Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, when buying from the Amazon store, will it come with the right US firmware? Do I have to be concerned about firmware for the NVR, cameras, or both?
They will come with the international firmware. No need to be concerned about firmware, unless you are having problems. That's rare.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
About that microphone, has anyone had the idea of placing some sort of foam on top of it, to reduce wind noise? Just a little piece could be enough.

Servetech

n3wb
Reaction score
Set a computer to the same ip range as the nvr.
Connect that computer to one of the Poe ports on the nvr. You can then connect to cams web interface.
So I tried these steps and it didn't work. My NVR is 10.0.4.x and then the camera is showing 10.1.1 from the NVR. I changed my IP on the laptop to reflect the network settings 10.1.1 and then plugged the laptop in to the POE port of the nvr. I was not able to Ping the cam nor was I able to see the camera in the ConfigTool.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
About that microphone, has anyone had the idea of placing some sort of foam on top of it, to reduce wind noise? Just a little piece could be enough.
If the 5231R-ZE is like the 5631R-ZE, I've never noticed any wind noise on mine.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I tried these steps and it didn't work. My NVR is 10.0.4.x and then the camera is showing 10.1.1 from the NVR. I changed my IP on the laptop to reflect the network settings 10.1.1 and then plugged the laptop in to the POE port of the nvr. I was not able to Ping the cam nor was I able to see the camera in the ConfigTool.
Computer NIC need to be set to 10.10.1.X, where "x" is an unused number from 1 to 255. The network cable needs to be plugged in to an unused NVR POE port, not the NVR network uplink port. The 1st cam plugged in to the NVR usually defaults to 10.1.1.60, if my memory serves me. You can ping that address from a command window to confirm once your NIC is configured and connected. Use an IE browser and type 10.1.1.60 in the address bar. Load the two plug ins and log in to the camera with its credentials. Administer away from there.

We have no idea what your networking skills are, so some of the above steps may require research or more questions.

SD

Servetech

n3wb
Reaction score
I setup the laptop with the NVR switch information using 10.1.1.67, 255.255.255.0. Connected it the NVR open port, not the upink. I was not able to see, ping or arp the ip cam with address 10.1.1.65. So I went to Microcenter and purchased a POE Switch and then plugged the ipcam and laptop into it. Instantly I was able to see and connect to the cam.

There may be something on the NVR that is not allowing me to connect to the camera directly.

All, Thank you for your help and responses.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the unifi injector seems to work(during my 5 mins test :)
The lack of sufficient documentation of PoE standards on the current injectors that come with the UniFi AP’s is annoying, and their past use of passive PoE raises a cautionary flag. But thanks for the confirmation, as I may be able to (someday) use the three injectors I have now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SSD1

n3wb
Reaction score
For anybody who’s interested, the PFB203W is combinable with the PFA137. In some cases like mine you’ll need the PFA137 in addition to get a little distance to the PFB203W.
View attachment 27566
Just out of curiosity, how did you make it all black? What did you use, as I can see that it's still factory white along some of the edges. Thanks.

SSD1

n3wb
Reaction score
Guys, I've read the thread, but I'm still in some doubts. From all the QC issues, would you still recommend R-Z over R-ZE, or is R-ZE that much better that it's worth going for it?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Guys, I've read the thread, but I'm still in some doubts. From all the QC issues, would you still recommend R-Z over R-ZE, or is R-ZE that much better that it's worth going for it?
If the QC issues were more widespread, there would be more posts about them.

I prefer the look of the Z over the ZE.

SSD1

n3wb
Reaction score
If the QC issues were more widespread, there would be more posts about them.

I prefer the look of the Z over the ZE.
Thanks. I'm the other way around, I really prefer the looks of the ZE. :)

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I like the camera itself, but when placed on the wall, there is a big black "spot" on my wall.