Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

myipcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman! I think the pre-trigger was 0.0 during testing. Now made it 5.0 seconds. The make time is set to 0.0. How does this affect the triggers? I would like it to be immediate. Also, I noticed "Clip Write Errors" popping up every once in a while. All of this is still in "testing" phase and hasn't moved to "Production", if you will. Of course, I need to learn a bit especially about BlueIris and its tips/tricks. Reading different threads...( not getting enough time to do so..) and popping here once in a while. For clip errors, I think it's you that mentioned to go to CBR. So, moved the Cameras to CBR (at 30fps). Will let it run tonight and see what comes up.

I know you said 15fps is all you need. However, I do like the smooth motion when advancing frame by frame... maybe once I get tired or the "new" factor wears off, I'd probably find the wisdom in how you guys are implementing it. For now, it is still a new toy :)..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman! I think the pre-trigger was 0.0 during testing. Now made it 5.0 seconds. The make time is set to 0.0. How does this affect the triggers? I would like it to be immediate. Also, I noticed "Clip Write Errors" popping up every once in a while. All of this is still in "testing" phase and hasn't moved to "Production", if you will. Of course, I need to learn a bit especially about BlueIris and its tips/tricks. Reading different threads...( not getting enough time to do so..) and popping here once in a while. For clip errors, I think it's you that mentioned to go to CBR. So, moved the Cameras to CBR (at 30fps). Will let it run tonight and see what comes up.

I know you said 15fps is all you need. However, I do like the smooth motion when advancing frame by frame... maybe once I get tired or the "new" factor wears off, I'd probably find the wisdom in how you guys are implementing it. For now, it is still a new toy :)..
the make time should not be zero otherwise you will will get tons of false alerts..see help file and instructional videos.

myipcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One thing I can't seem to come to terms with is the mounting height... right now, I got it installed at about 10 or 11 ft. It does make a difference. I can see someone approaching but the 2mp is not enough resolution to positively I'd. If i zoom in, FOV and coverage changes... and that may not work either as it narrows the FOV.. (camera is looking down at a ~35° angle).

Just that aesthetics also play a big role in my head... I know, I know, it is a security camera and its purpose...
Thinking long and hard, more cameras seems to be the key and at key locations and heights. I like this location and will order a 8mp just for this outside coverage and starlights at strategic locations for id purposes...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I can't seem to come to terms with is the mounting height... right now, I got it installed at about 10 or 11 ft. It does make a difference. I can see someone approaching but the 2mp is not enough resolution to positively I'd. If i zoom in, FOV and coverage changes... and that may not work either as it narrows the FOV.. (camera is looking down at a ~35° angle).

Just that aesthetics also play a big role in my head... I know, I know, it is a security camera and its purpose...
Thinking long and hard, more cameras seems to be the key and at key locations and heights. I like this location and will order a 8mp just for this outside coverage and starlights at strategic locations for id purposes...
More resolution wont help a bad angle.

myipcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
More resolution wont help a bad angle.
I hear you. This would probably be serving as a general overview type looking at the road, traffic etc., while I find/install statstatlights in key places... at least that's what I am thinking right now..

I'll take pics tomorrow of the front door and rear/deck entrance and show what I am dealing with...

farnk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does DAhua even make a 940nm (not visible to human eyes) IR camera....Or if you chose to turn off internal IR would a Dahua be able to detect and use 940nm external IR? I thought you might have to be sensor specific to the IR wavelength for 940nm to work.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does DAhua even make a 940nm (not visible to human eyes) IR camera....Or if you chose to turn off internal IR would a Dahua be able to detect and use 940nm external IR? I thought you might have to be sensor specific to the IR wavelength for 940nm to work.
Dahua cam can see 940, just not as well. So you need more of than the other.

LVoss

n3wb
Reaction score
This question is key to my design. I’ve not seen any information on here so far concerning external 940 lighting. On a dark fence line camera, a red glow will show the intruders exactly where to shut down the surveillance. Is there data showing the cameras’ capability spectrum / read? This is a make/break for me. The woods are pretty dark!

I will search the forum to see if there is info on external illumination. As you can see I am new, but learning a great deal. Thank you all very much for sharing your knowledge.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This question is key to my design. I’ve not seen any information on here so far concerning external 940 lighting. On a dark fence line camera, a red glow will show the intruders exactly where to shut down the surveillance. Is there data showing the cameras’ capability spectrum / read? This is a make/break for me. The woods are pretty dark!

I will search the forum to see if there is info on external illumination. As you can see I am new, but learning a great deal. Thank you all very much for sharing your knowledge.
You are WAY overthinking what the intruders do. You are not a bank. This is not oceans 11. They have eyes, they can see your cams without IR light or can come during the daytime. All these cameras can see 940, you just need much more of it, a waste of time and money. In fact you want your cameras known so that they dont come by in the first place. A face mask will make any video you obtain worthless as well regardless of IR visibility.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Start here: Cliff Notes

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
One other comment about 650nm IR...If they get close enough to destroy the illuminator you've already got a closeup of their face, anyway,if they're not wearing a mask. Alternately, install the illuminators well above reach.

carbonita

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Set up another camera to watch for tampering on first camera, as well as increase FOV. I have 10 configured this way (yes, I'm retired with plenty o'time -- and I've caught attempted tampering this way). Alternately, rig a PIR (or other) sensor to turn on the IR illuminator only when tripped.

Last edited:

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I've always made it a habit to install cameras so their views overlap and they watch each other. Goes back to my days, many, many, moons ago in the security business.

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Is it possible to zoom the Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE camera using the UI3 zoom controls?