have easy access to real information.

Can anyone point me to real comparisons that will help me understand the hate? I've ordered one of the new 423WS cameras and would like to know why I am an "idiot" as some have said anyone who buys Reolink are....

Also to the sites staff... why no Reolink subform?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all, just joined the forums specifically because I was looking for camera info. Forget how I found it but... anyway here I am.

I have to say I'm a bit shocked at the hate for Reolink. Granted I haven't done a lot of research... but I'm looking for some real info to compare to other brands. My "something's fishy" alarm has gone off however when considering how prominent a brand Reolink is and the fact that there's no Reolink subform here. If the site cares about unbiased truthful information I would expect a brand of their scope to be listed if nothing else but to assure that the consumers have easy access to real information.

Can anyone point me to real comparisons that will help me understand the hate? I've ordered one of the new 423WS cameras and would like to know why I am an "idiot" as some have said anyone who buys Reolink are....

Also to the sites staff... why no Reolink subform?
reolink is not a prominent brand..they just market heavy on amazon and pad their products with fake reviews....search the forum for reolink and you will see why you are an idiot...the image quality is subpar, the firmware is subpar, the company blatantly LIES to its customers AND spams this forum...what more do you need? Fake reviews - Fakespot | Reolink Argus 100 Wire Free Battery Powered Outdoor Indoor 1080p Hd Fake Review Analysis
There is no reolink subforum because reolink is a horrid company and will not be provided a platform here. They have not only deliberately lied to end users about firmware issues but lied directly to me when they spammed this forum. Problem was that they used a reolink.com email - morons. There are much better options at the reolink price point, it makes ZERO sense to go with them. You are VERY misguided about reolink, they are a nothing brand...they dont even register on a sales graph...they are NOT a brand of "scope"..they are a group of shady liars...this site was specifically started to provide accurate information to those who fell for the fake foscam reviews and the like...seems like either you are affiliated with them (I have a bullshit meter too) or you suffer from the same disease that many users suffer from, they cannot admit they failed to do proper research and purchased a piece of crap.

Last edited:

LaZona

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The only good thing about Reolink is that you can return it to Amazon.