REVIEW: Budget 4MP Turret Comparison - IPC-T2431T-AS vs Chinese HDW4433C-A

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
This camera looks fantastic for the money. I'm currently planning a rather large home build and this camera has shot to the top of my list. I was initially looking at the Reolink camera system but I think I'm moving in the direction of BI and Dahua cameras. I'll probably need 12-16 cameras to get sufficient coverage of my home. I have a couple of questions though:
  1. If I buy these cameras from Andy @EMPIRETECANDY , can I upgrade them as new firmware comes out? I've seen the horror stories of the cheaper chinese cameras from Aliexpress and Amazon so I think I'd prefer to pay a little extra to future proof the camera.
  2. Does this model come in a bullet style? Or are the turret style ones ok for outdoor? Is there any benefit/advantage of bullet style ones outside?
  3. What are people's thoughts on the 2.8mm vs 3.6mm one here? I'm thinking the 3.6mm version will give me more detail.
It probably makes sense to buy just one at first just to check it out and make sure I'm happy with it before going ahead with a larger order.

Thanks for your help!

John
All device we are selling now are original english and can be updated.

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice review Biggie:cool: . Still unsure how I missed this review of yours haha. I love the images and test results. May I ask, during night, do the cameras get a glare? I notice "some" dome cameras can get glare/possible sun glare and slight distortion.

TallPaul

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just got one of these from Andy, great performance for the money. The plastic mount is a bit cheap and cheerful if your used to the usual Dahua metal ones but but as mine is going inside a building not a worry.

Anyone tell me if these can be powered from 24v passive POE?

Spec says 802.3af, running out of runs to an outbuilding an ideally would chain this of a 24v poe switch.

Wikipedia suggests 802.3af is 44v minimum so can’t use 24v passive... need to use a pdu maybe?

JayS_IPCams

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just got one of these from Andy, great performance for the money. The plastic mount is a bit cheap and cheerful if your used to the usual Dahua metal ones but but as mine is going inside a building not a worry.

Anyone tell me if these can be powered from 24v passive POE?

Spec says 802.3af, running out of runs to an outbuilding an ideally would chain this of a 24v poe switch.

Wikipedia suggests 802.3af is 44v minimum so can’t use 24v passive... need to use a pdu maybe?
There are PoE splitters you can use if you need more ports. Or if the outbuilding has 120v, then put a PoE switch in that building. I've done that and put the swtich in a "Dri-Box" (its for outdoor power bar/plugs) and its been running fine for over a year like that.

How do you like the 2431? is it worth it, or do you wish you spent 20-30$/cam for a model up?

TallPaul

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
2431 seems good, it stays in colour until very low light, for what I need it wasn’t worth paying more for this location.

Scott Ritchey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FYI, I have two IP cams and a TiVo in my barn, which has 120v power but no hardwire LAN. I use a pair of NanoStation AC Loco 5GHz airMAX bridges and a POE switch to connect to my LAN.

Edit: The two NanoStations cost about $100 but I preferred that to burying a cat5 line. My bridge is only about 50 ft but I think these things can go several miles with a clear shot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Alright. I'm in.
I had just purchased a N45dm62 from B&H (dahua technology n45dm62 | B&H Photo Video) with the much-acclaimed 1/1.8 Starlight sensor-- should arrive in a few days. This will go in an area with decent night lighting. I have some 4+ year old Dahua cams there (crappy by current standards) that stay in color mode all night, so I don't expect the IR's on that dome to ever kick in.
Then I started reading this thread and decided to buy one of these budget turrets too at half the cost of what I just spent on the other. Normally the adage "You get what you pay for" is true-- but I am encouraged by the posts here. I will mount the budget cam at my door where the audio may be more important. I will put the n45dm62 unit in a spot to overlap coverage of the driveway and front yard.
I have been running BlueIris for over 7 years now and never had a cam with a mic. Does BI play nice with audio?

Safetyfirst

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can't wait for your comparison. That price seems great for the 1/1.8 sensor.

Reaction score
Can't wait for your comparison. That price seems great for the 1/1.8 sensor.
Yes--- overdue for an upgrade-- this is what I have been dealing with:
Current cam above front door night image--- definitely time to upgrade... (Dahua 3mp mini-dome)
1588261942027.png

The new 1/1.8 camera will go in this location-- currently an old Dahua 2mp bullet cam
1588262472547.png

It will be interesting to see how field of view will change and how much better the pic quality will be. LOL--- it will probably make me want to spend more money. I'll use the bullet cam in a spot where I don't have a cam now-- not sure what to do with the old mini-dome with terrible low-light quality...

Reaction score
I received a pair of these from Amazon two days ago. Only had time to play with setting up one of them, but the daylight image quality indoors is quite good. Evaluating the outdoor low-light performance will be the deciding factor. Still, they've GOT to be worlds better than the old 4431-C, and they have a microphone, too.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

This model's firmware i make some explaining and updating, guys can check with this link.

Reaction score
I did the firmware update-- all good.
Some screen-grabs from BlueIris...
here is the view from my door now: 1/30th shutter priority setting.
1589520936662.png

I need to make some adjustments-- still playing with settings.
This is at 1/60th shutter priority...1589521181010.png

One thing I am really surprised about is how good the microphone is. I stood at the far mailbox and spoke in a normal voice-- Very clear from 80 to 100 feet away.

8urt0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are these still available I can not seem to find them online anywhere does anybody have a link to anything active was curious to see what they are selling for at the moment.

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just bought one last week at 75ish off amazon from Andy's store. Great quality cam for the price. Just went to buy a couple more on Amazon, and they are out. :(

Reading the thread, I may have to update firmware.

8urt0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just bought one last week at 75ish off amazon from Andy's store. Great quality cam for the price. Just went to buy a couple more on Amazon, and they are out. :(

Reading the thread, I may have to update firmware.
I just found this cam on Andy’s aliexpress store looks like there are 5 of the 2.8mm model in stock.