Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera.

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've not swapped a lens on the ColorVu (yet) but I'm pretty sure it's an M16 lens like the 8MP models where I've done that.
That's a really good shout thank-you on the different lens size, I never considered that!

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you have a fair amount of ambient night lighting e.g. street lights? Can you post some footage with movement?
I'll get the camera mounted outside soon and get some up as it's perched on a window sill at the moment, I'm going to do a straight swap for the 2335 later on the front of the house weather permitting.

For this one there is street lighting so I can try and rely on that - I'm not sure what effect the 59225 IR will have though as have seen ColorVu footage with a purple tint where IR is involved.

It will be interesting how the other cameras handle a bit of extra light if the LED is turned on.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm going to do a straight swap for the 2335 later
I'd be interested in your thoughts on the two, I'm running mostly 2335FWD-I or the varifocal equivalent. All locked in colour with visible LED flood lights on. They're good at 1/25th for still scenes, but I need closer to 1/100th for limiting blur on stills. The YouTube reviews seem to gloss over exposure speeds and don't show moving subjects.

One issue you may find is insects will be attracted to the onboard white light. I get them bombarding the flood lights some nights, but as they're a metre or so away from the cameras it's not too much of a problem.

(I've found the 2335's and my one Dahua 5231 about the same for low light.)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no event 'Linkage action' to activate the supplemental white-light LEDs, unlike Dahua's motion-triggered spotlight models. Perhaps a firmware update beyond the 5.6.2 will change that.
With the publication of the 5.6.4 version of the firmware - I'd hoped that maybe there would be an event linkage to turn on the LED light.
But unfortunately there was not.
With the hint from @EMPIRETECANDY that it's a feature Hikvision may incorporate, I wonder if there is any news on the possibility.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Has anyone set this camera up on tinycam pro? I just replaced an existing camera to try out the low light performance. Curiously though, I can't get an image in Tinycam pro even though it works fine on the web and IVMS-4500 app.

In tinycam I select a Hikvision 2142 (since this camera isn't available), setup the IP address, web port, jpeg snapshot then user name and password. At the top camera reads as "OK", but then gets a video failed 405 error? Is there a setting in the camera itself that doesn't work at default with TinyCam?

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It works fine for me here in the latest Android version of Tiny Cam Pro - I've got it set as a DS-2CD2442F-I(W) and it's working perfectly fine.

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up - I only got 5.6.3 installed a couple of days ago! I did see in one of the DVS tests I think it was saying they'd also requested the light be turned on in reaction to a smart event such as motion detected.

I've just checked the switch and it's showing power usage around 5w with the LED on auto brightness with max brightness at 50%. Running at full res at 12Mbps.

My Dahua 59225 PTZ is pulling 16w currently so even with the white LED on it doesn't use much power

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just tried another sample at 1/12 and the same settings as before which is much brighter but much more motion blur - the bigger sensor makes all the difference for colour at night and certainly lives up to the ColorVu branding.

I've gone back to 1/500 for now to see how it goes through the night as it's got more noise but keeps things sharp enough for me and will be playing over the next couple of weeks to try and dial it in here.

Attachments

Last edited:

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the clips. It looks like you're lucky and have a lot of ambient lighting around to help out- 1/500th at night is amazing.

How does it compare to your 5231 or 2335's- is it a big improvement?

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the clips. It looks like you're lucky and have a lot of ambient lighting around to help out- 1/500th at night is amazing.

How does it compare to your 5231 or 2335's- is it a big improvement?
The biggest thing from the 2335 is the aspect ratio difference of the sensor & lens. On the 2335 I could easily fit the full length of the left hand estate car in but I can't dial this one in.

With this new ColorVu camera the picture is sharper across the entire frame (my 2335 was soft towards one side) and I get a much wider view but with less height due to the aspect ratio difference.

The 2335 was 2048 x 1536 (4:3) and this 2347 is 2688 × 1520 (16:9) - the lens must have different specs as well as it's definitely got less image height available and warps more at the sides. Both 2,8mm lenses.

It's not optimal currently in terms of where it's looking but there is a reason - drug dealers are frequently dealing at the top right of the image frame so that's why it looks a bit strange for placement - when that's all dealt with (hopefully) I can then dial it in a bit better. That's not a drug dealer in the pic but the local milk delivery woman :)

The mic so far has been very good too!

Here are two images showing the different view - these are mounted flush on the house wall in the exact same place.

2335:

Front 2020-03-07 20.57.08.176.jpg

2347:

ColorVu1 2020-03-10 03.07.20.461.jpg
ColorVu1 2020-03-10 13.46.07.263.jpg

Last edited:

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It works fine for me here in the latest Android version of Tiny Cam Pro - I've got it set as a DS-2CD2442F-I(W) and it's working perfectly fine.
Thanks, what settings are you using for the feed in tinycam. A jpeg image?

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hopefully this will help - if you pick the model and leave defaults apart from IP, username and password that should then work straight away. If you change the default ports you would need to update that too.

Screenshot_20200310_170402_com.alexvas.dvr.pro.jpg

Last edited:

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
With this new ColorVu camera the picture is sharper across the entire frame (my 2335 was soft towards one side) and I get a much wider view but with less height due to the aspect ratio difference.
Yes, the fixed lenses on the 2335 can be less than optimal for sharpness and focus across the FOV. The varifocal version is a lot sharper (and includes a mic input.)

The ColorVu does seem like a decent step up.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hopefully this will help - if you pick the model and leave defaults apart from IP, username and password that should then work straight away. If you change the default ports you would need to update that too.
Weird. Have the same settings, but just get a black screen. All my other cameras are fine. They all require JPEG protocol to work, not RTSP over STP. This one doesn't work with either.

Hmmm...wonder if it's a password thing. I.e., I'm using the NVR password in Tinycam which is the same password I use for the other individual cameras, but in all honesty, I can't recall if I changed the passwords originally to be the same.

Was there a default password the cameras come with?

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You have to set one at first login - try logging into the default IP printed on the box and see if you can get in

There's also the SADP tool that should tell you the ip, change your laptop temporarily to match and try to connect.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have it connected to my Hikvision NVR, maybe when I get a chance I will connect it directly to the router and bypass the NVR. See if the password is the issue.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The colorvu cameras do not need to have the LED on. Those LED's are only rated to have 65 ft range. You can actually log into the camera directly and turn it off under "configuration" along with raising and lowering the intensity of the light. I don't have the LED turned on for mine. The only lighting that my colorvu can receive is the neighbor across the street from their porch light. This is a good 200 ft if not more. My property has big trees so camera is not able to get any lighting from the stars/moon and it is still able to produce a sharp color picture. Darkfighters facing the same areas with the IR on looks okay but is black/white. With the IR off and playing with the settings it is able to get color but has a lot of noise in the picture.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cheapest I have seen for colorvu cameras is around $150 for the turrets. The mini bullets are in the same price range and the normal bullets are roughly $20 more because those come with a junction box inside.

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I did try with the LED light off but for movement motion sharpness drops and noise ramps up at the 1/500 frame rate I'm using here - the light works well for us as although there are a few LED street lights on our street it's too dark to see where you're putting the key etc.

Plus the added bonus is with the light on you can't see the camera when you look at it.

It's picked up one drug drop so far, the tenant has had a letter so expect it'll all stop for 3 weeks and then resume in 4.

I'd quite like to see the sensor used in this in a dashcam - does anyone know what it is please? The tools I have won't decode the G1 firmware.