Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but what is this for exactly?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
The ones in the pictures are for mounting cameras in a soffet location. They slip into the channels that hold the soffet and don't need any holes drilled or made in the soffet or house to mount the camera. The principal can be used to make a cover plate for a round electrical box by continuing the circular cut through the center strip and drilling holes to mount the plate to the box.

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The ones in the pictures are for mounting cameras in a soffet location. They slip into the channels that hold the soffet and don't need any holes drilled or made in the soffet or house to mount the camera. The principal can be used to make a cover plate for a round electrical box by continuing the circular cut through the center strip and drilling holes to mount the plate to the box.
Ah okay. I eneded up just drilling into the soffet lol

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
One of the advantages of these is that you can do a temporary mount to check out the view and relocate as needed since there's no drilling or screwing into the house. I will admit I copied the idea from another user here, but "improved" on his idea to handle the round base of a turret camera. I also use the same style for bullet cameras, but they are going the way of the dodo bird in my case, they just don't work as well.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
From this topic: 20180523 Firmware for DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea
I just installed it on my IPC-HDW5231R-ZE.
Both Chrome and PaleMoon are having trouble displaying the live image (again; I get this problem every time when upgrading firmware).
Both give me this:

This new firmware does give me the 4th option under Profile Management that says 'Day/Night'.
I have selected that (instead of schedule); sunset is in about 5 minutes so we'll see if that works.

EDIT: day/night switching works, but it's very sensitive so it keeps switching between them at the moment.

Playback menu has much more options to select; all the difference IVS methods as well as 'Input Abnormal', 'Defocus detection'.

But I've got more problems; I can't find any of the recorded files in the Playback Menu. There's also only the option for 'dav' download format instead of dav and mp4.

So far; not much of a succes here...

Burton_Flooring

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This does indeed fix the Day/Night switch issue. I tested this by putting a bag over the camera and it switched to my Night Profile and back to my Day profile after I removed it.

If you're having issues w/ it switching back and forth at the dusk/twilight moment, change the day/night sensitivity to low in both Profiles BEFORE you select "Day/Night" in Profile Management settings (as once this is selected the day/night sensitivity options are grayed out in the profile settings).

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys

I am thinking to add black color for the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, will be good or not? Because many guys ask for black cams. So i am thinking if can get black one. Because they require a 300pcs orders per one time. So need do some researches

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am thinking to add black color for the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, will be good or not? Because many guys ask for black cams. So i am thinking if can get black one. Because they require a 300pcs orders per one time. So need do some researches
Personally, I do not like black cams, but I know a lot of folks do.

I guess the risk for you would be if another model (like the 2231) becomes the most popular Starlight, it may take you longer to sell through the black versions of this model?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Personally, I do not like black cams, but I know a lot of folks do.

I guess the risk for you would be if another model (like the 2231) becomes the most popular Starlight, it may take you longer to sell through the black versions of this model?
yes, will check it out. Maybe still go with the sliver color only.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys

Hi Andy,

I like white best - less issues with heat. Older style model worked well painting it to match houses.

More light colored houses in the USA - so while black looks "cool" it would really stick out on a house.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Andy,

I like white best - less issues with heat. Older style model worked well painting it to match houses.

More light colored houses in the USA - so while black looks "cool" it would really stick out on a house.
Yes, i agree with that, but good news is we can book black color if really need black.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
2 types of people in my experience.
1> Hide the cams so they are not obtrusive to the eye. Catch the crook.
2> (me) Let everyone see that you have cams. Prevent the crook.
Yes, good logic.

With the WAF issues - perhaps black works better in business buildings? ( though I would still be concerned with the additional heat build up due to radiant heat in the sun )

I was thinking the perfect place for black cameras would be in night clubs and the like which have black painted ceilings / walls. ( starlight + black cases would work well here )

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
2 types of people in my experience.
1> Hide the cams so they are not obtrusive to the eye. Catch the crook.
2> (me) Let everyone see that you have cams. Prevent the crook.

Seems if they see them, here in CLE OH, they're brazen and just hide their faces.

I like to surprise them. But these are certainly hard to hide, lol. I put one up with some floodlights above it to make it potentially look like a fancy motion sensing yard light to the casual mope that doesn't look too close at stuff.

Of course now with the Ring Floodlight Cams getting common here, the mopes are wary of that as well.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Seems if they see them, here in CLE OH, they're brazen and just hide their faces.

I like to surprise them. But these are certainly hard to hide, lol. I put one up with some floodlights above it to make it potentially look like a fancy motion sensing yard light to the casual mope that doesn't look too close at stuff.

Of course now with the Ring Floodlight Cams getting common here, the mopes are wary of that as well.
Hi JDWX -

Best bet is EYE LEVEL and with enough resolution to get as many pimples as possible for ID purposes ;-)

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi JDWX -

Best bet is EYE LEVEL and with enough resolution to get as many pimples as possible for ID purposes ;-)

Oh, no doubt best practice. Sadly, placement is always a dilemma here in the "hood".

In a few areas like the floodlight mentioned above, they're mounted higher than I'd like since the local actors would try to pry it off the wall or smash it :( I'm waiting for my porch/eye level front door cams to get damaged for spite since they'll be hard to remove as I put them in with 3" Torx Deck screws. I have an extra Starlight here that is meant for install on the garage door overhang facing an alleyway. Prime location, but low hanging fruit for the nefarious passerby types and prime for attracting damage.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, no doubt best practice. Sadly, placement is always a dilemma here in the "hood".

In a few areas like the floodlight mentioned above, they're mounted higher than I'd like since the local actors would try to pry it off the wall or smash it :( I'm waiting for my porch/eye level front door cams to get damaged for spite since they'll be hard to remove as I put them in with 3" Torx Deck screws. I have an extra Starlight here that is meant for install on the garage door overhang facing an alleyway. Prime location, but low hanging fruit for the nefarious passerby types and prime for attracting damage.
Hi @JDWX

Proper placement of cameras is CRITICAL - and yes that does mean it potentially puts the camera in harms way.

Thankfully the Dahua OEM 2MP starlight cameras are fairly sturdy cameras with nice metal cases and can take more abuse than other cameras which are popular with consumers.

The IPC-HDW42xx model, the classic IPC-HDW5231R-Z model, and the mini-dome wedge ( as well as the new dual lens version of that ) are all good solid products which I would certain have no issues placing at eye level, and as you note - use good long deck screws into the framing / studs of the walls to make it hard to remove.

Also, I really like the idea of having 2 cameras covering critical areas - so that if they turn away from one camera - hopefully the other will catch them.

Furthermore - I would also consider a couple of hidden cameras if I still lived in a higher threat environment. ( thankfully got the local hood drug den closed by having the denizens landlord proceed with a successful eviction. )