Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
First off - Welcome to the forum.

This forum is a great wealth of knowledge and can most likely get you where you need to go as well as cause you to spend way to much money :)

Here are some guides for you to use in getting up to speed on IP technology if you are a novice or even someone just looking to advance your skill set.

Best of luck!

*Disclaimer: I did not write, nor am I the copy right holder to any of these guides.

Attachments

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm bumping this back up into the recent posts/threads.

We seem to have a LOT of new users recently asking the same questions so I want to get these guides back into the recent threads for a day or two so maybe people will take advantage of the resources.

Cheers everyone!

iphelpc

n3wb
Reaction score
First off - Welcome to the forum.

This forum is a great wealth of knowledge and can most likely get you where you need to go as well as cause you to spend way to much money :)

Here are some guides for you to use in getting up to speed on IP technology if you are a novice or even someone just looking to advance your skill set.

Best of luck!

*Disclaimer: I did not write, nor am I the copy right holder to any of these guides.
Thanks! Very helpful. It is people like you that make this an awesome forum!

UBBad

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that contributed to the PDF, it shows me what little I know. Great reading.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Just going back and reviewing what i think I've learned here. Many thanks for this information and to those who run and contribute to this site.

Rocko

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, complete newbie here. Have read as much as I can understain of the attached PDFs but aliitle over my head some of it.

Situation: I would like to purchase 5 cameras. All for outside so require IR capability. One of which I would like to be a PTZ auto tracking cam I was thinking the Dahua 4mp cam. I would like to have remote access via my iPhone tablet. The user interface is important don’t mind spending money on a interface that has good easy to use functions blue iris looks nice? Camera quality is important.

I do not currently have a desktop computer only a laptop that’s probably out of date.

Recommendations on where to go would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried numerous camera installers with no luck. If your not willing to sig up to there monitoring deals they don’t really care. So offer you a low end shity camera system

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have found a lot of great information on this site, since joining in 2017. The problem is remembering it all, so I started collecting "Cliff Notes", and am sharing this as a Google document. It has a table of contents and is searchable. There is alot of information covering from camera placement and selection to initial setup. It focuses on Dahua Starlight cameras, as those are all the rage now, but there is also information on the Annke 161DR cube camera and the LTS Doorbell camera. I have also incorporating a lot of great information from @mat200

IPCamTalk Cliff Notes 2018-01.docx

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have found a lot of great information on this site, since joining in 2017. The problem is remembering it all, so I started collecting "Cliff Notes", and am sharing this as a Google document. It has a table of contents and is searchable. There is alot of information covering from camera placement and selection to initial setup. It focuses on Dahua Starlight cameras, as those are all the rage now, but there is also information on the Annke 161DR cube camera and the LTS Doorbell camera. I have also incorporating a lot of great information from @mat200

IPCamTalk Cliff Notes 2018-01.docx
Awesome job on that document! Thank you for this!

NathanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, new member here. I have recently accepted a position as an estimator for a large security company and am needing some help. Basically I need to learn about system setup/architecture and have questions about what switch to use, when a UPS is needed and what type, etc. for example I am putting together a system for a gym using 8 3mp illustra flex cams I know I need the cameras(duh), the nvr, cable. Now what? Like an example of the parts and pieces would be awesome. POE switches, ups, I need some help. Thanks!!!!

NathanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, new member here. I have recently accepted a position as an estimator for a large security company and am needing some help. Basically I need to learn about system setup/architecture and have questions about what switch to use, when a UPS is needed and what type, etc. for example I am putting together a system for a gym using 8 3mp illustra flex cams I know I need the cameras(duh), the nvr, cable. Now what? Like an example of the parts and pieces would be awesome. POE switches, ups, I need some help. Thanks!!!!
Btw, none of the cable runs are over 100’

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont understand how you can be an estimator when you have never done this before....

NathanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
I dont understand how you can be an estimator when you have never done this before....
First off, thank you for responding and making me feel really awesome about asking that question. Second, maybe I should give a little more info, I know how to put together smaller jobs and hd over coax and BA and FA and Access Control, and I’ve been doing so for about a year now. I have a senior estimator whom I could ask these questions to and who will be helping me along the way while I am still learning the ropes for this position, and I figured I’d join a few forums to try and get as much info about the logic behind some of the larger IP systems as I can, on my own time. I was just looking to be pointed in the right direction and maybe have something to read in layman’s terms about the items I asked about, such as when it’s appropriate to use what and how to figure that out. I have only put together a few of these types of estimates but my employer is impressed with how fast I have picked up on these things and likes the way I put them together. I apologize if I have offended you by even asking and if this is not the place to ask then please tell me where I should go to get more info. I would appreciate any help as I went to school for business and not IT or networking so some of this is just flat out new to me. Maybe that helps you understand where I’m coming from.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have recently accepted a position as an estimator for a large security company and am needing some help. Basically I need to learn about system setup/architecture and have questions...
Well I'd suggest you start by reading the several hundred pages of material attached or linked to this thread. Commercial installs have different requirements from that of a residential homeowner.

A "large security company" should provide their employees with training. I think you should buy yourself a membership to IPVM Video Surveillance Information

Last edited: