Review-IP Villa Outdoor Doorbell Station & Indoor Monitor Kit

Badstraw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
here’s a link to the update:

DH_VTHX421L_MultiLang_SIP_V4.500.0000001.0.R.210714

and there’s another one if you go to the product page:

DH_VTHX421H_MultiLang_SIP_V4.500.0000002.0.R.210713

I think the first link is the latest firmware IMO.

There’s no micro sd slot but I’m sure it comes with an SD card because it allows you to record and leave messages, and the specs say that you can upgrade it to 32G.

Badstraw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
it’s probably the second one, look:

DH_VTHX421H_MultiLang_SIP_V4.500.0000002.0.R.210713

go to the downloads page..

Badstraw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I uploaded a new ringtone to the VTO and replaced the "calling" option, now it sounds like it was a regular doorbell. ( if you guys wanna use it just rename the .txt file attached to .mp3) If you want to mute the other voice responses it's necessary to upload a 20kb file filled with silence.

So then I unscrewed the back of the VTH to remove the SD card, created a Ring folder and uploaded a .pcm ringtone for the VTH.

IMG_4622.jpg

Attachments

Badstraw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
there you go, just change the .txt to .mp3 and upload it to your VTO.
when someone hits my call button, i wanted @looney2ns voice to come out and say 'get off my lawn' :)
there you go, just change the .txt to .mp3 and upload it to your VTO.

Not his voice, but quite similar :p

Attachments

Last edited:

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Reaction score
I will be attempting editing sounds (I'm actually ok with the default calling sound but I could change in the future).
Right now, I am wiresharking the VTO to see how things are done. I cant get notification/incoming ring on my DDSS app so gotta find out why.
I see where SIP packets are sent to the VTH's as "trying" when call button is pushed. "Dialog Established" when one of the VTH's answers. Using g.711 compression (not shabby as most SIP phones use the same) PCMU. I see the "H264" protocol being sent from the VTO to 224.0.2.14 (I assume that is something like Multicast), lots of talk between the VTO/VTH.
Cool stuff :) Lots of gibberish I do not understand.
I'll keep a posting of my finding. Might be of some interest to those who troubleshoot.
I can tell something is amiss with my config. My VTO only sent INVITES to the 2 VTH's (because they are registered). When I try to register (or subscribe) on the DMSS app, it fails.

Last edited:

Badstraw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I will be attempting editing sounds (I'm actually ok with the default calling sound but I could change in the future).
Right now, I am wiresharking the VTO to see how things are done. I cant get notification/incoming ring on my DDSS app so gotta find out why.
I see where SIP packets are sent to the VTH's as "trying" when call button is pushed. "Dialog Established" when one of the VTH's answers. Using g.711 compression (not shabby as most SIP phones use the same) PCMU. I see the "H264" protocol being sent from the VTO to 224.0.2.14 (I assume that is something like Multicast), lots of talk between the VTO/VTH.
Cool stuff :) Lots of gibberish I do not understand.
I'll keep a posting of my finding. Might be of some interest to those who troubleshoot.
I can tell something is amiss with my config. My VTO only sent INVITES to the 2 VTH's (because they are registered). When I try to register (or subscribe) on the DMSS app, it fails.
Maybe you need to update the firmware?
I’m thinking about updating my VTH, have you tried unbricking yours?

I‘m asking just in case XD

Reaction score
I'm working on the VTO as we speak. Gots the VTO to ring my DMSS app if I allow the VTO open ports to the internet, without the use of P2P. Now to see how I can only allow what's needed.
And then yes...will attempt VTH rescue. Not hopeful because right on boot up, it resets. I do not think it even gets 10% into the bootup.

Badstraw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm working on the VTO as we speak. Gots the VTO to ring my DMSS app if I allow the VTO open ports to the internet, without the use of P2P. Now to see how I can only allow what's needed.
And then yes...will attempt VTH rescue. Not hopeful because right on boot up, it resets. I do not think it even gets 10% into the bootup.

Check this thread, almost all Dahua devices at boot will for a moment initialize a network connection to look for a file named upgrade_info_7db780a713a4.txt on a TFTPserver. You should be able to extract the .bin file to a folder and use all the files to recover your VTH .

Last edited:

cousinjoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anyone update the firmware on a mac? I typically use the Dahua ConfigTool app to update firmware on my other cameras, but for some reason the doorbell cam isn't showing up to be able to update and there's nowhere in the web interface to update the firmware like there is on other cameras. Am I missing something obvious?

Reaction score
Anyone update the firmware on a mac? I typically use the Dahua ConfigTool app to update firmware on my other cameras, but for some reason the doorbell cam isn't showing up to be able to update and there's nowhere in the web interface to update the firmware like there is on other cameras. Am I missing something obvious?
what version of ConfigTool are you using? The older one....VTO's did not show up, had to use VDConfig tool. But the new ConfigTool (v5) seems to do it all now.

cousinjoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also odd that the app itself has no "about" info, so you can't even see which version you're currently running. All I know is I downloaded the one from the Dahua website today just to make sure it was the latest: Maintenance Tools. The current active link is for file: General_ConfigTool-MAC_Eng_V2.001.0000001.3.R.200630.tar.gz.

Reaction score
Also odd that the app itself has no "about" info, so you can't even see which version you're currently running. All I know is I downloaded the one from the Dahua website today just to make sure it was the latest: Maintenance Tools. The current active link is for file: General_ConfigTool-MAC_Eng_V2.001.0000001.3.R.200630.tar.gz.
under Versions on screen, you will see v5.0000 For PC.
But I see you are using a Mac. Dunno's about that.

cousinjoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
under Versions on screen, you will see v5.0000 For PC.
But I see you are using a Mac. Dunno's about that.
Yeah, looks like I'll have to go and run the Config Tool through my Blue Iris PC box to do the updates for the doorbell. Be nice if they had these very basic of apps updated to work on a mac. Thanks!

Badstraw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah I have a Mac but the tool isn’t compatible with the latest macOS version, it won’t recognize your devices. You should update it with a PC. :)

Badstraw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay I tried updating the firmware on my VTH, but nothing happens when I hit the “operate” button. It just gives me a warning that I shouldn’t disconnect it while the firmware gets updated and then goes straight to 100% and that’s it. It won’t reboot or anything and works normally. (My vth version is V4.410.0000000.5.R)
I tried twice but I stopped because I don’t want to brick it.. I’m using this firmware DH_VTHX421H_MultiLang_SIP_V4.500.0000002.0.R.210713

Do you guys have an idea of what could be wrong? I did update my vto a couple of days ago.

Reaction score
Okay I tried updating the firmware on my VTH, but nothing happens when I hit the “operate” button. It just gives me a warning that I shouldn’t disconnect it while the firmware gets updated and then goes straight to 100% and that’s it. It won’t reboot or anything and works normally. (My vth version is V4.410.0000000.5.R)
I tried twice but I stopped because I don’t want to brick it.. I’m using this firmware DH_VTHX421H_MultiLang_SIP_V4.500.0000002.0.R.210713

Do you guys have an idea of what could be wrong? I did update my vto a couple of days ago.
might be best to leave firmware update alone. I have already bricked one. Andy told me there is no recourse for bricking them.